Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Soon Light, on again

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Soon Light, on again

All,

My Service Engine Soon Light in my 02 Disco2has come once again (mileage is currently 31k). Last time this happenedwas back in April. Took it to Advacne Auto Zone and they once agian pulled up the same code: P1415

Found on internet that P1415 == Secondary Air System, Bank 2, Drive Cycle D: Signal. Land Rover CD lists P1415 as being the result of a disconnected or blocked SAI delivery pipe, diconnected or blocked vacuum pipe, etc.......

Last time it was a loose connection of theSAI delivery pipe @ the SAI Pump. I have checked all connections of the SAI delivery pipe(s) and vacuum hoses, verified that there is vacumm @ the SAI Control Valves @ startup, and vacuum @vacuum reservoir.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge with the SAI PUMP? Does the foam filter in the pump need to be cleaned periodically?

Anyone have any experience or knowledge with the SAI Control Valves? Do they ever "stick"? I could feel exhaust pulsations when I put my hand on top of SAI Control Valves (w/cold engine running), but have not taken things apart to verify that they are indeed opening/closing.

One last curiosity question, does the SES light function at all as a "service reminder" that is triggered at a certain mileage?

Any help/thoughts are appreciated,
JeffQ

Old 10-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Service Engine Soon Light, on again

I have a D1, so it is a different animal. I have a check engine light and a service engine light. Service engine is for an emissions reminder. Don't think it goes off at 30K though. Just swing by autozone on the way home and have the codes pulled to see.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the response.

I stopped by Advance Auto Parts yesterday and had them read the Code. Itis the same as it was the last time it went off last April-> P1415.

I am, after multiple system checks, unfortunately beginning to think that my Secondary Air Pump may have Sh*t-the-Bed []. Need to check it once more to be sure.

JeffQ

Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Mudding

Save your money , if the air pump was bad you will get faults for both banks, and there is no maintenence for the pump. the valve at that bank is indead sticking or not getting a good vaccum supply. To check the operation of the divertervalves, I use a regular vaccum pump with the engine running , the open valve will cause a fairly loud exhaust noise. I've seen several DII's getting oil in the vaccum lines, that cause them to swell and fall off or just become loose enough to leak the nessary vaccum. you can use simple wire ties to tighten the hose nipples,the oil is from theconnection at the passenger side rocker cover. it has a veary small orface but I found out by ordering a new rocker cover that the design was changed, (smaller orface) goofey system ?and never saw any tech bullitin .the vehicles I've done the rocker cover and new vaccum harnesses on have never come back with this issue. but those cars had more codes because the vaccum lines were really loose.
If your lines are tight just get a valve , I've done a few

Old 10-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Drifting

Dirtyduk,

Thanks for the reply. I have been able to confirm since yesterday that my Secondary Air Pump is indeed functioning. I think the ambient temp yesterday was too close to the 68degF listed in the manual, as a result, the pump was not cycling for long if at all. This morning it was 48degF and I heard the pump cycle and run during the cold start/run sequence.

Sooooo, I'll go ahead and order a valve [&o], check the rocker cover orifice [>:]and zip tie the vacuum lines as an extra measure .

Thanks again for the help,
JeffQ

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Rock Crawling

dirtyduk, you're right about the oil in the vacuum lines. The line closest to the rocker panel has some gooey old oil on the rubber hose attachment and is starting to slip. Good advice, think I'll clean off the residue and zip tie it tight to avoid any issues down the road. Just as a commentary, this secondary air system is really ridiculous and I wish I could just disconnect it. It's noisy and has potential for issues, and fail to believe it reduces emissions enough to make a sh*t of a difference.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Drifting

jdelp & dirtyduk,

Based on the description in the manual I think the real functional purpose of the SAS is to "light" or heat-up the catalytic convertors faster, thereby reducing emissions by getting the Cat Conv(s) up to functional temp faster. Sound correct?

Finding a way to bypass the system such that it would not cause the ECU to throw a code would be great and I think the only functional diff would be that the Cat Conv(s) would take a bit longer to warm to operating temp.

Just my 2 cents......

Old 09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Overlanding

I seem to have the same issue but how can you tell which valve to replace? If I remember it said bank 2 on the reader.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Drifting

dewhorse,

If memory serves me correctly, Bank 2 is the rightside of the engine, as viewed from the passenger compartment. DiscoMike or one of the other LR Gurus on the forum should be able to confirm whether I am right or wrong.

In my case, I eneded up not having to do anything other than check over connections. I found that my faults (3 instances) were mostly just "buggy" Land Rover Quirksthat eventually went away each time after about 10-12 engine start cycles and may well have been the result of my driving habits at the time -> 1 mile distance back and forth from work that never allowed the Rover to get truly warm, even if I ran errands around town. I am currently driving 50-60 miles a day with my D2 till I find a commuter car and my Disco is running great.....and nofaults to date......

Before you go and replace one of the valves, go and check all the connections including: all the Secindary Air Injection hose connections at the pump, the vacuum reservoir connections,and the vacuum line connections at the Valves. The first time that my light came on it was bacause the "snap" connection at the SAI Pump was not completely clipped to the pump. The other instances I think were related to moisture and not allowing my D2 to warm up fully (my bad). As a lot of folks here will attest, Rovers like to be used and suffer from dis-use. Also remove the vacuum hoses as the air valves and verify that the valves are receiving the vacuum needed for operation.

Hope this helps.

JeffQ

Old 09-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Overlanding

Thanks...it does, I am going to check the connections first, I just what to be sure as the dealer closes at 4 tomorrow if I need the part.

thanks again

Mine gets allot of use, about 3000-4000 a month