Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Stiff clutch and struggle to put it into gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:44 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff clutch and struggle to put it into gear

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and would firstly like to say hi to you all. I just got myself a second hand W reg freelander. It has a few problems but nothing I want to talk about today. What I would like, is help on diagnosing the problem that just occurred tonight. My clutch cable seams to have tightened incredibly since this morning and is now taking the **** when trying to put it in gear. I think I need a new clutch cable but I'm not sure if it could be anything else. I have checked the clutch master cylinder and there is plenty of fluid in there so my guess is the cable. If anyone has any other ideas I would greatly appreciate It. Also are the clutches common problems with the freelanders ??

Thanks Mike

Old 03-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stiff clutch response

Originally Posted by Mikeyboi
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and would firstly like to say hi to you all. I just got myself a second hand W reg freelander. It has a few problems but nothing I want to talk about today. What I would like, is help on diagnosing the problem that just occurred tonight. My clutch cable seams to have tightened incredibly since this morning and is now taking the **** when trying to put it in gear. I think I need a new clutch cable but I'm not sure if it could be anything else. I have checked the clutch master cylinder and there is plenty of fluid in there so my guess is the cable. If anyone has any other ideas I would greatly appreciate It. Also are the clutches common problems with the freelanders ??

Thanks Mike
Hi Mike. As far as I know if you have a clutch master cylinder, you do not have a cable therefore there i no adjustment.

Bleed out the slave cylinder as you would bleed the breaking system. push to floor and hold, crack bleeder screw and retighten then release clutch pedal, The pedal may have to be pulled to top position and will not return by its self until pressing again. Once bleed out is satisfactory, Have someone press the clutch pedal while you have the cap off of the master cyl reservoir. If you see bubbles it is time for either a MC rebuild kit for about 10.00 and about an hour of labor depending skill and willingness. If the fluid is dark, your lip seals are becoming liquified. If one cyl is going, the best is to replace or rebuild both.