Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Range Rover
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Cool 2004 RR-HSE (Steering Wheel Problem)

My 04 RR-HSE's steering wheel has been acting up on me, by not allowing me to adjust it to a certain height level. It prevents me from making it go up or down for some odd reason. It works fine when it comes to adjusting on the reaching distance, and it retracts to its original size upon turning off the vehicle, but for some odd reason the actual side lever which allows it to move up or down does not seem to respond.

I manage to take off the three hex screws located underneath the steering wheels plastic cover, and I checked all the wires to see whether any where burned out, but everything appeared fine. Also, I disconnected and reconnected the actual (white) plastic connector which goes to the lever part, but nothing happen.

If anyone has experienced and manage to fix this problem, your expertise would really be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Keep on Roving..
Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM

check for a power signal to the motor and ground. if its there its the motor. But make sure the recall was done for the steering wheel. There should be a little plastic washer at the other end installed. no washer, it may have broken a piece holding in the other parts.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:37 PM

I am having the same problem on my 2003. It seems to work about every other time I enter the vehicle. Is there a time limit on having the recall done? I'm not sure if this has been done yet as I am not the original owner.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:13 AM

not on the recall I believe but if the dealer said the recall was done have them check to be on the safe side. I saw a few that some other dealer techs let thru only to break later on.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 AM

I'll check on the recall ASAP. Also, I manage to get it working again. First, set the ignition switch towards your on position that the steering wheel is fully extracted because right below the steering wheel there is a plastic cover which has three hex screws. Take those off and seperate tht bottom plastic from the steering wheel.

Secondly, the actual lever which allows you to operate the steering wheels movement, you can actually have that entire assembly part slide out by pushing the small black clip outboard. Upon doing so, there's one of two things it can. First, it's eitherthe first small motor that has a three prong connector to it. It either either gave out and it's no longer working. If not, inside the actual lever which allows you to move the steering wheel, towards the outside part of the assemble, it has 2 small hex screws which must be removed in order to open it up. Upon opening up, there is a circuit board, ensure it's not loose, and because if it is, that might be your problem which is causing your wheel's movement from not adjusting up or down.

Hope this helps and didn't confuse you.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Tags
2003, 2004, adjustment, broken, column, fix, hse, move, movement, moves, problem, range, rover, steering, wheel, wont