General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Don't let your 02 RR HSE Idle too long"

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Don't let your 02 RR HSE Idle too long"

I was looking to purchase an 02 RR HSE with 90k miles and while I was walking around the truck while it was idling with the A/C on the owner said something about how the engine has the tendency of getting too hot while idling. Orange coolant was the type this RR was using.

Do all 02 RR have trouble overheating? I know he should be using the recommended blue coolant or the green coolant instead. Please comment I would like to put this worry to rest.
RROJ

Old 04-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 99 to 02 RRs use the orange coolant by default and it is OK to use it, I recommend the green coolant. The blue coolant is really only for BMWs and is hard to find, so I wouldn't switch to it. If its getting hot at idle it may just need a new fan clutch. Mine went out recently and it is relatively easy to replace. The radiator could be clogged up with debris or the insides are calcified. The rover may not actually be over heating either... you might need to check with an OBD scanner to see what the actual temp is. Shouldn't get above 210F. The a/c fans might not be kicking which is another possibility.

Last edited by LRScott; 04-10-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that it is not really hot out yet, and the owner was worried about it overheating leads me to believe that it has run too hot many times before. You would think that the owner would have had something like this fixed unless it is an expensive repair. I would probably pass on it unless it is a really awesome price and you are ready for a project. The vehicle should be able to idle all day with the A/C on and not run too hot.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you both for your comments it is extremely helpful. I don't want to get in over my head and you both prevented that from happening. At this point he still has not called me back and I thought my price of 10,000 was fair (90k 02 HSE) given the RR was not passing the basic tests. I dont mind if things need to be fixed but I believe the asking price should be reasonable in relation to the work that needs to be done. I hope you both agree.
Regards,
RROJ
P.S. Please let me know if I'm way off base. I use KBB to determine my offer.