Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 shifts to neutral in autostart

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 08:43 AM
Overlanding
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

For information:-

This is the content of the problem report I submitted to my Australian dealer yesterday. I included the TOPIx SSM75717 for the dealers information.

Problem Report – Transmission Shifts to Neutral at Autostart events.

I have had the transmission dropping into Neutral on engine restart happen 30 times in the last eight weeks. See details below.

Note: There is a Land Rover Forums thread which originated on 29 June 2023 following this problem. Thread is named “110 shifts to neutral in autostart” Link is:-

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-112729/page2/

It appears to be a 23MY 110 P300 problem as here are twelve contributors in the thread of whom:-
  • 8/12 show 23 P300
  • 3/12 show “New 110”, “23 Defender”, and “23 4 cyl” as the affected model.
  • 1/12 does not identify the model.TOPIx SSM75717 dated 10-JUNE-2022 for Defender, Discovery and Range Rover is reported as a fix implemented on two of these vehicles however it reports a similar but different failure mode and was reported as not effective on one of these two vehicles.

The TOPIx problem description is:-

Following an auto stop/start event the gear selector displays N (Neutral) without any transmission selector operation. D (Drive) selectable only after P (Park) or R (Reverse) is selected.

In the case of the Forum thread reports none identified that “D (Drive) selectable only after P (Park) or R (Reverse) is selected.In my vehicles case it will go into Drive with one, two or three pulls of the shifter.

Vehicle Failures – Goes to Neutral on Auto restart

The only consistent factor is that the engine has turned off (Green A) at a traffic stop. Does not happen if the engine is running at the stop.

On average it happens every 18auto stop/start traffic stops but has happened two times in a row multiple times, and it seems to happen more frequently on wet days - six times on one wet and windy day recently, twice on the next day which was wet but not windy.

Getting it back into D can take up to three pulls on the selector. Even though I have depressed the brake and clicked the shifter button before selecting D two out of three times it gives the ‘How to select a gear’ message on first pull and needs a second or third pull to go into D without having to release pressure on the brake pedal.It will go into D without having to select P or R first.

I have run four tests of 25 to 35 start/stops under different conditions and have not had a failure on any of the test runs. On three of the test run days I had failures in general traffic conditions before and/or after the test runs. I suspect that a factor may be that some minimum speed point above about 5kph (or a minimum time lag of more than say a minute or more perhaps?) needs to be achieved between stops as a preset for a subsequent failure..

Things which don’t seem to affect whether it happens or not:-
It doesn’t make any difference if HOLD is on or off, nor if HOLD is invoked by selecting auto hold on, by double pulsing the brake pedal or if the car goes into HOLD itself.
Car in front or behind or on either or both sides or none nearby at all.
Uphill or down hill or on the flat.
Cross car traffic or not
Steering position neutral or turned.
Roof rack fitted or not.
Wipers on or off.
Auto wipe on or off.
Number of passengers.
Ride height on auto or manually adjusted.
Radio on or off.
Heater on or off.
ECO mode on or off.
Any of the cruise control/lane keep assist/speed limiting functions.Record of events.
Note there were more events in June than shown, but I didn’t record them. About four or five more.

Note to forum viewers- the list of events below may not be visible to you - it is a record by date and time of the 30 events recorded so far.

[img]blob:https://landroverforums.com/1d31a6cb-c946-493b-a19e-db9faa8394f6[/img]

Last edited by Ross of Anakie; 08-02-2022 at 01:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ross of Anakie:
MattF (08-02-2022), mdgs (08-05-2022), mopadzi (09-14-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 08:28 AM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have the same issue, with my 2023 90 p300. I drive with auto-start and auto-hold on.

When it happens I have to manually release the ebrake, and shift from N to D.

my truck was recently at the dealer for 3 weeks for other issues, the shift-to-N problem they “could not verify”, so nothing was done.

Has anyone gotten any satisfaction on this problem?

Old 08-19-2022, 08:42 AM
Overlanding

Reply to Defender90NY

So far no-one with the problem has reported it to be successfully fixed. My vehicle goes to the dealer in four days time for them to look into it. If they do the transmission control module “fix” it should be obvious within about a week if it is effective - because I get the problem almost every day that I drive it.

I will report what happened at the dealer next week and then update again when I have had a week of testing after that - if they do anything to try fixing it that is.

The following users liked this post:
Defender90NY (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 09:05 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross of Anakie
Reply to Defender90NY

So far no-one with the problem has reported it to be successfully fixed. My vehicle goes to the dealer in four days time for them to look into it. If they do the transmission control module “fix” it should be obvious within about a week if it is effective - because I get the problem almost every day that I drive it.

I will report what happened at the dealer next week and then update again when I have had a week of testing after that - if they do anything to try fixing it that is.
My 2023 90 appears to be fixed after the update in the Topix bulletin slosh64 posted. I took it in and asked them to apply the update. They said they were unable to confirm the issue but applied the update anyways because I had requested it. No issues in the last week using it. It used to happen often enough that I had to disable it every time I drove.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:12 AM
Overlanding

Reply to ADB90

Well, that’s the most positive report to date, thanks.

I will now insist that the update is done on mine next week and let everyone know the result in a week or so.

I am up to 38 events now including three the last day I drove it, so the result should be apparent pretty quickly.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross of Anakie
Reply to ADB90

Well, that’s the most positive report to date, thanks.

I will now insist that the update is done on mine next week and let everyone know the result in a week or so.

I am up to 38 events now including three the last day I drove it, so the result should be apparent pretty quickly.
Are you able to reproduce the issue as much in S mode? I seem to see it less when in that.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:58 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mdgs
Are you able to reproduce the issue as much in S mode? I seem to see it less when in that.

I haven’t used S mode at all because I am still running the car in - so I can’t say. Certainly the shift schedule will be different in S mode and it is a transmission issue so that may be a factor.

Thanks for adding this observation, I will add it to my updated report to LR when it goes in for the update next week.

Old 08-20-2022, 05:39 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

2023 P300 same issue post first week of delivery back in the 2nd week of July. 5 weeks post software update for transmission and so far not one other instance of shifting into neutral. Fingers crossed!

XCELLER8 (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 05:44 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mlw911
2023 P300 same issue post first week of delivery back in the 2nd week of July. 5 weeks post software update for transmission and so far not one other instance of shifting into neutral. Fingers crossed!
Excellent, that’s the best result on record. I’m now excited and confident about mine being fixed by the update next week.

mlw911 (08-20-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 10:20 AM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve had one incident of it shifting to N since I got it back from the dealer when they said “they could not verify”.

I’ve made another appointment (Sep 14) to go back and to get them to apply the Transmission Module update mentioned here. I will give them the TOPIX article mentioned here. I hope they agree to apply it even if they can’t verify.

I also noticed now my right rear speaker buzzes, they replaced the left rear last time, now I can hear the right side buzzing with bass. Hopefully they will replace this one also.

Quick Reply: 110 shifts to neutral in autostart