Sponsored by:

19 inch or 20 inch

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 08:23 AM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludders54
Yes, sure…..

How’s the road noise with them? I think they look great and they're on my list of mods once mine arrives.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:26 PM
Mudding
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
But only a tiny fraction of people order their own Defender (vs. dealer-ordered), and even among those only a small number will opt for 19", for the reasons mentioned everywhere. And dealers always order the biggest wheel they can order. I bet there's not a new 19" P400 on a dealer's lot in the US. (There's probably one, for whoever wants to spend 30 minutes proving me wrong )

So the popularity of the Defender doesn't translate into popularity of the 19" wheel. 2008 called and wants its top wheel back.
sooooo true. when I go to showrooms, it's big rims for sure. but you can order a 19" and (it looks from other postings) that more tires will enter the market for that rim size over the next year+. i get why tire companies avoided it initially, but it seems like we're getting more choice in a year or two. here's my Q: what's the driving difference on a highway at 80 mph with 19"s vs. 20"? Anything? I am leaning toward the 19" to give more sidewall, but that benefit is what I want for slow speeds over rocks or curbs in the city (granite is sharp). what about on the highway - is the difference on an inch likely to matter at all? If not, then why pick the 20" over the 19"?

Old 04-22-2024, 02:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,338 Likes on 662 Posts

Sounds like the 19" would be best for you. Enjoy!

Old 04-22-2024, 05:05 PM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Count me in as one of those Tiny Fractions who ordered the P400 with 19" wheels. I am not thrilled with the limited snow tire availability and can't wait for more options in off-road tires, too, but wanted road comfort and more sidewall for off-road (beach driving, snow, mud,dirt and gravel roads - nothing hard core though). It's a good compromise for what I do with the vehicle.

The following 2 users liked this post by SpyHop:
Huc (04-23-2024), JMF20 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 03:31 PM
Mudding
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugha
I just put all terrains on my 19" wheels. When I mentioned to a buddy that I did not really hear any additional road noise, his comment was "you have a luxury vehicle". In other words, Land Rover did a good job with sound insulation.

I went 19s with the intention of offroading. I was not aware that only one manufacturer makes 19" all terrain tires. If sidewall depth is not a concern, stick with 20s as you will have significantly more tire choices.
how's highway driving with the 19"s? I have sections where I can do 80 mph for a good hour - and road noise and stability/comfort are important. if I go 19"s on a build, or 20"s, forget the off road for a second, what's likely to be smoother (not necessarily quieter) on the road? Again, doing 80 mph a small bump can have a big impact, so that's the issue. If the extra air helps the stability and comfort, that's for me. although I've not driven a 21" rim, I'd expect that to be a bit rough if you hit bumps - air suspension or not. it's the rough (wrangler like) experience I'm trying to avoid, and if 19"s help, ok, it's an option why not...

Old 04-23-2024, 03:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,338 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
how's highway driving with the 19"s? I have sections where I can do 80 mph for a good hour - and road noise and stability/comfort are important. if I go 19"s on a build, or 20"s, forget the off road for a second, what's likely to be smoother (not necessarily quieter) on the road? Again, doing 80 mph a small bump can have a big impact, so that's the issue. If the extra air helps the stability and comfort, that's for me. although I've not driven a 21" rim, I'd expect that to be a bit rough if you hit bumps - air suspension or not. it's the rough (wrangler like) experience I'm trying to avoid, and if 19"s help, ok, it's an option why not...
None of that has anything to do with 19" vs 20" wheels. It's all tire dependent.

I just drove from Atlanta to Albuquerque in one day, avg. 78mph according to the computer, including stops and cities. That was on 18" wheels, but RT tires (between AT and MT in noise and aggressiveness.). It was fine. Would have been much quieter and smoother on my 20" wheels with the OEM Goodyears. I know because that's what's usually on my truck, but I was going off-roading in Utah so I travelled with the noisy, rough 18s rather than the smooth, quiet 20s.

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 10:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts

The Goodyear K03 tires in 255/65R19 is supposed to be available in August. They are the default for the new OCTA so they say.

I know that I will be out of the crappy OEM BFG tires as soon as I can. I have had two flats from rocks in the tread on rear tires. Both tires were replaced.

There's a 4 mile stretch of NC-197 below my home headed into Buncombe county (Asheville), and both times I picked up a stone driven through the center of the tread.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:34 PM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratledge
The Goodyear K03 tires in 255/65R19 is supposed to be available in August.
This article doesn't support the August date. https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/Here-are-the-2024-sizes-of-the-BFGoodrich-K03.htm

Old 04-24-2024, 01:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts

Yep, all the articles I have read say no 19" or 22" tires until 2025, but obviously this newer list shows the first 22's.

Got no ammo, just my tire guy saying that he can preorder them in August.
​​​​​
He told me they are for the Defender OCTA. We'll probably find out JLR bought the first 10,000.

The following users liked this post:
Unibrain (04-24-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 04:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
I usually drive a lot faster than 80 mph and never had any issues with ride quality. The air suspension takes care of it.
I drive 22“ in summer and 20“ in winter.

Quick Reply: 19 inch or 20 inch