2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 First Edition P400 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 07:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It's 0w-20. I'm not really sure I understand your full question, though.

If you mean the JLR spec, you're correct, as I stated already, Synpower doesn't have that spec. I went into the data sheets on each and looked at the viscosity and the like to compare them.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

No idea of this helps you at all but it popped up as a suggestion from the Google for me and looked relevant.

When my engine blew, I asked no questions and wanted no answers. You start digging and they start blaming.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 10-01-2021, 07:35 AM
Overlanding

Thanks _Allegedly! I never could find anything about the actual spec, even when googling. Either way the spec doesn't really explain the benefits of it existing other than less emissions and better fuel economy.

The spec sheets for that oil make it look less stable at 100c or -40c. I'd really like to find someone to talk to that can explain these manufacturer specs to me (other than a way to push you back to the dealer for more money). It's not like this is just a JLR thing, I think Ford has 4-5 oil specs alone.

Anyway, going to pick the vehicle up this afternoon, dealer told me yesterday not to worry about anything so I'm not going to at this point.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 07:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Warranty Terms

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I hope and expect the reason for collecting the oil is to examine the quantities and types of engine particles in it to understand which parts failed, so they can go to factory and their suppliers to identify which mfg. process was changed or went out of a state of control.

If tne oil pump still functions and the oil viscosity and quantity are close to correct, the exact oil selection should not be a topic of Interest
Actually, the warranty requires that routine maintenance be performed with approved oil and parts. If JLR hadn’t covered the repair under warranty and you filed suit, JLR’ would defend the case by claiming the owner violated the warranty. I do defense work, and Maintenance records/receipts are ’the first thing I request in discovery if maintenance wasn’t performed by the dealership. I’m not saying using the wrong oil caused the failure, but it’s definitely grounds for denying a warranty claim.

Last edited by brydup; 10-01-2021 at 07:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by brydup:
sacharama (12-15-2022), this_account_is_mt (11-13-2022)
Old 10-01-2021, 07:46 AM
Overlanding

Well, I have the records in the vehicle so that's not an issue, if it's just records.

Ultimately I don't think it was the oil anyway. The engine was behaving perfectly fine on the final drive before it wouldn't start. I wouldn't be surprised if a sensor within the engine failed, or something of the sort. It did try to crank, it just wouldn't turn over.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Varalith
Thanks _Allegedly! I never could find anything about the actual spec, even when googling. Either way the spec doesn't really explain the benefits of it existing other than less emissions and better fuel economy.

The spec sheets for that oil make it look less stable at 100c or -40c. I'd really like to find someone to talk to that can explain these manufacturer specs to me (other than a way to push you back to the dealer for more money). It's not like this is just a JLR thing, I think Ford has 4-5 oil specs alone.

Anyway, going to pick the vehicle up this afternoon, dealer told me yesterday not to worry about anything so I'm not going to at this point.

I do agree that they want to lock you in to using their service but I also think there is something to be said for, "This is the 1 oil we've tested to go 21k miles in our engine and we'll stand behind it.. use something else and it may work but we can't be responsible for it because we just can't test them all"

Could be differences in the detergent properties, the way it breaks down, the way it reacts to or protects a specific type of metal or gasket, or possibly some other additive that they found benefits that engine in some way. Or it could be nothing.

It's great that they are taking care of you and didn't try to blame you and it seems like a pretty fast turnaround. Sounds like a good dealership.

​​​​

Old 11-10-2022, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

Hey @Varalith - just curious, how did this ever turn out?

(I've bought 5 rovers from Jimmy and gang at JLR Huntsvegas... and I agree, they are the best. used to drive from Nashville to buy there as they were so much better)

Old 11-10-2022, 07:48 PM
Overlanding

They did end up taking care of it. When JLR got the engine and broke it down they found a piece of plastic from the manufacturing process that was in one of the cylinders and had finally melted down enough to gum things up.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (11-11-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 10:02 PM
Winching
Received 607 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by brydup
Actually, the warranty requires that routine maintenance be performed with approved oil and parts. If JLR hadn’t covered the repair under warranty and you filed suit, JLR’ would defend the case by claiming the owner violated the warranty. I do defense work, and Maintenance records/receipts are ’the first thing I request in discovery if maintenance wasn’t performed by the dealership. I’m not saying using the wrong oil caused the failure, but it’s definitely grounds for denying a warranty claim.
Reading this post and it’s references to oil changes and warranty claims and the like, it brings to mind a question for those like myself who do their own oil changes and basic service. You mention records/receipt keeping. Is that sufficient for providing proof to the dealer in the event of a warranty claim? If I change my own oil and filter, engine air filter, cabin filter, brake fluid or pads/rotors and keep all receipts and invoices with dates, will I have no worries should I require a visit to the dealer?

Old 11-10-2022, 10:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Glad they took care of the engine replacement. However I do agree with JLR that they should not cover any extra labor associated with removal of aftermarket parts or accessories. Warranty should only cover the cost to replace a part based on the original build of a machine.

Seems like that the removal of those parts were not necessary which is on the dealer.

Quick Reply: 2020 First Edition P400 Engine Failure