Sponsored by:

2020 First Edition P400 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 06:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 230 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Varalith
Chief65,

I do agree with you, there's likely going to be more wear and tear. That being said I've religiously changed the oil every 5k miles to account for that, plus my overall driving actually looks like this:

Daily - 193 miles round trip to and from the airport once a week
Weekends (Fall / Winter / Spring) - One off-road trip a weekend, about 15 minutes of rock climbing
Weekends (Summer) - Daily driving routine, maybe one or two off-road instances over the season

So It's not like I'm abusing the thing.
I do understand where you're coming from. On the other hand I have to believe these are just consumer grade components, changing the oil isn't going to change any of that. It doesn't take care of 40 sessions of rock climbing every year. It's the difference between commercial gym equipment and the stuff you buy off the showroom floor at walmart. The walmart stuff will work but it wont hold up to commercial use over the longterm Depending upon how rough the trails are, off-roading on a regular basis is surely going to put a lot of punishment on the vehicle and we all realize it can handle that now and then, that's part of the whole 'imagery' LR is selling this thing with, it's advertising, and you bought the dream (as did I) it's this go anywhere, freedom from covid-fatigue vehicle but in showroom stock form let's face it, it's really just a street SUV that has dual-purpose capabilities. In order for people to actually afford to buy one for 60k it surely HAS to be built with many parts that are ordinary grade SUV parts.

The following users liked this post:
cfw3rd (01-05-2023)
Old 09-25-2021, 08:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

But off-roading doesn’t particularly strain the engine, leading to premature engine failure.

If you don’t keep your air filters changed and run frequently in sandy/dusty environs, you could choke down the engine’s airflow, but I don’t know that you would destroy the engine that way, just reduce its power.

Slow crawling in 100+ degrees could tax the cooling system, but again, the computers would make sure the engine stayed cool and if it couldn’t they would start going crazy with warnings and/or shut the thing down.

A hot engine bay has a deleterious effect on long term life of various electrical components and wiring looms, but that shouldn’t manifest in the first 100k miles, and even then, again, it wouldn’t kill the engine, per se.

Now I’ll grant that your points are spot-on with respect to most of the rest of the drivetrain.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
If you don’t keep your air filters changed and run frequently in sandy/dusty environs, you could choke down the engine’s airflow, but I don’t know that you would destroy the engine that way, just reduce its power.
Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/-t2bBbry7ys

Old 09-27-2021, 10:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
I do understand where you're coming from. On the other hand I have to believe these are just consumer grade components, changing the oil isn't going to change any of that. It doesn't take care of 40 sessions of rock climbing every year. It's the difference between commercial gym equipment and the stuff you buy off the showroom floor at walmart. The walmart stuff will work but it wont hold up to commercial use over the longterm Depending upon how rough the trails are, off-roading on a regular basis is surely going to put a lot of punishment on the vehicle and we all realize it can handle that now and then, that's part of the whole 'imagery' LR is selling this thing with, it's advertising, and you bought the dream (as did I) it's this go anywhere, freedom from covid-fatigue vehicle but in showroom stock form let's face it, it's really just a street SUV that has dual-purpose capabilities. In order for people to actually afford to buy one for 60k it surely HAS to be built with many parts that are ordinary grade SUV parts.
A fully loaded one is in the $95,000 range.

How does Toyota get away with making the land cruiser to last 25 years or 250,000 miles? They use forged and heavily overbuilt parts on the more stressed mechanic parts. A new one sold for around $85,000.

What’s their secret?

Old 09-28-2021, 07:40 AM
Winching
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

Guys time for a class-action lawsuit against land rover

Old 09-28-2021, 07:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Disco,

Why a class action? I'm not saying my situation isn't kind of crappy, but I haven't seen much on any P400 issues otherwise. I can't tell if you're joking due to the off-side discussion above or not, but if you're serious due to other issues I'm unaware of I'd love to understand so I can make a better decision about what my next moves are.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

Disco - It better be a Class Action because more of the Owners Manual is devoted to the Arbitration Agreement than anything else!

Old 09-28-2021, 09:41 PM
Winching
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

did you start your vehicle ? if you started your vehicle then you agreed to arbitration

Old 09-28-2021, 09:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm starting to get confused about the point of the class action or why we're arguing about arbitration, considering each comment from Disco is non-expository. I'd love to better understand the intent or get back to the original point of the thread.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Varalith
I'm starting to get confused about the point of the class action or why we're arguing about arbitration, considering each comment from Disco is non-expository. I'd love to better understand the intent or get back to the original point of the thread.
theres alot of "funny" guys here making jokes. I agree with you.

Quick Reply: 2020 First Edition P400 Engine Failure