2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Defender factory order timeline reporting

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 12:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I ordered my 2022 P400 XDynamic SE on 3/23, was given a 6/25 delivery date. No 11.4" screen because the ordering manager told me they had gotten word from HQ that chips for the screens are out of stock and therefore screens are out of stock, and they don't know when it will be back in stock. So I ordered without.

Yesterday, 3/24, I decided to change wheels and wood trim (went walnut instead of oak) and when he submitted that order it pushed delivery back from 6/25 to 7/2. I then asked to see what would happen if I added the big screen. That pushed it back to early August, but he said it could easily get delayed well past that if the chip situation doesn't clear up soon, and there was no way to know if that would happen, and once the order locks (4/2 for me) there's no changing back to the small screen if the date gets pushed out to November or something. So I left it with the small screen and got the 7/2 date.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:30 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I ordered my 2022 P400 XDynamic SE on 3/23, was given a 6/25 delivery date. No 11.4" screen because the ordering manager told me they had gotten word from HQ that chips for the screens are out of stock and therefore screens are out of stock, and they don't know when it will be back in stock. So I ordered without.

Yesterday, 3/24, I decided to change wheels and wood trim (went walnut instead of oak) and when he submitted that order it pushed delivery back from 6/25 to 7/2. I then asked to see what would happen if I added the big screen. That pushed it back to early August, but he said it could easily get delayed well past that if the chip situation doesn't clear up soon, and there was no way to know if that would happen, and once the order locks (4/2 for me) there's no changing back to the small screen if the date gets pushed out to November or something. So I left it with the small screen and got the 7/2 date.
Seems more reasonable to have the last date to change to a floating date if you are delayed indefinitely due to the screen, vs locking you into limbo.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Moretti
Seems more reasonable to have the last date to change to a floating date if you are delayed indefinitely due to the screen, vs locking you into limbo.
I took it that it's not so much a "floating" build date as it is a "firm" date that will get changed as it approaches if they don't have any screens for it. Sort of "We had to put a date in there like we always do, and we think maybe our screen supplier will have some by then, but that's just us talking, not the chip supplier or the screen supplier, so if it doesn't work out, we'll adjust accordingly."

Old 03-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Juancl
@expatbrit Was your build date met last week? Mine is supposed to be today, so just curious as to whether they were still on track up to last week.

Thanks!
Yes -- my green Defender 110 was finished on St. Patrick's Day, it turns out. Thankfully not the day after, when everyone was hung over.

The following users liked this post:
Juancl (03-26-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Finally put an order in for a 110 P400 X in Carapathian grey on 3/16.
Dealer promised delivery mid May, which seems a little too optimistic based on other people’s experience here but let’s see.
My sales manager assured me they are able to “prioritise” the build once it’s been submitted. Order form still says MY2021. Deposit was $1400.
Will share when I take delivery.

Last edited by timmex; 03-28-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by timmex
Hello everyone,

Dealer promised delivery mid May, which seems a little too optimistic based on other people’s experience here but let’s see.
My sales manager assured me they are able to “prioritise” the build once it’s been submitted. Order form still says MY2021.
Hmmmm... 2021? I dunno about that. I'm far from an expert but I thought everything from here on out was 2022s?

Do you have the printout from your dealer titled "Order Details"? Mine says Build Date: 5/7, Delivery Date 7/2. We're only 5 hours from the Brunswick port by truck. I don't know why there would be 2 months worth of delay after build date, but that's what it says. Others may have a better feel for how accurate those two dates are. I'm hoping Build Date is pretty solid and Delivery Date is more of a "If everything that can go wrong does go wrong" sort of date, and that reality is it's more like a month of delivery time.

The last car I ordered was a 2015 911 GTS, which took exactly 8 weeks, to the day, from order to me driving it home.

Anyway, if you don't have that sheet I'd ask for it, if for no other reason than to make absolutely sure they ordered exactly what you told them to order.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by timmex
Hello everyone,

My sales manager assured me they are able to “prioritise” the build once it’s been submitted. Order form still says MY2021. Deposit was $1400.
Sounds weird. Unless your order matches one they already had coming I do not see how they could make it happen (for MY21s it’s even too late to make any changes to existing orders). My understanding is this week was one of, if not the last production week for MY21. Mine was scheduled to be built this week and delivery showed first week of June.

As someone stated ask for the order sheet, which shows all the dates and your order details.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:20 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Hmmmm... 2021? I dunno about that. I'm far from an expert but I thought everything from here on out was 2022s?

Do you have the printout from your dealer titled "Order Details"? Mine says Build Date: 5/7, Delivery Date 7/2. We're only 5 hours from the Brunswick port by truck. I don't know why there would be 2 months worth of delay after build date, but that's what it says. Others may have a better feel for how accurate those two dates are. I'm hoping Build Date is pretty solid and Delivery Date is more of a "If everything that can go wrong does go wrong" sort of date, and that reality is it's more like a month of delivery time.

The last car I ordered was a 2015 911 GTS, which took exactly 8 weeks, to the day, from order to me driving it home.

Anyway, if you don't have that sheet I'd ask for it, if for no other reason than to make absolutely sure they ordered exactly what you told them to order.

Unfortunately I’m based overseas so my order sheet won’t exactly look like yours. I have like a “contract” sheet with all of my order details, color, options etc, so I’m not too worried about them getting my order wrong, however there is no mention of build date or delivery date, so I just have to take their word for it. They said since the order will be prioritised it will not be later than May. Also worth mentioning, the dealer could get me such an early build only for the P400.

Funnily enough, the last car I ordered was a 2018 Panamera Turbo and I waited for exactly 3 months from when I placed the order to driving it off, so I’m quite skeptical about the defender being here in 2 months, especially given how popular the car is but hoping they are right. I assume the build date to be somewhere around Mid April.

I’m also quite positive it will be a 2022 model, but the order sheet still says MY2021, I am not too fussed about model year though since I opted for the smaller screen anyway.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Juancl
Sounds weird. Unless your order matches one they already had coming I do not see how they could make it happen (for MY21s it’s even too late to make any changes to existing orders). My understanding is this week was one of, if not the last production week for MY21. Mine was scheduled to be built this week and delivery showed first week of June.

As someone stated ask for the order sheet, which shows all the dates and your order details.
If it's a preexisting order that's going to be delivered in mid-May (entirely possible) it would have locked about 30 days ago and Timmex wouldn't have been able to make any changes on 3/16 when he ordered. My Lock Date is 4/7 and my build date is 5/7.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:21 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a down payment on a P300 on 8/19/20. I picked the car up yearterday, 3/27/21. They told me I’d originally get it in November of last year.

Quick Reply: 2021 Defender factory order timeline reporting