Sponsored by:

2021 Defender - loud beeping/alarms when covered in snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021 | 12:47 PM
|
1st Gear
Default 2021 Defender - loud beeping/alarms when covered in snow

Hi -

I've got a relatively new Defender in the Vermont and when it's caked in ice and snow warning alarms go off when in traffic - I'm sure there is an easy fix, thoughts?

Jeff

Old 12-20-2021 | 01:03 PM
Winching

there is a mute button on the screen

Old 12-20-2021 | 01:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jsoltesz
Hi -

I've got a relatively new Defender in the Vermont and when it's caked in ice and snow warning alarms go off when in traffic - I'm sure there is an easy fix, thoughts?

Jeff
The cameras are likely reading the debris as objects in your way and warning you.

Clear the snow/ice from the cameras when you can and/or turning off the collision warning in settings would be things to do. Caked on mud on the lenses can also provoke the alarms.

That would be my guess.

I don't know of any system wide mute button on the screen. I do have a mute feature(have it on my steering column customisable button) but these alarms appear suddenly. Silencing them after they have begun is not a very useful solution. Preventing them in the first place would likely be more in line with what you want.

Old 12-21-2021 | 05:05 AM
Rock Crawling

It seems there are two mute buttons, one is for the radio which is easy access however the other is only on the screen when you bring up the camera views. What I find annoying is you'll get random beeping if you're close to objects but you then have to bring up the cameras before you can even mute it. More than once lately I pull up to order at a drive through and beeping starts when someone is trying to take my order, I then have to fumble to bring up the cameras, which as you know this is a somewhat tiny camera icon on the sidebar of the display, at that point a larger mute button shows up on the screen which brings the desired relief.

If anyone knows a better way to handle this situation let me know.

Old 12-21-2021 | 06:19 AM
Winching

Like I said before, when you hear a beeping sound, the camera usually shows up on the screen and you just press the mute button there. No need to fiddle around and look for the cameras.

Old 12-21-2021 | 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by sblvro
Like I said before, when you hear a beeping sound, the camera usually shows up on the screen and you just press the mute button there. No need to fiddle around and look for the cameras.
Unfortunately the only time the cameras automatically show up for me is when in reverse, definitely not 'usually', in fact I can't recall any other time. So let me understand this, you're going 45 up the street with the three tile default menu up, slow down to turn into a drive thru, come to a stop at the speaker, hear constant beeps and the camera feed automatically pops up? I would prefer that behavior if I could get it to work that way. Maybe I have some setting toggled off or the type of tiles I have up conflict with how this works. I hear the beeping but still see the three tile menu, the mute at the bottom of that menu is not for the beeping, that'll mute sirius or the phone if it's streaming music. Press the camera button and then a larger round mute shows in the center of the screen, that's the correct one.

Last edited by Chief65; 12-21-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2021 | 07:36 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Chief65
Unfortunately the only time the cameras automatically show up for me is when in reverse, definitely not 'usually', in fact I can't recall any other time. So let me understand this, you're going 45 up the street with the three tile default menu up, slow down to turn into a drive thru, come to a stop at the speaker, hear constant beeps and the camera feed automatically pops up? I would prefer that behavior if I could get it to work that way. Maybe I have some setting toggled off or the type of tiles I have up conflict with how this works. I hear the beeping but still see the three tile menu, the mute at the bottom of that menu is not for the beeping, that'll mute sirius or the phone if it's streaming music. Press the camera button and then a larger round mute shows in the center of the screen, that's the correct one.
I'm driving my Escalade now but as I recall you program it in the vehicle settings where it activates the proximity sensors and cameras to show up in your screen automatically. Ok just got home. It's in the driving assistance screen in the settings. Go to low speed maneuvering and click on parking aids.

Last edited by sblvro; 12-21-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2021 | 04:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by sblvro
I'm driving my Escalade now but as I recall you program it in the vehicle settings where it activates the proximity sensors and cameras to show up in your screen automatically. Ok just got home. It's in the driving assistance screen in the settings. Go to low speed maneuvering and click on parking aids.
Thanks I'll check that out today. Edit: The setting does make a noticeable difference. Now when the sensors become active a small tile pops up over the leftmost tile and displays the overhead view along with a mute button. I appreciate the tip. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Chief65; 12-25-2021 at 05:20 AM.