2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Land Rover Defender Non-Refundable Deposit

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer required no deposit for build/order on my 2021.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Very few dealers hold a non refundable deposit. In think Ferrari does it and that’s about it. I’ve never even had a non refundable deposit on a McLaren.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:32 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Ive been working with my dealer on a factory order....lowest they will go for a deposit is 5k...and that's assuming I would order a non base model with certain upgrades that they have set (heated seats etc).

Old 12-31-2020, 01:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an HSE coming to my JLR dealer that didn't sell from a place in NY. I put $2k Non-Refundable down to hold it. Once it arrived, it did not spec out as they thought. They were understanding and I chose not to purchase that vehicle. Mind you, all paperwork and trade of LR4 was ready to go. I walked away from that Defender (they said it'll go fast, no worries). We then worked on a 2021 build to my exact specs and they used the $2k again for the new order that I just placed two days ago. In the end I will be paying more for the Defender I want, but my rationale on this is as such. If I am going to get a Defender (which i really want) and divest my title in hand and impeccable 2016 LR4... I am going to get EXACTLY what I want! Someone earlier made a great statement about "when you are buying something in this price range it really is subjective to look at a thousand here or thousand there..." It does add up, but I can't even rationalize "need" over "want" here so... Take my .02 as such!

Get what you want and if you really do want one, drop the deposit and know it can be refunded. Great little trick I did have in my back pocket was using my Chase Sapphire Reserve card (best card ever) to place the deposit. Knowing that no matter what the dealer says, I can have Chase Dispute the lack of receipt for the vehicle at spec and delivery.

Good think I have a great dealer!

The following users liked this post:
bobbyz95 (04-03-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:32 PM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

So would you agree that paying more for Defender vs. a Subaru also increases your trade-in value? Surely your LR4 must be worth more than an Outback of the same year, right?

Old 12-31-2020, 01:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
Ive been working with my dealer on a factory order....lowest they will go for a deposit is 5k...and that's assuming I would order a non-base model with certain upgrades that they have set (heated seats etc).
My thought on this comment, find another dealer, if a dealer dictates a minimum trim level or options, then what's the point of ordering what you want. Plus 5k deposit is 4k, too much, again, in my opinion.

I seem to be opinionated..LOL Out with the old and in with the New Year!

I love my Defender and planned to order, but caved and bought off the lot. If history repeats itself, and I get another D, I'll order. I've had 3 LR4s and 1 LR3 - so I'm guessing I'll stick with JLR and another Defender in time..which would be LR #8

Best of luck in getting your perfect Defender..

zzzCOUGARzzz (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:49 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by LR4USN
My thought on this comment, find another dealer, if a dealer dictates a minimum trim level or options, then what's the point of ordering what you want. Plus 5k deposit is 4k, too much, again, in my opinion.

I seem to be opinionated..LOL Out with the old and in with the New Year!

I love my Defender and planned to order, but caved and bought off the lot. If history repeats itself, and I get another D, I'll order. I've had 3 LR4s and 1 LR3 - so I'm guessing I'll stick with JLR and another Defender in time..which would be LR #8

Best of luck in getting your perfect Defender..
I also think its too much and it rubs me the wrong way especially being that there is no break from MSRP. The next most proximate JLR dealers near me are in the Seattle Metro area and that is a few hour drive. Im going to reach out to them but they seemed to be pricing up some of their vehicles over MSRP a little bit ago so not sure if they are any better.

To clarify the dealer is not restricting what is ordered, only the deposit amount. They originally told me it would be 10% of the order price. If you order something other than a base model then they will require $5,000 instead.

Last edited by Moretti; 12-31-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Winching

I got ahold of Land Rover Seattle. They require a $5k deposit and I was told its non refundable.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Flipping BS (dealer) - move on

TrioLRowner (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 07:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

That dealer in Seattle is NOT suitable ..... I would not do business with them -- JLR customers deserve and normally receive much better.

Quick Reply: 2021 Land Rover Defender Non-Refundable Deposit