Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender Cranks But Won’t Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 07:31 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2022 Defender Cranks But Won’t Start

Just took my 2022 Defender 110, P300 out of winter storage, it’s been in a heated garage and on a battery tender for several months. It started fine, my wife took it to the supermarket twice today with no problems but when I went to put it back in the garage just now it immediately started running rough and within less than a minute it just quit. It cranks but won’t fire at all. I tried this twice.

It’s currently in my driveway and back on the battery tender. There is a software update available and that’s hopefully being installed now. It also apparently ran a software update when it was in storage as my wife recalls seeing a message on the center screen.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-25-2024, 06:49 AM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: I completed an OTA software update overnight. Everything appears to be back to normal, the Defender started instantly with zero roughness and just purred like a kitten. Drives with no hesitation, as before the problem.

I am planning to change the batteries in both keys but I’m thinking I must of had a computer glitch that was corrected when the computer reset itself during the software update. Whatever glitch occurred was either totally random or somehow related to the vehicle having been in long term storage on a battery tender.

All I can say is I’m relieved as my wife and I are off on an international trip on Wednesday and our daughter, along with her family, are planning to use the Defender while they house sit.

The following users liked this post:
Jomara (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 08:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Maybe bad fuel?

Old 05-25-2024, 09:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Almost sounds somewhat like the problem I had, same model year p300. It would do that in low speed situations but only like once every six weeks maybe. Dealership never did figure out what it was. Only once did it leave a code, that was in a slightly higher speed situation when the CEL stayed on afterward for a bit but even with that incident I was in a school zone so I was only going maybe 30mph at the most. Never had it happen at highway speeds knock on wood. But yea, when it happened it would get really rough like it was running out of fuel and then completely die. You'd coast to a stop and it would not restart period. The only way it would restart is if I got out of the vehicle completely, locked it, waited like 10 seconds, got back into it and then it would restart and be fine like nothing ever happened. Over the year and a half of ownership it happened almost monthly, usually in the parking lot at the mall after pulling out of a parking spot going like 5-10 mph.

The one and only time it ever left a code the dealership said it was something to do with it not getting fuel, but it had plenty of fuel in the tank. Premium fresh fuel. I dunno.... dealership said maybe the type of fuel, they came up with some BS about not using kwik fill, whatever... I went to many different places for fuel after that, it did it with all of them at one time or another.

Long story short, it still had the problem when I traded it in, one of the many annoyances that I got real tired of with a brand new vehicle. It was always something and even though it's all under warranty, there's stuff the dealership either can't or won't bother with so it just becomes part of the ownership 'experience' YMMV.

Last edited by Chief65; 05-25-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:50 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My battery died the other morning. Same type symptoms. Slow to start running rough. I was able to put it on a medium duty charger for about 15 mins to get it started and running normally.

Took it to dealer and it was covered under warranty surprisingly. My warranty ends next month, so I was very pleased.