2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 01:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I got an update today that my Defender 90 dates have been pushed a bit. Original 10/1/21 build date is now 11/05/21 and 12/10/21 delivery date is now 1/14/22. Understandable given the current state of affairs, but I'm looking forward to January!

Old 09-15-2021, 05:54 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
This will be unpopular. It's not easy to have sympathy for dealers but they're in business to make money. They have big overhead; buildings, land, payroll, utilities, insurance, loan payments, etc. They are out of inventory and, aside from service, their cash-flow has dried up. Some will not survive or will be forced to take investors or sell cheap.

Car buyers, in the other hand, are flush with cash. Money is free these days and Defenders are in high demand. Special editions with huge markups for wraps and logos are selling before they get off the boat.

JLR (CFO Mardell) has already said the price is going to have to go up.

"Reposition the value transaction" = you paying more.

Facing all of this with a 9+ month wait-list, no idea when this will normalize, and the possibility that it could easily get much worse, what would you do if you owned the dealership? Probably mark them up $10k.
I don't think it's hard to empathize with dealers due to the current situation they are in. For me, it's that all car dealers have lobbied their way into being a legislated necessity in many states in the US leaving consumers with no other choice than going through a dealer. It's anti-consumer, and so while I recognize their difficulties now it's hard for me to feel any empathy for individual dealers who, as a group, has spent decades successfully lobbying their way into being virtual, regional monopolies for the brands they sell and now are having to gouge consumers on the few cars they can sell (on top of the service gouging) to 'stay afloat'.

I say weed the weak dealers out, and while we are at it allow at least the possibility of manufacturers to sell direct to consumers (especially as EVs gain market share).

Old 09-15-2021, 07:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcdooogs
I say weed the weak dealers out, and while we are at it allow at least the possibility of manufacturers to sell direct to consumers (especially as EVs gain market share).
​​​​​​Yes, those few states that still don't allow it should be like Florida (shameless plug).

Unfortunately, I think weeding out the weak would mean we'd lose mostly the smaller independent enthusiast dealers in favor of the corporate chains that would swoop in and pick the carcass.

Here in Orlando our only dealer got bought out by Lithia (massive chain) a while back and it's an abysmal place now. Any question for sales is "not sure check the website" and service is notoriously bad. The dealership is filthy and nobody cares. When you make color selection for your $100k vehicle there, you head to an uncovered $39 folding faux-wood banquet table, that I can only imagine they purchased at Sears, with paint pucks and leather swatches thrown asunder. That's IF you can get your sales guy to walk over instead of just having him pull it up on landrover.com

I went a couple hours away to a family owned dealership that I've had a great experience with. My sales guy let it slip the other day though, they are struggling.

Aside from that, I'm doubtful that JLR corporate could execute better than even many of their worst dealerships if they took over. They aren't exactly a "customer focused" organization.

Lastly, I just don't want the Tesla repair experience layered on top of my British reliability. Even their fanbois tend to complain about it.

To recap, Make America Florida and support small independent dealers.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 09-15-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:18 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

​​​​​​Yes, those few states that still don't allow it should be like Florida (shameless plug).

Unfortunately, I think weeding out the weak would mean we'd lose mostly the smaller independent enthusiast dealers in favor of the corporate chains that would swoop in and pick the carcass.

Here in Orlando our only dealer got bought out by Lithia (massive chain) a while back and it's an abysmal place now. Any question for sales is "not sure check the website" and service is notoriously bad. The dealership is filthy and nobody cares. When you make color selection for your $100k vehicle there, you head to an uncovered $39 folding faux-wood banquet table, that I can only imagine they purchased at Sears, with paint pucks and leather swatches thrown asunder. That's IF you can get your sales guy to walk over instead of just having him pull it up on landrover.com

I went a couple hours away to a family owned dealership that I've had a great experience with. My sales guy let it slip the other day though, they are struggling.

Aside from that, I'm doubtful that JLR corporate could execute better than even many of their worst dealerships if they took over. They aren't exactly a "customer focused" organization.

Lastly, I just don't want the Tesla repair experience layered on top of my British reliability. Even their fanbois tend to complain about it.

To recap, Make America Florida and support small independent dealers.
Ah see, here in New England (Rhode island) the 6 closest JLR dealers are part of 3 large chains. There are already no small JLR dealerships up here

Old 09-15-2021, 10:52 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

This will be unpopular. It's not easy to have sympathy for dealers but they're in business to make money. They have big overhead; buildings, land, payroll, utilities, insurance, loan payments, etc. They are out of inventory and, aside from service, their cash-flow has dried up. Some will not survive or will be forced to take investors or sell cheap.

Car buyers, in the other hand, are flush with cash. Money is free these days and Defenders are in high demand. Special editions with huge markups for wraps and logos are selling before they get off the boat.

JLR (CFO Mardell) has already said the price is going to have to go up.

"Reposition the value transaction" = you paying more.

Facing all of this with a 9+ month wait-list, no idea when this will normalize, and the possibility that it could easily get much worse, what would you do if you owned the dealership? Probably mark them up $10k.
You are spot on. Dealers are hurting right now with virtually zero inventory, few off-the-lot sales and still their overhead, flooring (the money paid to the manufacturer to have a vehicle sit on the lot before being sold) taxes, utilities and payroll still are extant. Most of "inventory" is 2021's if even available, or ghost photos of vehicles ordered but not received.Used cars have skyrocketed in value, leasing companies are buying used cars to supplement the fleets they sold off during the first year of the pandemic, and people are not turning in their old cars because the availability just isn't there. While I personally wouldn't pay $10-20k or more just to buy a new LR or any product, there are those who will. It's a market thing, whatever the market will support is what they charge.Simple enough...if someone doesn't want to pay they can just wait.

The following 2 users liked this post by Magnumforc:
Parkstr8 (09-15-2021), _Allegedly (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 02:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Is every customer supposed to get access to the diplomatic portal that is used to track vehicles?
I was sent my timeline once, but they are telling me it is not being updated right now.
And maybe I am just being paranoid, but maybe they are selling my vehicle marked up and delaying me.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:14 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was supposed to arrive last week and its been stuck at the port for an additional week

Old 09-15-2021, 03:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

"Parkstr8 View PostAnyone else pay over sticker?"

My dealer informed me today that a HSE110 I was looking at is going to the auction today with three others because they can get more $$$ there than the already $8k inflated dealership price. That's unreal.

The following 3 users liked this post by Elektrapops:
heliochrome85 (09-15-2021), Magnumforc (09-16-2021), _Allegedly (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 03:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
"Parkstr8 View PostAnyone else pay over sticker?"

My dealer informed me today that a HSE110 I was looking at is going to the auction today with three others because they can get more $$$ there than the already $8k inflated dealership price. That's unreal.
I have a 2nd deposit on a Defender at sticker arriving in 3 weeks or so. Would be tempted to flip it if it wasn't for the 6% sales tax...

Old 09-15-2021, 04:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the offer Allegedly. I'm not sure how the tax would work on a flip . Got a build you can attach?

In the last hour, my dealer has informed me that I "have to take" the 'Zurich' body/interior protection cover, adding a further $2k to the price. This is getting crazy.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now