2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 02:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So I took delivery of my MY 22 90s on Thursday of last week down at JRL Chantilly. The vehicle came built to spec, including these items there was some concern about:
- activity key (yes)
- clear sight (yes)
- full digital cluster (yes)
- had the smaller screen (I was hoping to get upgraded to the larger one, but this one is just fine)

I've put about 700 miles on it, as I've just completed the first multi hour trip (Baltimore to Rhode Island). I have to say, I really love this thing. I wasn't completely sure what to expect, but this thing is great. The build quality is superb. IMO it far exceeds the fully spec'd out Wildtrak I test drove when trying to decide which to go with. I don't regret the D90s decision at all, at least not yet. Co-worker who has a Wildtrak on order was drooling over the 90 this week when I took it to the office, "I might have chose differently if I was actually able to test drive one of these" he said when I let him drive me to lunch.

I'm coming from a close to the ground coup to driving this high stance beast. It's taking some adjusting, but I really do love it.

I went with coil suspension, after some bad experience with my partners Range that had air suspension. It went to the shop multiple times with deflated bags. I wanted to avoid that. I think the car still rides incredibly smooth. But keep in mind, I felt every single bump in my g37. The seats are quite comfortable also, I'll share this for larger guys who always wonder about comfort. I'm 6'7", 255; the seat was comfortable for the duration of my 6+ hour ride up 95north. No glute pain/dullness like I'd get in my previous vehicle after about 3hrs. It's quite easy to get in an out of. I also sat in the back just to see if I could do it. I could, and just as comfortably as I'd be in any other similar sized vehicle. Getting in was the hardest part.

Also, I went with the 4 cyl even though both 90s I test drove were 6cyl. I was worried that I'd have buyers remorse, I DO NOT. The 4 cyl is more than enough so far. It feels snappy, and gets me up to cruising speed more than quickly enough. I'll see if that holds up with a full car & some luggage in a couple weeks (we are a small family of 3).

The only 'mistake' I made was getting the 19" wheels. I didn't realize until after my amend date that there are hardly any aggressive tires for 19" wheels. These good years don't look that bad, at all. I'll keep them at least until the summer.

I'll share some pics after the next trip from Baltimore to Outer Banks. I have a roof basket on the way.

Hope the rest of you get your vehicles soon! Happy Holidays, and safe travels. You guys & gals will be happy with the Defender. Thanks to all the forum contributors for the advice. You all are very helpful.

The following 3 users liked this post by D90Hope:
Drednot (12-17-2021), WMN (12-18-2021), XCELLER8 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 07:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by D90Hope
So I took delivery of my MY 22 90s on Thursday of last week down at JRL Chantilly. The vehicle came built to spec, including these items there was some concern about:
- activity key (yes)
- clear sight (yes)
- full digital cluster (yes)
- had the smaller screen (I was hoping to get upgraded to the larger one, but this one is just fine)

I've put about 700 miles on it, as I've just completed the first multi hour trip (Baltimore to Rhode Island). I have to say, I really love this thing. I wasn't completely sure what to expect, but this thing is great. The build quality is superb. IMO it far exceeds the fully spec'd out Wildtrak I test drove when trying to decide which to go with. I don't regret the D90s decision at all, at least not yet. Co-worker who has a Wildtrak on order was drooling over the 90 this week when I took it to the office, "I might have chose differently if I was actually able to test drive one of these" he said when I let him drive me to lunch.

I'm coming from a close to the ground coup to driving this high stance beast. It's taking some adjusting, but I really do love it.

I went with coil suspension, after some bad experience with my partners Range that had air suspension. It went to the shop multiple times with deflated bags. I wanted to avoid that. I think the car still rides incredibly smooth. But keep in mind, I felt every single bump in my g37. The seats are quite comfortable also, I'll share this for larger guys who always wonder about comfort. I'm 6'7", 255; the seat was comfortable for the duration of my 6+ hour ride up 95north. No glute pain/dullness like I'd get in my previous vehicle after about 3hrs. It's quite easy to get in an out of. I also sat in the back just to see if I could do it. I could, and just as comfortably as I'd be in any other similar sized vehicle. Getting in was the hardest part.

Also, I went with the 4 cyl even though both 90s I test drove were 6cyl. I was worried that I'd have buyers remorse, I DO NOT. The 4 cyl is more than enough so far. It feels snappy, and gets me up to cruising speed more than quickly enough. I'll see if that holds up with a full car & some luggage in a couple weeks (we are a small family of 3).

The only 'mistake' I made was getting the 19" wheels. I didn't realize until after my amend date that there are hardly any aggressive tires for 19" wheels. These good years don't look that bad, at all. I'll keep them at least until the summer.

I'll share some pics after the next trip from Baltimore to Outer Banks. I have a roof basket on the way.

Hope the rest of you get your vehicles soon! Happy Holidays, and safe travels. You guys & gals will be happy with the Defender. Thanks to all the forum contributors for the advice. You all are very helpful.

Nice! I have the P300 D90 too. At this point to be honest I do have some regrets for not going with the 110 though. The more times my sons struggle to squeeze into and out of the back seat every week the more I regret the 90. I bought the click and work, haven't bothered to unbox it yet, it would be silly for me to try to use it by myself with the two door, which was my plan. I thought if I got a call from work and needed to jump online it would be great to have the option but getting into and out of the back seat by myself killed the whole idea really. Aside from that I'm really enjoying the vehicle as a daily driver. Plus if your parents are in their 70s like mine are and need to get in and out even once and awhile it's a long stretch for anyone under 6ft, coils must be even worse as far as that goes. Side steps would be another thing I'd consider if I ever trade up to a 110. Most of my complaints revolve around how it impacts everyone else in my 'circle', but for only myself there are no notable regrets except for the click and work thing.

Last edited by Chief65; 12-17-2021 at 07:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 06:46 PM
8th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My 10/8 build was delivered this weekend, only about two weeks late. P300, off-road pack, advanced off-road pack, winter weather, jump seat, etc. Every option we ordered and even got two keys.

The following 4 users liked this post by Five12Free:
Ace7711 (12-30-2021), GavinC (12-20-2021), GrouseK9 (12-19-2021), XCELLER8 (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
My 10/8 build was delivered this weekend, only about two weeks late. P300, off-road pack, advanced off-road pack, winter weather, jump seat, etc. Every option we ordered and even got two keys.

nice! I am still waiting for mine to arrive at dealer via truck. It arrived at port on 12/13.

The following 3 users liked this post by Amg1824:
bobbyz95 (01-14-2022), D90Hope (12-22-2021), Five12Free (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 08:03 AM
WMN
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice! Enjoy.

Five12Free (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 08:19 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmk8
I have never seen a car with pressures this high. Why does the defender call for such high psi ? I seem to remember seeing 45+ on the door sticker
It's actually pretty common for all manufacturers to overinflate tires from the factory, especially if they are slated to spend a lot of time in transport to their delivery destination. It minimizes the chances/severity of flat spots from resting in one spot for long periods of time.

For my order, just got word it's in customs at the Port of Baltimore. Hopefully I'll be bringing it home just after Christmas, its a 110 S very similar in build to @Five12Free 's above. This was a dealer stock order that I assumed in August and was built Nov 19th, delivery in Massachusetts

Last edited by Mcdooogs; 12-19-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Five12Free (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 09:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Massachusetts (Boston-area) member here too. Were you able to find a local dealer who would work with you at MSRP on your build?

Old 12-19-2021, 01:09 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaHobby
Massachusetts (Boston-area) member here too. Were you able to find a local dealer who would work with you at MSRP on your build?
I worked with Land Rover of Norwood. Because I am out of state/market (RI) they were willing to allow me to take over one of their dealer stock allocations for a $2.5k markup. I snapped at it.

If you are from MA, and were willing to wait an indeterminate amount of time for JLR order books to open back up, I've experienced nothing to make me think that they won't deal with you at MSRP.

Speaking of this, the salesman has been ok up until now. However, now the truck is at the port, he's still dodging my requests for the VIN. I think he's doing that to make it difficult for me to close external financing, has anyone seen this from JLR dealer sales people?

Last edited by Mcdooogs; 12-20-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Original order 8/11 with 9/10 build and 11/5 delivery, then 12/17 build with 2/21/22 delivery..... still 2022 MY (P400 HSE 110, Silicon) - And just got confirmation from the dealer and distributor that it was built and at the factory awaiting rail transport!!

D90Hope (12-22-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 05:44 PM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by COWillie
Original order 8/11 with 9/10 build and 11/5 delivery, then 12/17 build with 2/21/22 delivery..... still 2022 MY (P400 HSE 110, Silicon) - And just got confirmation from the dealer and distributor that it was built and at the factory awaiting rail transport!!
Super exciting isn't it!?!?! Congrats...you're going to love it. I've had mine since 2nd week of August and could not be happier with it.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now