Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
If you need reading glasses, you'll probably find your eyes need more time to adjust to the Clearsight mirror (or you might not be able to see it at all). Looking in a normal mirror is the same as using your typical outward distance vision. But... switching from distance vision to a close-up object like Clearsight is similar to looking at a laptop screen that's only a foot or so away from your face. I'm on the cusp of needing reading glasses (getting older...), and a quick switch from distant to near objects takes me a few seconds for my eyes to adjust.

Somewhere in the fine print, the LR literature mentions the same thing about the Clearsight mirror. I went ahead and ordered it anyway, but suspect I may leave it in normal mirror mode most of the time.
That certainly could be it in my case. I definitely need readers but I don't drive with them on. My expectations for it I think were really high so when it didn't even beat out the regular mirror for me I decided to bail on it altogether. With that said I'm sure there would be times when I would use it so if money were no object it's better to have it than not.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

As for the mirror, my take is this:

A car you look at in your RVM is, let's say, 100' behind you. With a glass mirror it creates a situation where you focus just as you would on an object 102 feet away (i.e. 2-feet to the mirror plus 100' to the car). That is essentially "infinity" focus, so it doesn't matter if the car is 25 feet back or 1000 feet back, your eyes are focused very nearly the same way.

But the screen doesn't work that way; no screen does. You have to focus at 2', because from about 15' down to 8" or so we have variable focus and there's a big difference. To test this, look at something that's 25 feet away, hold that focus, then look off into the distance at 200' -- it should still be in focus. But look at something that's 1' away, hold the focus and look at something that's 6' away and it's wildly blurred.

Sooooo... because we've been trained our whole driving lives to keep our focus at infinity when we shift from looking at cars out the windshield to looking at cars in the RVM, we instinctively do that when we glance at the clearsight screen. But now we're using Infinity focus on an object that's 2' away. We quickly realize it subconsciously and adjust to 2' focus, but that little bit of delay is disconcerting, especially if we are making a quick lane change.

I am certain that if you used it exclusively you would train yourself to quickly and seamlessly refocus to 2' every time you glanced in the mirror, but then you'd have the same problem in reverse whenever you switched it to natural mirror, or drove another car.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
bobbyz95 (04-02-2021), The_hog (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:12 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Almost a month since the my22 model info was released and still no online builder....what a joke...

Old 03-24-2021, 12:41 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
As for the mirror, my take is this:
heh, at some point focusing is moot, because thanks to presbyopia your eyes simply won't do it anymore.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Order (or I should say specs as explained below) submitted today for MY22 110 SE P400 (with packages/options including the 11.4" Pivi Pro screen) with slated delivery for 7/16/21. Its interesting because the Vista dealer order software tracker shows the build was created and confirmed by my dealer on 3/6/21. This was two weeks before I even started talking to the salesman. So obviously dealers regularly submit orders with generic options, etc. and since they have almost 6 weeks before the "no change" date, they just wait for a buyer, change the specs and make it look like that is their "personal order". I guess its helpful since the order is already in the cue.

I'll update as I know more about tracking.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:10 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by drcoop
Order (or I should say specs as explained below) submitted today for MY22 110 SE P400 (with packages/options including the 11.4" Pivi Pro screen) with slated delivery for 7/16/21. Its interesting because the Vista dealer order software tracker shows the build was created and confirmed by my dealer on 3/6/21. This was two weeks before I even started talking to the salesman. So obviously dealers regularly submit orders with generic options, etc. and since they have almost 6 weeks before the "no change" date, they just wait for a buyer, change the specs and make it look like that is their "personal order". I guess its helpful since the order is already in the cue.

You are fortunate that your dealer did not place you to the bottom of the line.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:20 AM
Pro Wrench

Same here -- ordered a P400 XDy SE yesterday and was told June 25. They converted a floor order.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Same here -- ordered a P400 XDy SE yesterday and was told June 25. They converted a floor order.
Lucky! Must've been a floor order from Jan or Feb...

Cheers!

Old 03-25-2021, 12:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Lucky! Must've been a floor order from Jan or Feb...

Cheers!
Yes, I was surprised. Only downside is the order locks 3/31, so I don't have very long to vacillate. Smoked Oak or Rough-Cut Walnut with Khaki?

Old 03-26-2021, 08:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

NoGaBiker -- in my opinion, the Rough-Cut Walnut looks fantastic in person. I'm thrifty by nature, and didn't plan on upgrading for frivolities like wood trim. But... when I happened to see the walnut trim on a Defender in the dealership and how good it looked, I caved in!

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now