2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 11:15 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

I signed the order agreement on 2/6/21. On 2/12/21 my dealer called to tell me that my order was in with Land Rover and that it was "highly probable" it would get switched to a 22 model order. He also told me it would take 30 days to get a build date and eta for delivery. I have not received an update since then. I was imaging JLR was trying to get back on pace of having new models release on their regular schedule, vs being so far behind (someone mentioned receiving their 2020 model in December as 2021 models were hitting the lot).

The allocation amounts per dealer seems intriguing. Someone else had mentioned they had placed an order in December or Jan but would not get a defender till this fall due to a queue in allocation at their specific dealer. Do some dealers just burn through too many orders without waiting for customers to request a specific build, or do some dealers have just really low allocation numbers?

Old 02-18-2021, 11:15 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by DallasBBQ
I'm going to check with the dealer tomorrow. I was told the "build" date listed is the completion date. I'm crossing my fingers that my Defender is finished tomorrow.
Oh that makes sense. I was thinking it was the day they start building, but that seems less logical comparatively.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Latest news JLR cutting 2000 workers in a reorg. I don't know how this plays into any product availability / delays. We know these are built in Slovakia which I suspect may not be part of this layoff but a lot more goes into getting product to market obviously than just the assembly. There's also the chip shortage everyone is probably well aware of, that impacts everyone. The CEO is also pushing hard for electrification within the next few years, interesting times. Uncertainty all around makes me want to lease, it's the only way I can afford one of these anyway. The thought I had of longer-term financing something cheaper just because I can comfortably afford it is I think less likely than ever.

The following users liked this post:
sdw2413 (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 02:05 PM
7th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moretti
I signed the order agreement on 2/6/21. On 2/12/21 my dealer called to tell me that my order was in with Land Rover and that it was "highly probable" it would get switched to a 22 model order. He also told me it would take 30 days to get a build date and eta for delivery. I have not received an update since then. I was imaging JLR was trying to get back on pace of having new models release on their regular schedule, vs being so far behind (someone mentioned receiving their 2020 model in December as 2021 models were hitting the lot).

The allocation amounts per dealer seems intriguing. Someone else had mentioned they had placed an order in December or Jan but would not get a defender till this fall due to a queue in allocation at their specific dealer. Do some dealers just burn through too many orders without waiting for customers to request a specific build, or do some dealers have just really low allocation numbers?
I also placed my order at the Portland Land Rover dealer at Washington Square. Mine was placed on 1/11 and is still in limbo. Checked yesterday and they have no idea when it will get a build date. The sales rep (Damon) indicated there had been over 10 orders placed after mine that were in same state.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:10 PM
7th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moretti

The push to electrify will make things interesting...especially if you live in Sun Valley Idaho like myself...-20 degrees f in winter significantly degrades battery performance. And if you do any overlanding, it's a bit difficult to carry 10 gallons of electricity with you on the trip....or to "electrify up" in some small town in Montana on the way. Sometimes wonder if execs understand who is buying their offroad vehicles.

The following 4 users liked this post by sdw2413:
Chief65 (02-18-2021), clubguy (02-21-2021), PaulLR (02-19-2021), The_hog (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 04:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by sdw2413
The push to electrify will make things interesting...especially if you live in Sun Valley Idaho like myself...-20 degrees f in winter significantly degrades battery performance. And if you do any overlanding, it's a bit difficult to carry 10 gallons of electricity with you on the trip....or to "electrify up" in some small town in Montana on the way. Sometimes wonder if execs understand who is buying their offroad vehicles.
Yea it's bad, so little thought is going into this electric thing, same issues here in upstate NY many people who took the plunge are very disappointed with the battery range in these temperatures that are below freezing for weeks and months. Plus if you're planning simple road trip vacations like for me up to Canada it all has to be planned around charging points. There are pros to electric but the lack of infrastructure at the moment is a huge negative IMO. Not to get political either but if Biden is strong on climate change as he looks to be already closing a pipeline to start turning the screws so to speak, you can see why CEOs might be getting spooked into making this transition happen a lot sooner than it otherwise might.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:10 PM
Winching

I also placed my order at the Portland Land Rover dealer at Washington Square. Mine was placed on 1/11 and is still in limbo. Checked yesterday and they have no idea when it will get a build date. The sales rep (Damon) indicated there had been over 10 orders placed after mine that were in same state.
That is interesting to hear. You have a different sales rep than I do, but it sounds JLR is having some production issues.

I saw in the other post that you are in Idaho. Why did you not use the Boise dealer?

Old 02-18-2021, 05:15 PM
Winching

I think European automakers are under alot of pressure to meet emission standards without being fined. The p400e is at 75g/km and I think they have to be below 90 to not pay the fine. With that said I think the electric charging station infrastructure needs to start beefing up, but obviously rural areas will be later to the game than urban areas.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes seems pretty crazy to have 3 MY with in a couple of months of each other... According the the Website there are over 500 MY20 still out there. Not sure why they would do this. I received my MY20 in late December too.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone else with an early/mid January order date heard from their dealer on delivery date estimates? I’m still being told there’s no word on my order other than “my place in line will be held”.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now