2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 01:51 PM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Did anyone else order an activity key with their 2022 Defender? I know the keys have been delayed because of chip shortages but now my dealer wants me to come in and sign a form agreeing that it won't be provided until the 4th quarter of 2021 (or whenever it becomes available). Curious to see if other dealerships are asking people to sign this form as well.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Picked mine up a week ago. I didn't have to sign a form - they actually didn't even notice that something was missing until I mentioned it. They also didn't give me any info as to when it might be available. Just that they would get the key setup at no cost once it arrived.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gts944
Picked mine up a week ago. I didn't have to sign a form - they actually didn't even notice that something was missing until I mentioned it. They also didn't give me any info as to when it might be available. Just that they would get the key setup at no cost once it arrived.
Same here. If I hadn't had brought it up, I don't think they would have noticed it was missing. The dealership just reached out to me (~2 weeks after delivery) asking for me to come in and sign this form.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:32 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by tzhou
Same here. If I hadn't had brought it up, I don't think they would have noticed it was missing. The dealership just reached out to me (~2 weeks after delivery) asking for me to come in and sign this form.
When you paid for the defender was the activity key cost included in what you paid or was it removed since it was not available?

Old 06-27-2021, 02:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Moretti
When you paid for the defender was the activity key cost included in what you paid or was it removed since it was not available?
I paid for it - the cost of the activity key was not taken off the order sheet.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:39 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

I paid for it - the cost of the activity key was not taken off the order sheet.
So is JLR still charging the $200 or is it free if its delayed? Not sure what the no additional cost part is referencing.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Moretti
So is JLR still charging the $200 or is it free if its delayed? Not sure what the no additional cost part is referencing.
They're still charging the $200. My understanding is that normally there is some cost to program a blank activity key at the dealership. Because it was not delivered with vehicle, the dealer is not going to charge for programming it when they become available.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I ordered one, but when they switched the model from '21 to '22 it was one of many things "dropped". It was the least of the things that I had dropped or messed up. At this point, I'm kind of OK. I may pick one up later, but for now iConnect works fine for me. I'm sure that if I go off-grid it will be less of a crutch, but I'm trying to make the best of how things turned out!

Old 06-27-2021, 03:11 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

They're still charging the $200. My understanding is that normally there is some cost to program a blank activity key at the dealership. Because it was not delivered with vehicle, the dealer is not going to charge for programming it when they become available.
I am trying to order a V8 (when JLR actually accepts it) and hence it comes with the key as standard, but I don’t really want it, so in your situation I’d be forcing them to credit me $200 back at the time of the sale. If you do want it, see what else you can negotiate as they are unable to supply something you have paid for - in what other circumstances would you pay for something and walk away with no commitment on when it would be delivered.

Last edited by russelldav; 06-27-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russelldav
I am trying to order a V8 (when JLR actually accepts it) and hence it comes with the key as standard, but I don’t really want it, so in your situation I’d be forcing them to credit me $200 back at the time of the sale. If you do want it, see what else you can negotiate as they are unable to supply something you have paid for - in what other circumstances would you pay for something and walk away with no commitment on when it would be delivered.
I’m hoping to negotiate for some sort of accessories to make up for it before signing the agreement. Asking around the forums here to see if others had to sign something similar and whether they’re able to negotiate some additional items in exchange.

The following users liked this post:
russelldav (06-27-2021)

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now