Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahparke
How long did it take from port to dealer for those who have taken delivery already?
4 days for mine to get from unloading in Brunswick, GA to Little Rock, AR.

The following users liked this post:
Ahparke (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 10:22 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared34
First, I just wanted to thank everyone for being so helpful. Glad I found this forum. Second, just wanted to give a heads up to those of us on the East Coast that I just heard from my dealer that the V8s are sitting at the port in Maryland. No recall issues. He seems to think that there might be just some extra custom issues as they’re the first V8s.
Don't V8s come with the same smoked / grey taillights as the ones on the Defendet X? If so, that may be the reason for the delay in handing over the first incoming batch to dealers and customers... See link below. Have any V8s or Xs been delivered to US customers in the past week or two?
https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-watch-106985/

Old 07-05-2021, 10:38 PM
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
Don't V8s come with the same smoked / grey taillights as the ones on the Defendet X? If so, that may be the reason for the delay in handing over the first incoming batch to dealers and customers... See link below. Have any V8s or Xs been delivered to US customers in the past week or two?
https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...-watch-106985/
I asked my dealer about since I had seen that issue discussed here. He assured me there was no stop sell but was not aware of the light issue. I’m worried you might be right. I have not heard of any V8 deliveries to date.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

If the Dealer isn't aware of the light issue then perhaps he's not reading the trade journals, Defender threads, manufacturer e-mails, or other alerts. Oh, that could be why he doesn't believe there is a "stop sell" either<g>... Regardless, I'd rather have the truck in hand and deal with the issue down the road. Do the Simon check (see PowerfulUK video) and then worry about it when it's in your garage.

Old 07-06-2021, 12:35 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

I dont believe all the smoked lights are under recall...there seems to just be a certain batch of the smoked lights that are...

The following 3 users liked this post by Moretti:
ColoradoDefender (07-06-2021), Jared34 (07-06-2021), Jbotx (07-08-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 06:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
I dont believe all the smoked lights are under recall...there seems to just be a certain batch of the smoked lights that are...
But if you watch the PUK video Simon demonstrates (on the bench) a “DB” suffix taillight cluster that cuts off when a bright LED is shown on it, and DB is not included in the recall. So all bets are off.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:55 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
But if you watch the PUK video Simon demonstrates (on the bench) a “DB” suffix taillight cluster that cuts off when a bright LED is shown on it, and DB is not included in the recall. So all bets are off.
And his latest video today shows an example of someone with the standard Red NA lights that also exhibit the same problem which is rather worrying.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:58 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Yup, sure enough I can make the red taillights of my 2020 Defender HSE - manufactured exactly a year ago, in July 2020 - fail as well, by placing the strong and concentrated beam of my headlamp inside the upper "square", with a couple of interesting "wrinkles" (I'll take a video shortly as it gets a bit darker outside.) Whether there is a concentrated source of light so powerful and close to the lenses that could make the taillights fail in the real world, e.g. on a road at night with traffic behind you, it's a different story and something that may be hard for me to test thoroughly.

Perhaps the smoked lenses of the X exacerbate the issues compared to the red ones, by filtering less incoming light, but it does indeed look like more than just a handful of batches may be affected, and we may be in for a larger recall than we thought. In the past 10 months of ownership I don't remember ever being flashed by any cars behind me while driving at night - and nobody ever approaching me to tell me my rear lights were out - but who knows.

Posted short video clip in the other thread to keep this one on topic: https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...e2/#post781669

Last edited by umbertob; 07-06-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:48 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
Yup, sure enough I can make the red taillights of my 2020 Defender HSE - manufactured exactly a year ago, in July 2020 - fail as well, by placing the strong and concentrated beam of my headlamp inside the upper "square", with a couple of interesting "wrinkles" (I'll take a video shortly as it gets a bit darker outside.) Whether there is a concentrated source of light so powerful and close to the lenses that could make the taillights fail in the real world, e.g. on a road at night with traffic behind you, it's a different story and something that may be hard for me to test thoroughly.

Perhaps the smoked lenses of the X exacerbate the issues compared to the red ones, by filtering less incoming light, but it does indeed look like more than just a handful of batches may be affected, and we may be in for a larger recall than we thought. In the past 10 months of ownership I don't remember ever being flashed by any cars behind me while driving at night - and nobody ever approaching me to tell me my rear lights were out - but who knows.

Posted short video clip in the other thread to keep this one on topic: https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...e2/#post781669
On the FB Group they were reporting it was occurring on more than just the X lights but its nice to see you have confirmed it.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Finally delivered!

Took delivery yesterday after a week in the shop fixing a factory defect in the rear A/C (third zone climate) evaporator. Dealer did a thorough job and vehicle was pristine for delivery.

I know its only been 24 hours, but my initial impressions:
-most amazing mechanical marvel I've ever driven! Its smooth, responsive, but still feels big and solid like a Defender should. Its a BIG vehicle... photos just don't represent its true size.

-One thing I had never read about was how quiet the P400 starts up and runs. Its almost like the gentle start up that you get when a MHEV kicks in and you take back off from a stop. There's no loud punch from a traditional starter motor like every other vehicle I've driven. Its like it just quietly awakens and fades in from stopped to running. And so far, no auto start/stop... but the AC is running in 90 plus degree weather and I've heard it won't engage in hot weather. I'm fine if it NEVER works...

-The throttle is smooth, as gradual as you want it to be, but packs a punch if you give it a little more! So far with limited experience, mine seems to be mapped properly with none of the issues reported by Steven Firth on YouTube.

-The large 11.4" screen is beautiful, bright, and as responsive as I need (honestly very snappy and no lag that I can tell). I'm a big Apple fan, and love CarPlay, but I have to say that JLR's implementation of the Pivi Pro software and user interface has a simple, classy aesthetic and may keep me using it more than CarPlay. Although I seem to be able to get better music volume with CarPlay hardwired in vs. bluetooth to the PiviPro. The tech is overall incredible and I've a long way to tinkering with all of it.

- I have no notable A pillar noise at my max highway speed so far of 75mph. At that speed I hear a little mild wind-noise from my expedition roof rack, but its not a problem at all. I have been rocking a Baja rack on my LR4 for years and it was much louder!

-I agree that the Clearsight mirror can be a little "dizzy-ing" at first, and I think will take some getting used to. But I know I need it because between the headrests, Dog Barrier/partition and spare tire, it would be unsafe to not have it (IMO).

- They upgraded my seats to full leather (as discussed on previous threads) and they are firm yet really comfortable.

-After reading the forums, I did hook up a battery charger overnight last night in the garage to make sure it was topped off. The smart charger did measure the battery to be only 50% charged when I hooked it up, then proceeded to charge it up.

-I did the seatbelt "turn off" chime trick, as described by @umbertob which is nice! That chime drives me crazy when just piddling around off road or short trips. Yes, I wear my seatbelt, 99% of the time!

- The InControl app on my phone is smooth and works without a hitch. Cool to be able to export all your "journeys" to a file for tax and expense tracking.

-My activity key (purchased from a user on FB) has been programmed to the vehicle (dealer didn't charge to do it for me!), and works great! Its a little more fragile than an "active sports key" should be, but does the job and if you hide a smart key inside the vehicle, it is disabled by the locking of the Activity key and would be useless to any thief.

More info, experiences and pics to follow. Thanks to all here for their wisdom and helping many of us to get to this point.

Last edited by drcoop; 07-07-2021 at 12:30 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by drcoop:
Ahparke (07-07-2021), AliP (07-07-2021), bobbyz95 (07-07-2021), Chief65 (07-07-2021), Moretti (07-07-2021), PatriotDefender (07-07-2021), WMN (07-07-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now