Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 orders timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 03:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. choodles
No way I am paying a markup on a depreciating asset. If they start playing w me, then Taco it is.
Thats the problem... used ones are selling above MSRP at the moment... due to dealers extreme ADMs, not being able to cross shop dealers and non-existent supply. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Old 12-21-2021, 08:25 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

So are y’all getting anything in writing before your allocation is available that states the price or agreed upon “non-markup”, etc?

I’m told there is no markup by my dealer, nor accessories added later at an exorbitant cost.

But I’m concerned I’m told that now, only for it to change later after waiting months.

Any suggestions on how to get something in writing that’s viable and useable?

Old 12-21-2021, 08:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Refundable deposit. Markup or awful accessory pricing? I'll walk. Look, you can always spend your money elsewhere. These guys are not selling kidneys or liver that you desperately need. Defender is a depreciating asset with questionable reliability. I am sure there will be a person eager to pay the markup. That won't be me.

The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 09:02 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Refundable deposit. Markup or awful accessory pricing? I'll walk. Look, you can always spend your money elsewhere. These guys are not selling kidneys or liver that you desperately need. Defender is a depreciating asset with questionable reliability. I am sure there will be a person eager to pay the markup. That won't be me.
I got a refundable deposit, no markup, and all accessories / options are being installed by the factory so no additional install pricing from the dealer.

mr. choodles (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 02:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I suspect it will vary widely with the integrity of your local dealer. JLR as a manufacturer has not and does not care about those details, in my experience.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I suspect it will vary widely with the integrity of your local dealer. JLR as a manufacturer has not and does not care about those details, in my experience.
Yeah, dude, don't even get me started. I am cross-shopping other cars and can't get a straight answer to the most basic questions. Everyone wants me to stop by the dealership to discuss my needs. Da faq.

GrouseK9 (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 02:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I am little surprised that a forum like this does not maintain a database of dealer experience. I have maybe 4 dealers within reasonable proximity. I would love to hear which are least-awful. :-)

Old 12-23-2021, 03:11 PM
Mudding
Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's my experience after dealing with several different dealers in my region (Bay area - northern cali).
The current market right now is not for everyone. It will also vary wildly depending on what region, or country you're in. I know in a more rural, quieter area your JLR dealer might give you MSRP or close to it. In a busy state such as California, it's going to be tough. I remember during "normal" times, car salesmen would scale mountains to get your business and would do anything to reach out to you, whether email, phone or in person meeting. In my area ATM, you will not even receive a callback, or an email reply from a salesman in most cases if you inquire about a new Defender. Paying for a custom order with a markup will get you an order as soon as allocations are in. Not paying a markup at a dealer means there's a huge line of folks and you may not get an order in for quite some time, with a chance of the dealer trying to screw you over once the car arrives.
Also as mentioned, you cannot travel and buy from another JLR dealer in another state, they will refuse your business.

Anyway, that has just been my experience so far. Like I said, it will vary from region to region.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

No way I am paying a markup on a depreciating asset. If they start playing w me, then Taco it is.
Uhhh, try ‘appreciating’. My ‘22 Defender 90 S with almost 11k miles on it is worth at least $67k now as of this week. Leased it at MSRP for $59k in early July.

Old 12-25-2021, 06:46 AM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think most people are understanding that the appreciating value will not last the life of the car. As soon as the supply crunch begins to ease, you'll see the value begin to fall. Multiple people have commented on these threads that after taxes in a lot of states, the sale would be a wash even with the added value. I share the sentiment that for as long as I've waited for this car, making 5K off it doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment of my time.

Quick Reply: 2023 orders timing