Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After- Market Lighting on the 110?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 08:36 PM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Very useful thread here. Thanks for all the links.

I won some ditch lights in a raffle this weekend at a club event. (first time i was at one so pretty good strike-rate)

Usually cometh the witching hour on trail, I'm either back home or securely nestled by the campfire talking nonsense to whatever poor soul is nearby.

In other words, I'm struggling to see a use for the lights.

Is there any simple way to wire these without having to invest $400 + in a switch setup. Seems overkill for 1 set of lights. Is bringing a wire through the firewall a bad idea given my affinity for breaking stuff. I'm thinking water ingress and impacting wading ability. I like the Lucky8 binnacle switch. Nice and simple but looks like it needs that firewall wire. Perhaps I have my wires crossed.
I have to admit, I often feel like you. 1/ Not wanting ti puch through the firewall. 2/ Never out late, or at least tucked in if I am. 3/ Lucky8 binnacle switch.
So I have been looking at a garage door opener and rewiring the remote to be on a toggle switch. I also started to get grandiose ideas about having a 3 pole switch with the cambus highbeam toggle...

Needless to sat, most parts are sitting on my workbench and I am still scratching my head about how to do it.

My other idea was a switchpro in the boot and using one of those high grommets.

So I'm following with interest!

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (05-07-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 05:14 PM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pangea123
I’m working on something that may be unique on my V8 and will keep you all posted.

Baja Designs S2 pros in the fog pockets, amber

2 pairs of Baja Squadrons behind the lower grille, one with the spot/ combo lens pattern, and one with pure spot.

all controlled with a Switch-pros SP-9100.

I think this setup will preserve the stock look, and add a lot of capability on dark/ desert roads.

A little trepidation as Baja recommends spot pattern beams to be mounted up higher, but I think any tradeoffs from behind grille/ mounted low will outweigh the wind noise and broken stock appearance of ditch lights.

would love to hear experiences from anyone who has installed lighting behind the grille.

made a mockup of the S2 and I think it will look pretty cool
Hey Pangea123, did you get to your lighting project yet?

Old 05-10-2024, 09:01 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Very useful thread here. Thanks for all the links.

I won some ditch lights in a raffle this weekend at a club event. (first time i was at one so pretty good strike-rate)

Usually cometh the witching hour on trail, I'm either back home or securely nestled by the campfire talking nonsense to whatever poor soul is nearby.

In other words, I'm struggling to see a use for the lights.

Is there any simple way to wire these without having to invest $400 + in a switch setup. Seems overkill for 1 set of lights. Is bringing a wire through the firewall a bad idea given my affinity for breaking stuff. I'm thinking water ingress and impacting wading ability. I like the Lucky8 binnacle switch. Nice and simple but looks like it needs that firewall wire. Perhaps I have my wires crossed.
Needed ditch lights primarily for driving on backroads at night and avoiding deer. I run spot/combos and have additional, smaller wide pods for fog. The OEM fog lights are useless.

Felt the same way - ended up getting a Garmin Powerswitch. Unfortunately, they are $400, but it allows for reliable Bluetooth control from CarPlay in the defender. I put my unit on top of the fuse box (behind the glove compartment) and just ran the power cables under the cowl to the terminals under the hood. No drilling through firewall, and my accessories can be turned on and off from my phone or Defender CarPlay screen. IMO this is gonna be your best bet at keeping it OEM and a seamless integrated experience.

Happy to send photos when the Defender is back from the shop getting the failed shock fixed (lol).

Last edited by EchorecT7E; 05-10-2024 at 09:10 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by EchorecT7E:
GavinC (05-10-2024), Huc (05-11-2024), paule (05-10-2024), WAFOX (05-11-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 09:35 PM
Mudding

Yes! I would love to see some pictures.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:58 PM
Mudding
Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by paule
Hey Pangea123, did you get to your lighting project yet?

you know it! Very satisfied with the outcome. Baja designs Squadrons, S2 Pros, all controlled by a Switch Pros SP-9100

AMA

The following 2 users liked this post by Pangea123:
bobbyz95 (05-13-2024), DaveCNB (05-13-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 03:05 AM
Winching
Received 602 Likes on 284 Posts

Hey, that looks just like half the vehicles on the road these days using high intensity lights to blind the rest of us. Needlessly.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:22 AM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by EchorecT7E
Needed ditch lights primarily for driving on backroads at night and avoiding deer. I run spot/combos and have additional, smaller wide pods for fog. The OEM fog lights are useless.

Felt the same way - ended up getting a Garmin Powerswitch. Unfortunately, they are $400, but it allows for reliable Bluetooth control from CarPlay in the defender. I put my unit on top of the fuse box (behind the glove compartment) and just ran the power cables under the cowl to the terminals under the hood. No drilling through firewall, and my accessories can be turned on and off from my phone or Defender CarPlay screen. IMO this is gonna be your best bet at keeping it OEM and a seamless integrated experience.

Happy to send photos when the Defender is back from the shop getting the failed shock fixed (lol).
Yes, please send pictures!

How is the Powerswitch? I was looking at it last year and reading reviews. Some of which complained that bluetooth doesn't always work and so they gave it negative reviews. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2024, 09:15 AM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrown
Yes, please send pictures!

How is the Powerswitch? I was looking at it last year and reading reviews. Some of which complained that bluetooth doesn't always work and so they gave it negative reviews. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
I have never had any problems whatsoever. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the Defender, hah.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:00 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Pangea123
you know it! Very satisfied with the outcome. Baja designs Squadrons, S2 Pros, all controlled by a Switch Pros SP-9100

AMA

Wow that looks fantastic! So you have any pics of the install? Was it all custom brackets? I have never seen an install quite like that! How is the performance?

Old 05-11-2024, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

There is a super nice wireless system by Trigger ($235USD that switches 4 12V circuits) that doesn't require punching a hole through the firewall: Trigger

PowerfulUK sells a bluetooth wireless switch system (165 British pounds): PowerfulUK Bluetooth Aux Switching system

For both systems, the switching box can be mounted in the engine compartment near the easy to access factory 12V power take off points and ground point that are at the right front of the engine compartment.

Or....

If you want to go super economical but still very usable and if you don't need expandability and just want to switch one circuit with the minimum of wiring/effort, get these really nicely made $19 pre made/water resistant wiring harnesses w/ 12V switching relays to wire up the lights:
One Circuit wiring harness or Dual Circuit wiring harness
If you don't want to punch a hole through the steering wheel grommet to run the physical switch that is included, get this $22 RF switch module to plug into the above harnesses instead of the wired switch (can even run them in addition to the wired switch):
RF Remote Switch

The cool thing is that if you don't want to just use the little included Key Fob to control the lights, it runs on the same radio frequency as garage door openers and you can just program one of your Homelink learning garage door opener buttons on the Defender's rear view mirror to activate the light! A very clean solution if you have simple needs, and cheap too!!!

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (05-11-2024)

Quick Reply: After- Market Lighting on the 110?