Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone get vehicle with snorkel????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by NAS437
@Kencav Did they give you a lead time on the expedition rack when you ordered? My dealer won't until I order from them and they take my payment - i assume I could cancel later if it was months out but they wouldn't even give me an estimate on availability until I committed.

AndrewT
Interesting ....

A different approach is taken by your dealer than mine. Mine will quote the prices, but will not accept my money nor my orders, until they have a lead time which is communicated to them by JLR.

I am visiting with the dealer every couple of months, and they are receiving no clarity on accessory availability.

In the meantime, I am hoping Lucky8 and other after-market folks are developing more accessory offerings.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Agreed - I am doing the same thing. On the mailing list for Frontrunner's rack availability (the one with OEM rails) and considering that or the OEM Expedition rack. I like the extra length and overall look of the factory/OEM rack but twice as much price wise and with no idea when they will be in-stock again its hard to commit. i don't like the Voyager rack design so that's out plus don't think they are in-stock either. Maybe I'll build one with the t-slot bars - I'd like it to taper like the OEM rack to conform to the body lines but could live with a rectangular one like FR's rack.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:14 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm considering building one myself, water jet cut primary rails and t-slot for the rack bed.

If there's interest, I'd make multiple...

Something similar to this:
https://sherpaequipmentco.com/shop/princeton

The following users liked this post:
Bdcrosswhite (02-10-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
Just remember it's not a real snorkel. It's a raised air intake.
Care to elaborate on the difference?

Old 02-06-2021, 01:12 AM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

The Land Rover RAI doesn't provide a truly watertight seal between its body and the air intake vent on the fender. Submerge it for more than a few seconds and water will find a way into the air intake eventually. The RAI will draw marginally cleaner air into the engine air filter in dusty or sandy environments however, by raising the intake point a few extra feet above the ground. Is it useful? If you drive in a convoy for hours and hours in a cloud of blinding desert dust, sure. Otherwise no, not really. It's just for show.

Last edited by umbertob; 02-06-2021 at 01:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
Juancl (02-07-2021), VillaDazzler (03-23-2023)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Sure, America gets the faux-rkle intake, but only Australia and South Africa get usable off-road kit, like the winch.

If only the US had the market to support Land Rover offering the winch here... All we have is the most varied technical off-road conditions anywhere on the planet, from 140 degree heat sand wheeling to some of the most extreme rock climbing in the world to deep mountain pass snow drifts... in some cases, all within two hours of each other. Oh, and more people who dig proper off-roading rigs than the entire population proper of AU and SA combined. So I guess we make a pretty poor prospect for selling winches.

But sure, Land Rover, please keep it coming with the fake snorkels and toy plastic bumper bars, each at $2k a pop installed... by all means. You’re definitely not completely ****ing tone-deaf. I’m sure Ford is gearing up for a massive sales disappointment by embracing real off-road accessories with the Bronco.

Last edited by TheLittleEngineThatCould; 03-03-2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Judging by the numbers of expedition packs on cars with all season tires, LR has us pegged just right.

TheLittleEngineThatCould (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
Judging by the numbers of expedition packs on cars with all season tires, LR has us pegged just right.
hahahaha can’t argue with the numbers... I’m forced to agree.

That said, if they did offer the winch (and maybe even a proper steel bumper) over here, I’d bet good money the sales numbers would far exceed whatever they’re doing on those parts in AU and SA. Shoot, even the proper recovery points (the hoop style that comes standard on the X) are sold out and back-ordered, due to people wanting to spec their non-X models with them. There is a very, very strong US market for usable off-road kit that LR is ignoring, and it’s costing them money. It’s not like they need to even develop anything... They just need to make the parts/options that they already sell available here.

I’m not even sure how AU and SA alone are supporting the R&D, fabrication, and necessary installation training hours of these parts. Take AU... my wife is from there. There’s this mythos of crocodile hunters or whatever, but that’s all up north. Way north. Where very few people live. Most people live in the cities and drive sub-compact cars, or utes out in the suburbs. The United States has a vastly larger market of people who need usable off-road rigs due to their daily driving conditions. It’s frankly silly for Land Rover (and while I’m at it, I’ll call out Toyota too) to focus on AU while ignoring the US market. It costs them money... Not just in total sales, but in all the cost wrapped up in bringing these parts to market for only a few people to buy.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:54 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just added today Snorkel....Rack...ladder.

Already had front under shield and flaps

To come/in transit- side steps fixed....side box...rear shield....air compressor.

tkiel (03-04-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 08:35 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

After my experience yesterday, I might suggest everyone avoid the snorkel unless you absolutely find it necessary.

I was driving down a 40mph 4 lane road when all of a sudden a thump and a bang and all I see in my side view mirror is a big piece of plastic bouncing off other cars and onto the road. The snorkel had decided to eject itself.

When I picked up the truck, I made sure to check the fittment of the snorkel and it was tight then. Somehow in the past month and a half it had managed to disloge itself. I've asked my dealer for a refund and to replace the A-pillar cap. I just dont trust it wont come flying off again.

Quick Reply: Anyone get vehicle with snorkel????