2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone get vehicle with snorkel????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 09:03 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My installer intentionally took off the door to install.
Hoping going this extra year insured a tighter and more permanent fit

Old 03-05-2021, 10:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

The single most pointless accessory next to the lunchbox. Unless you drive in convoys on dusty roads quite often, it’s a silly thing to have on a car. Especially with the noise it makes on the highway, and now this self ejecting feature.

The following users liked this post:
expatbrit (03-05-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 02:16 AM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLittleEngineThatCould
hahahaha can’t argue with the numbers... I’m forced to agree.

That said, if they did offer the winch (and maybe even a proper steel bumper) over here, I’d bet good money the sales numbers would far exceed whatever they’re doing on those parts in AU and SA. Shoot, even the proper recovery points (the hoop style that comes standard on the X) are sold out and back-ordered, due to people wanting to spec their non-X models with them. There is a very, very strong US market for usable off-road kit that LR is ignoring, and it’s costing them money. It’s not like they need to even develop anything... They just need to make the parts/options that they already sell available here.

I’m not even sure how AU and SA alone are supporting the R&D, fabrication, and necessary installation training hours of these parts. Take AU... my wife is from there. There’s this mythos of crocodile hunters or whatever, but that’s all up north. Way north. Where very few people live. Most people live in the cities and drive sub-compact cars, or utes out in the suburbs. The United States has a vastly larger market of people who need usable off-road rigs due to their daily driving conditions. It’s frankly silly for Land Rover (and while I’m at it, I’ll call out Toyota too) to focus on AU while ignoring the US market. It costs them money... Not just in total sales, but in all the cost wrapped up in bringing these parts to market for only a few people to buy.
Last I checked all the off road kit minus the bull bar is available here in the states straight from LR. And I know a few individuals who are importing bull bars.

Old 03-06-2021, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Carson G
Last I checked all the off road kit minus the bull bar is available here in the states straight from LR. And I know a few individuals who are importing bull bars.
Is it?! Maybe I’m a horse’s *** then... I read something on the winch, and unless I misread, I was pretty sure it stated that the winch was a SA and AU thing only. I’d be very, very happy to be wrong. Gonna check with my dealership’s parts dept... thanks!

Old 03-06-2021, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
The single most pointless accessory next to the lunchbox. Unless you drive in convoys on dusty roads quite often, it’s a silly thing to have on a car. Especially with the noise it makes on the highway, and now this self ejecting feature.
Yes, we understand your disdain for this particular part. But how is your opinion at all contributing to this conversation?

And FYI, my roof rack makes much more noise than the snorkle ever has.

The following users liked this post:
Finlander (03-22-2023)
Old 03-06-2021, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NAS437
^ Agreed - I am doing the same thing. On the mailing list for Frontrunner's rack availability (the one with OEM rails) and considering that or the OEM Expedition rack. I like the extra length and overall look of the factory/OEM rack but twice as much price wise and with no idea when they will be in-stock again its hard to commit. i don't like the Voyager rack design so that's out plus don't think they are in-stock either. Maybe I'll build one with the t-slot bars - I'd like it to taper like the OEM rack to conform to the body lines but could live with a rectangular one like FR's rack.
Originally Posted by Landy718
After my experience yesterday, I might suggest everyone avoid the snorkel unless you absolutely find it necessary.

I was driving down a 40mph 4 lane road when all of a sudden a thump and a bang and all I see in my side view mirror is a big piece of plastic bouncing off other cars and onto the road. The snorkel had decided to eject itself.

When I picked up the truck, I made sure to check the fittment of the snorkel and it was tight then. Somehow in the past month and a half it had managed to disloge itself. I've asked my dealer for a refund and to replace the A-pillar cap. I just dont trust it wont come flying off again.
Happy to report drove the 8 hour trip from Virginia Beach to Asheville for the LR Experience and my snorkel is still intact.
Intake is clean and free of road dust from construction!😂

Old 03-06-2021, 04:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kencav
Happy to report drove the 8 hour trip from Virginia Beach to Asheville for the LR Experience and my snorkel is still intact.
Intake is clean and free of road dust from construction!😂
my intake is clean after 5500 miles and no snorkel. I can safely say there is less noise too. The absence of dust in your intake does not necessarily equate to the presence of dust without that accessory. On my opinion Land Rover failed when they crested this accessory without increasing wade depth.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SmokinV10
my intake is clean after 5500 miles and no snorkel. I can safely say there is less noise too. The absence of dust in your intake does not necessarily equate to the presence of dust without that accessory. On my opinion Land Rover failed when they crested this accessory without increasing wade depth.
Dude I was just joking based on previous posts...

Old 03-06-2021, 09:20 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Is this something a rubber gasket or trim could fix? If the doors can withstand submersion how much more a sealed rubber gasket?

Old 03-06-2021, 09:59 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The air intake isn’t the limiting factor so why would they do that? The vehicle literally floats any deeper than the rated amount.

Quick Reply: Anyone get vehicle with snorkel????