2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Received an Activity Key since June?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

no idea if this will be hugely oversized, but activity key proof.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Simon's usually spot on if he says they are in stock. He has them. Not sure if it is the right Mhz for your vehicle, but check with him. Get your money back, and just order one from him. Not the cheapest, but you will get it, it is fast, and it is exactly what it says to be. I've had 100% great service & reliability. I'm in the middle of other "projects" with my Defender, but when I get down the priority list I'll just order one from him.

https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...nder-l663.html

NM: That's the EU/UK version. US - Yer' screwed.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:36 AM
Pro Wrench

Never mind.... Just read it is UK/EU version. Darn....

Old 11-29-2021, 01:35 AM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Just FYI for anyone still without an activity key after ordering them. I checked with the dealership where I ordered who then checked with LR US and UK HQ. Only new vehicles are arriving with an activity key - if you ordered one before and was promised one afterwards, the ETA is no longer Q4 2021 but now "unknown". The dealership is now authorized to provide either a Visa gift card or a parts credit if you make enough noise about it.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:51 PM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes - picked up my Defender this weekend and it came with the activity key I ordered

Old 11-29-2021, 02:05 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I checked on the status of my activity key a couple of weeks ago. Still on back order. I ordered my car early March and picked up late June.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Same (June delivery). Mine thought I wanted to buy a new activity key and have it programmed and said it was available for $$. When I corrected them to say that it was already paid for and not received, they said no ETA...

Old 11-30-2021, 11:45 AM
Pro Wrench

I ordered an Activity key with my Defender, but when they switched the order to the MY2022 they dropped the Activity key. Since then, I've been lurking around waiting for a time to pick one up - but really haven't been too rabid about it. I almost grabbed one from PowerfulUK but I found out that there are Euro spec versions that don't work for US versions. Whew, missed an expensive mistake there.

So as I read these threads and keep waiting/hoping, I had a thought. Why not just use an Apple Watch and load the iRemote app onto it? Any pro's / con's that folks have? Just put the keys in a faraday bag/cage & hide it somewhere; go off on the activity and lock/unlock with the iRemote on the Apple Watch. Is the concern primarily that the Activity key locks the fob & unlocks it? Or are there other concerns that would make you avoid the Apple Watch (or similar tech) approach of taking off without your keys?

Also, anyone know the part number for the Activity Key? Thanks.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:25 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I ordered an Activity key with my Defender, but when they switched the order to the MY2022 they dropped the Activity key. Since then, I've been lurking around waiting for a time to pick one up - but really haven't been too rabid about it. I almost grabbed one from PowerfulUK but I found out that there are Euro spec versions that don't work for US versions. Whew, missed an expensive mistake there.

So as I read these threads and keep waiting/hoping, I had a thought. Why not just use an Apple Watch and load the iRemote app onto it? Any pro's / con's that folks have? Just put the keys in a faraday bag/cage & hide it somewhere; go off on the activity and lock/unlock with the iRemote on the Apple Watch. Is the concern primarily that the Activity key locks the fob & unlocks it? Or are there other concerns that would make you avoid the Apple Watch (or similar tech) approach of taking off without your keys?

For one, would the Land Rover Remote app even operate in the boonies, without cell phone signal, to lock / unlock the doors of the Defender? Also, having to bring a key fob with you in the car - and put it in and take it out of a hidden shielding / faraday box before and after an "activity", kind of defeats the purpose of the Activity Key, which allows you to leave all your fobs at home and just jump out of the car, lock / unlock it with the door handle button and be on your way.

Part # for the 315 Mhz version (the one compatible with NAS 2020+ Defenders with keyless entry) should be LR147248.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:12 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9

As already mentioned, the remote app is not a reliable replacement for a key, since it requires cell service and relies on the JLR servers being up and running. Also you cannot start the car with the remote app and drive away without a key of some kind. You can use the activity key on its own, or you can also take a regular key fob and leave it in the vehicle since any keys left in the vehicle are deactivated when it is locked.

The activity key is just a light-weight, wearable and waterproof version of the regular key fob: it can lock or unlock actively (from the screen) or passively (with the door buttons) and allows the vehicle to be started and driven.

Quick Reply: Anyone Received an Activity Key since June?