Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Rack Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 05:06 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike Rack Solutions?

I can’t seem to find something that fits the expedition rack, but I am also thinking the roof might not be the best option anyway considering the height of the vehicle.

I went ahead and purchased a Thule SpareMe Pro mount which was supposed to fit on the spare tire, but that didn't work out. My last option here is to get a hitch installed which is going to cost me another 2k most likely and a week lead time.

Wondering what everyone is using to carry their bikes on the new defender?

Old 10-05-2020, 06:37 PM
6th Gear

Don’t give up on that rack. Someone over here posted a video of a successful installation of what looks like the same rack:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74595.html

Old 10-05-2020, 08:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I wouldn’t want to try and put bikes on a roof that high, but the cost of a hitch only makes sense if you’re going to tow as well. If you do get a hitch, get a 1upusa rack. Best rack made.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:30 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Troutwitted
Don’t give up on that rack. Someone over here posted a video of a successful installation of what looks like the same rack:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74595.html
Thats actually where I got the idea lol.

I really tried to make it work but couldn't get the lug nuts to catch. The only thing I could think of is the wheels I have which are 19s may be thicker towards the middle unlike the wheels he has which are 20s.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
I wouldn’t want to try and put bikes on a roof that high, but the cost of a hitch only makes sense if you’re going to tow as well. If you do get a hitch, get a 1upusa rack. Best rack made.
1up, Best bike rack period, I can't second this recommendation enough. Love mine.

I couldn't imagine ordering a vehicle without a tow hitch, even though I don't regularly tow anything, you just never know. But my 1up rack is really the primary reason the hitch was a must for my order. But I also cart around big *** enduro bikes for my son and I. No way am I getting those things on top of a car.

If you have a super light road bike or a light XC bike, you could always go with a spare tire rack.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

I would agree that 1up USA makes a great rack. I've had one for about 6 years and love it.

I'm trying to come up with a solution for just one bike similar to the Thule in the link above, but I do not want to hang my bike. I need a tray system like the 1up style rack.

Rob

Old 10-06-2020, 11:23 AM
4wd Low
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The need for a bike rack is exactly why I opted to have the hitch receiver install after my Defender arrived. I originally thought it would only run $700 (similar to my LR3) and was shocked to find out it was $2k. Unfortunately, I have to haul 3-4 bikes pretty consistently and I'm not too keen on mounting all of that to the roof. A bitter pill, but a necessary one for our needs.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:49 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Gumbee
The need for a bike rack is exactly why I opted to have the hitch receiver install after my Defender arrived. I originally thought it would only run $700 (similar to my LR3) and was shocked to find out it was $2k. Unfortunately, I have to haul 3-4 bikes pretty consistently and I'm not too keen on mounting all of that to the roof. A bitter pill, but a necessary one for our needs.
Hey would it be too much ask to see how it looks? Did they have to cut into the bumper or is it hanging right below?

I just had the local dealer order mine as i can't find an alternative solution to lug around a few full squish MTBs

Old 10-06-2020, 03:55 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Nick4
1up, Best bike rack period, I can't second this recommendation enough. Love mine.

I couldn't imagine ordering a vehicle without a tow hitch, even though I don't regularly tow anything, you just never know. But my 1up rack is really the primary reason the hitch was a must for my order. But I also cart around big *** enduro bikes for my son and I. No way am I getting those things on top of a car.

If you have a super light road bike or a light XC bike, you could always go with a spare tire rack.
Another thing I was worried about with the spare tire mount. I ride an XL full suspension trail bike and my S/O rides a small, I wouldn't of been surprised if only my bike would of fit on that mount.

Either way, I got the hitch coming in and hoping to have it installed before it gets too cold out. I was looking at the Kuat NV 2.0 with a swivel extension, but I am seeing a lot of praise for 1UP, was there a model in particular that is best for MTBs?

Old 10-06-2020, 04:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

The standard 1up works great for mtb’s and road alike. For road, get the plastic tire holders that help protect thin road tires. Since I don’t have my defender yet, I suspect you’ll need an extension hitch to get the rack out from under the spare tire. I’m also not sure if the rear gate will open over the rack when it’s tilted down, but there are swivel extensions sold by 1up and others that could help with that issue.

Quick Reply: Bike Rack Solutions?