Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Rack Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 08:22 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erknyc
Legend! It looks great, does the mount swivel?

My appointment for a tow hitch installation is on Monday, I am hoping it gets done same day. Just gotta find a good mount next
How did the tow hitch installation go? Pics/thread?

Old 02-02-2021, 08:57 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am UK based and just got my P400 which I love. Not sure about the MPG claims but never the less as in lock down can't go anywhere! The dealer sold me as part of the deal the Land Rover tow bar bike rack claiming it would take 3 bikes with my vehicle which is a must - https://accessories.landrover.com/ie...e-carrier-kit/ This carrier comes with a separate bar that fits round the spare wheel. You lose 1 of the spaces if you want to keep the spare wheel so its actually a 2 bike carrier. After a lot of investigation, it seems that the unit is made by Atera and is in fact the Atera M3 - https://www.atera.de/en/sport-m3.html but with the different bar for the spare wheel, Land Rover part number VPLER0175. There is an extension to this unit you can buy from Atera to give you a 4th rack, or on my case a 3rd. This is the Atera STRADA Sport adapter for 4th bike no. AR2624. The problem in fitting this seems to be that 2 of the fixing points have rivets inserted for no reason other than to stop you fitting this part. I am in touch today with the UK dealer for Atera. Land Rover are have been clueless about this and not helpful which is frustrating to say the least. No images yet and I have no idea if the rear door will open but am pretty sure not with bikes loaded.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:23 AM
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have not tried it by myself but I think to have read some good reviews about something like this
https://www.nakatanenga.de/zubehoer/...elkopfkupplung

sorry its in german, but maybe this helps you. I will go for a try to use it with my thule easy fold xt3

Old 02-02-2021, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

I bought a Yakima Ridgeback 4 Hitch Bike rack; needed a 7" hitch extender I bought from Amazon, but it works great, doubles as a ski/ snowboard carrier in the winter!

Old 03-15-2021, 07:11 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 1UP RakAttach in Large Driver and the thing is HUGE. Some really terrible quality photos attached.

The following 4 users liked this post by dakluck:
curb-optional (05-29-2023), PaulLR (03-16-2021), Penquinn (04-23-2021), tictalk67 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 08:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 612 Likes on 366 Posts

dakluck, thank you so much for posting this. Now that I see the Rakattach with the driver-side swing direction, I'm going to order the same. Makes more sense than having both the rear door and bike rack swing to the same side.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:35 AM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dakluck
I have the 1UP RakAttach in Large Driver and the thing is HUGE. Some really terrible quality photos attached.
Looks great dakluck! How much clearance is there between the trays and the spare tire when the rack is in the vertical position?

Also, I usually have just one tray mounted on my 1UP since I only need to carry one bike over 95% of the time, and it allows me to keep the rack in the vertical position when I'm not transporting my bike, but still maintain full access to open and close the hatch on my wagon without having to touch the rack. Can you tell me if the rear door would be able to open and the spare tire clear the bottom tray if that were the only one you had mounted? It looks like it would be really tight from the photo. Thanks.

I also agree with PaulLR that having the driver side swing is the way to go.

Last edited by majl; 03-16-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:56 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just another vote for 1up - I've had 5+ different bike racks over the years and they all loosen/fail for various reasons even with limited use. The 1up is just awesome and super solid - every part literally is field replaceable if needed. Its a "buy it once and never need another one" rack. Well worth it.

For the question from earlier in this thread - 1up sells hitch extenders - I bought mine from them for my Defender and works fine. Not sure why an extender would void a rack's warranty?

Old 03-24-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by PaulR100
Hi, I am UK based and just got my P400 which I love. Not sure about the MPG claims but never the less as in lock down can't go anywhere! The dealer sold me as part of the deal the Land Rover tow bar bike rack claiming it would take 3 bikes with my vehicle which is a must - https://accessories.landrover.com/ie...e-carrier-kit/ This carrier comes with a separate bar that fits round the spare wheel. You lose 1 of the spaces if you want to keep the spare wheel so its actually a 2 bike carrier. After a lot of investigation, it seems that the unit is made by Atera and is in fact the Atera M3 - https://www.atera.de/en/sport-m3.html but with the different bar for the spare wheel, Land Rover part number VPLER0175. There is an extension to this unit you can buy from Atera to give you a 4th rack, or on my case a 3rd. This is the Atera STRADA Sport adapter for 4th bike no. AR2624. The problem in fitting this seems to be that 2 of the fixing points have rivets inserted for no reason other than to stop you fitting this part. I am in touch today with the UK dealer for Atera. Land Rover are have been clueless about this and not helpful which is frustrating to say the least. No images yet and I have no idea if the rear door will open but am pretty sure not with bikes loaded.
did your rack arrive?
how did it fit

Old 04-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I got the rack attach from 1up to use with my much loved 1up rack, and I’m not even going to take it out of the box after seeing how heavy it is. I’ve been using 1up’s extender, which works fine, but after seeing pics here, thought it would be nice to be able to swing the bikes out. Not worth it. The rack attach is like lugging a lead anchor, just way too heavy. I take my bike rack on and off all the time, and the weight advantage of handling the individual 1up trays goes out the window when you have to manhandle this thing on every time. It’s easier just to tilt the bikes or take them off if you want to open the rear door. Wish they made a swing arm in aluminum instead of this boat anchor. At least they are sending a shipping label for free return. What a disappointment.

Quick Reply: Bike Rack Solutions?