2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 11:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

I’m out of town and don’t have access to my defender right now, but it was pretty simple. as I recall it took the following.

three bolts allow the bottom dash panel (the one at your knees) pivot down out of the way. This give access up under the dash. You can see the factory harness attached to the brake pedal (up high). That’s what you plug the Redarc adapter into.

to get better access to mount the Redarc control box and the the panel with the parking brake, dimmer and blank panel, I removed the side panel of the dash that held on with the exposed Torx bolts. Easy to remove.

I unplugged the connectors to the parking brake and the dimmer and removed that small panel insert which allowed me to work on installing the Redarc **** from my work bench.

I believe I had to pull the leather dash trim off partially. It’s held on with clips and easy.

I used 3M double sided tape to mount the Redarc box under the dash in a secure spot.

tie up the cables and reinstall everything. Easy peasy.

The following 4 users liked this post by Guapo:
achary27 (03-06-2021), DonMitsu (10-14-2020), Huc (09-22-2022), nashvegas (12-23-2022)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:04 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Adding info to the thread as I just installed mine. I took the side panel with the torx bits off but that didn’t enable any additional access for me as there was still a plastic plate there with wiring looms connected. Didn’t matter as I could do it without that side panel off. Just remove the lower panel as stated and disconnect the footwell light so you can completely remove it. You can them reach up there and find the tabs holding the panel insert with the dash light dimmer button. Get that panel insert out and disconnect the wiring so you can work on the bench with it. Then just install as Guapo did. The stock switch blank pops out with some fiddling and put the Redarc switch in its place. Then reassemble. Super simple and easy to convert back to stock if needed since nothing is damaged or altered.

The following 2 users liked this post by NAS437:
achary27 (03-06-2021), DonMitsu (01-24-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 10:20 PM
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up a new Defender the other day and needed to install the brake controller. This thread was invaluable and I thought I would just add a few pictures. First post on the forum so will try and get this right.

As with others, picked up a REDARC Tow-Pro Elite brake controller and the REDARC Ford/Lincoln suitable Tow-Pro Brake Controller Harness (TPH-006). Thanks Guapo for the initial research and your pictures.

One of the posts suggesting taking off the side with exposed torx bolts but that wasn't super helpful for access in my case, so I ignored the side and went underneath entirely.

This was an easy route. After removing the bottom three screws at the footwell and disconnecting the light to remove the panel, just needed to reach my hand under and around to grip edge of whole e-brake plate + knockout and squeeze+push forward. Disconnected brake connector. See earlier post of what end result looks like (realized I didn't take a pic at the end, but it's the same as shown earlier)

Female end of the brake controller harness is located just up from the brake and easy enough to connect.

Like others, I also opted for double sided tape as a mounting solution.

Originally considered this location for the mount. It's just in the upper left, almost directly behind the open hole for the e-brake, but wasn't convinced that over time it would be the best place in off-road situations. Figured if the tape ever failed there's a possible chance it could get in the way of other things - probably overly concerned. Also didn't like it being attached to any other components.

As it happens, just behind and around is what is almost a cubby that if you maneuver the controller in right, almost fits perfectly with the tape + has some grip through pressure. Worst cast if it were ever to become dislodged due to failure of tape or whatnot it would be out of the way of everything; though doubt it's going anywhere. It's also out of the way if there are any future services and not in the way of other items.

The rest was as written by others. Cleaned it up with some ties, got everything re-torqued back and went ahead with my journey. Hardest part was laying on my back/side. Thanks for the guidance on this thread, and hopefully these extra pics help pay forward for the next install.

The following 5 users liked this post by azryn:
achary27 (03-06-2021), AUH (03-10-2021), ChiDefender (05-17-2022), Jjohn581@aol.com (03-08-2021), RamAir (03-05-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 03:45 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know if the Australian models have the connector?

Just wondering if anyone from Australia has used the red arc harness?

many thanks. Jason.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:54 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jason Hulme
Just wondering if anyone from Australia has used the red arc harness?

many thanks. Jason.
answered my own question. Yes the Australian version has the port and the harness works perfectly.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:27 PM
AUH
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread was extremely useful to install the Redarc Tow Pro. Thanks to everyone that took the time to document the steps for us all.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get mine to work properly but I think my case is a bit more complicated. I have a 2021 P400 that came with the deployable tow bar and 13 pin EU style tow plug. My trailer is an Australian trailer that uses a separate wire for the brake lights and the trailer brakes. I’ve done some research and in most countries the blue wire on the trailer connector is used for fog lights while in Australia they are for the trailer brakes (separate to the red wire which is for brake lights).

my question is: does anyone know how to get the Redarc that is plugged in according to the steps on this thread to work with the 13 pin connector?

Old 03-31-2021, 03:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AUH
This thread was extremely useful to install the Redarc Tow Pro. Thanks to everyone that took the time to document the steps for us all.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get mine to work properly but I think my case is a bit more complicated. I have a 2021 P400 that came with the deployable tow bar and 13 pin EU style tow plug. My trailer is an Australian trailer that uses a separate wire for the brake lights and the trailer brakes. I’ve done some research and in most countries the blue wire on the trailer connector is used for fog lights while in Australia they are for the trailer brakes (separate to the red wire which is for brake lights).

my question is: does anyone know how to get the Redarc that is plugged in according to the steps on this thread to work with the 13 pin connector?
Redarc is an headquartered in Adelaide, I expect they have everything you need to make an Austrailan spec vehicle work correctly...

Old 04-02-2021, 02:50 AM
AUH
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlmuck
Redarc is an headquartered in Adelaide, I expect they have everything you need to make an Austrailan spec vehicle work correctly...
Thanks I've reached out to them but I believe the issue I'm facing is with the wiring of the factory connector behind the dash and the tow plug at the back of the Defender. Was hoping someone here might have figured out how to get it to work.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I need a little help, quick. Need to pick up a trailer this weekend and I don’t have all the parts for the redarc that I need. I have the generic redarc but the harness for the Defender (006) got delayed in whatever Covid shipping delay is happening this week. Since I have the generic harness, all I need is the connector that fits into the receiver plug on the brake pedal arm in my US defender. I am going to take a pic of it and see if my local autozone has the male plug, but does anyone happen to know what spec would be on that plug?

Old 04-08-2021, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

Hey Jason, I'm in Australia too and wanted to check, did the TPH-006 harness work without any reconfiguration of pins?

Quick Reply: Brake Controller