Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake problems need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 05:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake problems need help

I changed the rear brakes on my 22 defender 90. Forgot to put in service mode on the first caliper so when i took it off the piston went all the way out and leaked some fluid but brake fluid is still full in the reservoir.

anyways now when i turn on the car it says stability control not available. Auto braking/lane assistance not available and the check engine light is on and so is a red brake light. Any ideas on what might be wrong or how to fix.

ERROR CODE : C055e

Last edited by Jaredfurubotten; 03-06-2024 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:40 PM
Mudding
Received 254 Likes on 106 Posts

I had this happen as well (for a different reason). The error codes were reading “air in the brake lines”. So you may try bleeding the brake lines on those rears. But you still need an OBD scanner to clear the errors. Alternatively, you can try holding the brake pedal down for three minutes - engine on or off I’m not sure (try both) - this from my dealer service rep.
Good luck!

Old 03-07-2024, 05:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 615 Likes on 197 Posts

Brake fluid came out of caliper? Like the piston popped out of the caliper? If that is the case, you should replace the caliper and bleed the system.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:57 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 278 Posts

Had the same thing happen when I did the brakes on my Evoque years ago. Thought I was safe because I had deactivated the EPB before starting the job. After I had removed the caliper and pads, to my horror I had not realized that after a set time the EPB would re-engage, pushing the piston clear out of the caliper and leaking fluid all over the place. Struggled like crazy to push the piston back into the caliper, because as luck would have it I was doing the job in a friends garage and didn’t have a proper workbench or most of my tools. Guess I should consider myself lucky to have been able to get it all back together without any lingering problems.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:06 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Had the same thing happen when I did the brakes on my Evoque years ago. Thought I was safe because I had deactivated the EPB before starting the job. After I had removed the caliper and pads, to my horror I had not realized that after a set time the EPB would re-engage, pushing the piston clear out of the caliper and leaking fluid all over the place. Struggled like crazy to push the piston back into the caliper, because as luck would have it I was doing the job in a friends garage and didn’t have a proper workbench or most of my tools. Guess I should consider myself lucky to have been able to get it all back together without any lingering problems.
we got it back together, do you think the problems could be from air in the line?

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 164 Posts

lt's times like this when l wish l had kept my old Defender

Old 03-07-2024, 12:41 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

had exactly this happen when bleeding my brakes. once you have bled the lines you need to re calibrate the air in line sensor. you do this by simply holding the brake pedal down hard for 30 seconds. so this with the engine running and in park. you should hear a bunch of clicking sounds as you hold the pedal down, it'll be obvious when it completes. look up my thread about the brake service for more details.

The following 2 users liked this post by Iceman153:
WAFOX (03-07-2024), WTFChuck (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 02:21 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Iceman153
had exactly this happen when bleeding my brakes. once you have bled the lines you need to re calibrate the air in line sensor. you do this by simply holding the brake pedal down hard for 30 seconds. so this with the engine running and in park. you should hear a bunch of clicking sounds as you hold the pedal down, it'll be obvious when it completes. look up my thread about the brake service for more details.
did you have the same errors come up, if so how did you clear them all?

Old 03-07-2024, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

I said how to clear them in my message.... once you finish the recalibration procedure the errors go away on their own.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...e8/#post882490

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (03-07-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 02:21 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Iceman153
I said how to clear them in my message.... once you finish the recalibration procedure the errors go away on their own.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...e8/#post882490
when i buy the iidtool is there anything else i need to purchase with it to be able to flash the codes?

Quick Reply: Brake problems need help