2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 11:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

My LR Sales person said she would be happy to sell to anyone for MSRP. Call Sydney Archer at DFW Land Rover in Grapevine, Texas 972-295-9783. It's around $1,400 to ship a vehicle anywhere in lower 48.

The following 2 users liked this post by DefXBill:
Dndicicco (10-18-2021), hoss_vw (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:31 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Honestly, you just need patience and really talk to the JLR sales guide you’re interested in placing an order for MSRP. I am in the Northeast and when I called, everyone wanted a markup. But I visited some dealers and in the end, they were more than happy to sell at MSRP. JLR is opening up their order banks for MY23, there will be plenty of supply if you can wait for delivery next March / April.

In addition, I also think there are considerable amount of people who have now requested for MY23 instead of taking a current build slot for Jan/Feb 2022 delivery. This scenario can produce two responses.

(1) if you want a car sooner, you will have more build slot opening up for people deferring.

(2) JLR may just start MY23 production at the end of the year due to more demand for MY23 vs. starting them in January.

Either way, the supply constraints I keep hearing with ADMs are overblown. There are plenty of dealers willing to do business at MSRP. Happy hunting!

The following users liked this post:
Dndicicco (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't think my local dealer has had any unallocated inventory for weeks. There is never anything available on their website. It's going to be a while before normal service resumes.

Old 10-18-2021, 02:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by swajames
I don't think my local dealer has had any unallocated inventory for weeks. There is never anything available on their website. It's going to be a while before normal service resumes.
So you should ask your dealer to put your order in the order bank. I dealer now would have any available inventory unless someone decides to forgo a MY22 for a MY23. Once your order is in the order bank, JLR will prioritize and convert into allocations. Or saying it another way, the order of operations are now order -> alllocations vs. the other way around. I spoke to 3 JLR dealers and they all mentioned this due to demand

swajames (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
So you should ask your dealer to put your order in the order bank. I dealer now would have any available inventory unless someone decides to forgo a MY22 for a MY23. Once your order is in the order bank, JLR will prioritize and convert into allocations. Or saying it another way, the order of operations are now order -> alllocations vs. the other way around. I spoke to 3 JLR dealers and they all mentioned this due to demand
I got mine in June at MSRP, it's the only vehicle I've ever paid MSRP for - and at the moment that looks like a good deal haha.

Was really just observing there's nothing coming in for them to sell. We're going to be dealing with a distorted market for a while I suspect.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
Honestly, you just need patience and really talk to the JLR sales guide you’re interested in placing an order for MSRP. I am in the Northeast and when I called, everyone wanted a markup. But I visited some dealers and in the end, they were more than happy to sell at MSRP. JLR is opening up their order banks for MY23, there will be plenty of supply if you can wait for delivery next March / April.

In addition, I also think there are considerable amount of people who have now requested for MY23 instead of taking a current build slot for Jan/Feb 2022 delivery. This scenario can produce two responses.

(1) if you want a car sooner, you will have more build slot opening up for people deferring.

(2) JLR may just start MY23 production at the end of the year due to more demand for MY23 vs. starting them in January.

Either way, the supply constraints I keep hearing with ADMs are overblown. There are plenty of dealers willing to do business at MSRP. Happy hunting!
In the EU and the UK, they already have '23 pricing and there are many people quoting an €8,000 to €10,000 yoy increase to get comparable specs.

It could be exaggerated and it may not translate to the US but I don't think I'd take that chance if given the choice.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
In the EU and the UK, they already have '23 pricing and there are many people quoting an €8,000 to €10,000 yoy increase to get comparable specs.

It could be exaggerated and it may not translate to the US but I don't think I'd take that chance if given the choice.
Good point on the region distinction. My fault for assuming this was US focused. In their case, I would suggest US prospective buyers to look at the MY23 pricing guide which was released to JLR dealers last week. Although the configurator is not updated, you can use the pricing guide to determine your MY23 cost.

I did the math and my MY22 vs. MY23 only went up a few hundred dollars. But it was also not apple to apple comparison because ‘23 allows you to order more options from the X catalogue that are no longer just for the X trim. For example, I opted for the 18-way seats as well as full vintage leather in the SE trim (HSE trim is eliminated for the US). Overall, in my specific case of a relatively high build, it was a no brainer to go with a MY23, and was more cost effective.

Inevitably, each model year will have a price increase. However, if you have more options, I tend to think new MY is actually more cost effective than the previous year. How do I know? I found out the hard way with my relatively highly optioned Macan order. Learn from my mistakes.

Dndicicco (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 04:35 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

JCZ great insights above. I was looking at Macans and Cayennes but just couldn’t feel the same love. What was your experience like? The Porsche vehicles in my area are in a similar paucity so I assume dealers will mark up anything on the lot that might by chance come in and the rest will be orders.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dndicicco
JCZ great insights above. I was looking at Macans and Cayennes but just couldn’t feel the same love. What was your experience like? The Porsche vehicles in my area are in a similar paucity so I assume dealers will mark up anything on the lot that might by chance come in and the rest will be orders.
That is very normal to feel differently between a Macan/Cayenne vs. a Defender. I would say two completely different disciplines. In terms of buying process, I would have to say there are less markups on these Porsche vehicles. And from what I have seen, there is no markup on your run of the mill Porsche SUVs. In fact, I even got a discount on my ordered ‘21 Macan GTS back in May. This was pretty common and amidst the car shortage days we’re currently experiencing. Sidebar, I’m still waiting for my GTS to arrive. There has been delays after delays. I believe it was just built now and should expect it early Dec, at the end of ‘21 😂.

Luckily, my Porsche dealer is pretty good about just charging MSRP on everything and not marking anything up. Although you may see that in my surrounding area.

I guess with all car dealerships, it is the type of business you want to be, right? You can focus on relationships vs. short term wins. You can focus on building a loyal customer base vs. focusing on the transient customers who only focus on discounts.

Dndicicco (10-18-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 06:25 PM
7th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rangebros
Some Southern CA dealerships are trying to get a $15-30k markup. Has anyone been successful in getting one on the lot without the markup?
Went to riverside, got one for only $5k markup in August

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?