2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 09:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for this info. I was able to put down a deposit on an amend allotment from the JLR in Chantilly Va. As I get closer to my build date of 10/15, delivery 12/3 (fingers crossed), I keep wondering if they're going to hit me with a markup. This will actually be the first vehicle I'm purchasing brand new, let alone order from manufacturer.

Any other advice you have? Jokers to expect on signing day? I'm going to ask for a Bill of Sale tomorrow.

Old 10-17-2021, 05:38 PM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a build in with my local dealer, and they are quoting MRSP to me.
However I went to another local Dealer (Los Angeles) and seems like they have two Model S's, both around $66K, but are selling for $97K with a 30K markup on them. For a base S, that seems a bit outrageous, but as I was taking photos there was an individual there test driving it and considering it.

Old 10-17-2021, 05:52 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

thats an insane markup....

Old 10-17-2021, 07:15 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In PA the markup I have seen is 8K for the premium, which I consider within reason considering the paucity of inventory. 30K sounds outrageous but I suppose the LA premium is usually 20-25% right?

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 02:51 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ponder
I have a build in with my local dealer, and they are quoting MRSP to me.
However I went to another local Dealer (Los Angeles) and seems like they have two Model S's, both around $66K, but are selling for $97K with a 30K markup on them. For a base S, that seems a bit outrageous, but as I was taking photos there was an individual there test driving it and considering it.

Ponder,

Small world. Not sure if you were the gentleman I spoke to in the lot. I thought the group test driving it were your friend.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:30 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What I find fascinating is that most dealers would rather sit on inventory with their 10k+ markups for a little while then sell at MSRP or with little markup and sell it quicker.

I've seen a few Defenders at Cerritos that I would love to purchase but they won't bend on their market adjustment, yet they've had them on the lot for about 2 months. Maybe with the low amount of cars coming in they figure its better to sit on these and make more profit per unit?

I figure on my incoming Defender, even though I had to compromise on my options (wanted black roof, 11" screen, black interior and 7 seaters), I could pick this one up and if I love it (I anticipate I will), order a MY23 exactly to my specs and sell this one for what I paid when the new one arrives.

What a nutty market.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:47 AM
Drifting

I didn't realize there were many Defenders sitting on the lots. At least the more souped-up versions here on the East Coast seem to be sold out and one has to get in line for a while.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dndicicco
I didn't realize there were many Defenders sitting on the lots. At least the more souped-up versions here on the East Coast seem to be sold out and one has to get in line for a while.
There aren't many. and the fact is the supply is very tight. Normally we are going to the busy season the lots should be full of cars but there are none. The supply issue is going to hurt almost everyone out there so the only way to save money is not to buy anything...

Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hoss_vw
What I find fascinating is that most dealers would rather sit on inventory with their 10k+ markups for a little while then sell at MSRP or with little markup and sell it quicker.

I've seen a few Defenders at Cerritos that I would love to purchase but they won't bend on their market adjustment, yet they've had them on the lot for about 2 months. Maybe with the low amount of cars coming in they figure its better to sit on these and make more profit per unit?

I figure on my incoming Defender, even though I had to compromise on my options (wanted black roof, 11" screen, black interior and 7 seaters), I could pick this one up and if I love it (I anticipate I will), order a MY23 exactly to my specs and sell this one for what I paid when the new one arrives.

What a nutty market.
If dealers can afford the flooring cost then I think financially makes sense for them to hold for selling more. I think mark-up game is going to be an norm to stay for awhile until the supply catch up the demand. I tried a few too. the dealers are very firmed like you said and frankly this time I believe them (normally I don't) on the supply front. Realistically the mark-up is around 10k here in Socal. Maybe towards the month-end there's little more room.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:05 AM
Drifting

Same in the PA/NJ/NY area. For instance, each dealer seems to have 1-2 cars at a time, and usually slightly off, like a Disco Sport, or two. That said, it seems to be the case across manufacturers. Frankly, the main competition for my Defender was going in another direction with a Porsche, but they are in the same boat, at least around me.

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?