Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Defender without a markup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 08:36 AM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slates
I have a dealer in NJ doing no mark ups on Defender orders. Happy to make the connection.
That would be much appreciated! Do they sell out of territory to LA?

Old 01-26-2022, 08:40 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheeeee
That would be much appreciated! Do they sell out of territory to LA?
i can ask him; I’m unsure about out of state.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:53 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheeeee
I paid for my 90 Dynamic-SE optioned around $79K back in October of 2021, Land Rover Los Angeles, they started at $20K market adjustment and I talked them down to little more than $3K and they gave $3K of dealer accessories (I paid for the install). I drove it 5K miles and got it bought back out at about $87K this last week. Had a Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid at DTLA Porsche I couldn't pass up w/ the government rebates (Fed + CA), and even with a $4K ADM it was a financial no-brainer so am hoping the cayenne coupe keeps up its value as I order a 110 Defender X (LOVED the 2 door, but really didn't fit any utility whatsoever which was a bit ridiculous).

How long is the order process in Los Angeles for most people? I'm basically trying to time my Cayenne Coupe sale.
Can't wait to see how much Land Rover of Los Angeles is going to list your D90 for! If they bought it back from you at $87k, my guess is they'll ask well over $100k for it.

Check out their listing for a Carpathian Edition 110! This could be the highest price for a CE in the world!

https://www.landroverlosangeles.com/...ewere6n2094535

The following users liked this post:
markjlr (01-27-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I read an earlier thread where CarMax paid the owner 10% over what he/she paid for it original. And then they listed it for 10% over that! Since then, that's anchored in my mind. So I figure they will list it for $95+. Likely the $100k will happen.

The following users liked this post:
markjlr (01-27-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect this market pricing will subside as quickly as it arrived, when it does I will try and to purchase a Defender. At the moment my $80k cash (west coast USA) does nothing as no dealer I can find wants to start the process on a MSRP sale. Some have been open and transparent about the cash they require to process an order. Others have been obscure comments from sales staff that make me feel like I'm undertaking an illegal drugs transaction.

When I do come back to the market I will have to try and find a dealer with (hopefully) a one day drive of LAX that is showing some integrity today. I know the names and locations of the dealerships that I will never darken the doorstep of again, but could we run a list of dealers that people would recommend based on them honoring the agreed deal or taking an order at MSRP?

I cannot wait for all manufacturers to move to the Tesla sales model.

The present situation is lamentable.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:01 AM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

220k? Wow! That is crazy!

Originally Posted by Polar993
Can't wait to see how much Land Rover of Los Angeles is going to list your D90 for! If they bought it back from you at $87k, my guess is they'll ask well over $100k for it.

Check out their listing for a Carpathian Edition 110! This could be the highest price for a CE in the world!

https://www.landroverlosangeles.com/...ewere6n2094535

Old 01-27-2022, 04:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

Word on the street is that Land Rover is cracking down on over MSRP sales and pulling allocations from dealers. You may want to wait a couple of weeks and see what the market looks like.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:24 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
Word on the street is that Land Rover is cracking down on over MSRP sales and pulling allocations from dealers. You may want to wait a couple of weeks and see what the market looks like.
Can you share more? This is contrary to what I have heard. That is, JLR is happy that their line is commanding sharp premiums right now.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:11 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

putting a deposit/build is much different than getting an allocation.

with limited supply to begin with each dealer is getting less and less allocations.

so you could have a deposit in but that doesn’t mean much. How many more deposits are in front of you.

i got on on a canceled v8 ordered and paid 8k over sticker. Dealer paid me 10k over what i paid for my P400 HSE. Long relationship with dealer and i was the first person they called

they ended listing my p400 for 10k over what they paid me.

they were telling me they have 2 Defenders inbound in the next two months which were both sold. And mostly everything else schedule to come in has been sold.

unless you like waiting you have to pay over sticker right now

Old 01-28-2022, 12:35 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I read an earlier thread where CarMax paid the owner 10% over what he/she paid for it original. And then they listed it for 10% over that! Since then, that's anchored in my mind. So I figure they will list it for $95+. Likely the $100k will happen.
Carmax is no longer doing that or they didn't know what I got that they gave me an offer for.

Btw, I'm selling my 2022 D90 that still has less than 1K miles on. Has another car coming so I'm just making room. if anyone reading this and willing to pay the market value please contact me. I'm just trying to get out for what I'm in for.

Quick Reply: Buying a Defender without a markup?