Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 09:05 AM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Cracked Windshield

Cracked this morning on the drive into work...started driver's side at the bottom. No rock, no damage other than the crack.

Rainy day and high 30s temperature...frustrating as it just happened for no reason.

I know others have had the same issue so posting here to document. I called the dealer and they want to see it, take pictures, and send to manufacturer. Going to drop by this afternoon and will keep all posted.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
Rainy day and high 30s temperature...frustrating as it just happened for no reason.
Well, let me start by saying, that there is a reason. Bad design and not respecting the standard for its glass.
I was called an apostate by some for saying that, but I do know I am right.
These windshields are the weakest I have ever seen. Not only the defenders. I had Velar, RR Sport, and Disco 5. Every single one had either a chip, or a crack at some point, either from a tiny pebble or temperature issues.
The fact that they want to look at it, it is encouraging, but honestly, don't expect a free one or any acknowledgement of the fact that is a defect.
Best of luck.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:24 AM
Mudding

I agree: my level of expectations from any dealer doing the "right thing" with a windshield is extremely low...would be immensely thankful and sing the praises of the dealer far and wide of they actually come through.

I'm already asking myself if I want to do a replacement now knowing the new one is likely to do the same thing....

Old 02-08-2022, 12:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,159 Likes on 904 Posts

Just got mine replaced yesterday after a 7 week wait.

Same type of thing as you describe.

Spontaneous crack from the bottom edge. No impact. All the cracks I see on here are the same. Starting at the edge toward the midline. I filed a report to NTHSA. That seems to be the only way forward. Build a body of evidence to initiate a recall. It's clear these are a design flaw. Of the small handful of folks I know in my area with Defenders. All of them have had the windshield fail.

I fully expect this won't be my last rodeo at the glass shop.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:09 PM
Mudding

Did you pay for it yourself? Do you have heated windscreen?

Old 02-08-2022, 01:20 PM
Mudding

nevermind...now that the windshield has dried looks like there is a "chip"...going to be hard to say this was a manufacturing defect!

Lucky me...

Old 02-08-2022, 01:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,159 Likes on 904 Posts

Did you pay for it yourself? Do you have heated windscreen?
$50 deductible. Non-heated

nevermind...now that the windshield has dried looks like there is a "chip"...going to be hard to say this was a manufacturing defect!

Lucky me...
That's identical to mine and my friend's. When they crack, there's no way there won't be some miniscule chip that occurs at the same time. It's bizarre that the impacts are all in the same place, make almost no chip and immediately involve the edge of the windshield making them irreparable,

All these cracks are lower midline ish working up and then tracking right or left. For sure they'll say it's an impact and walk away. Mine just cracked. I've had lot's of chips in windshields over the years. None cracked liked this. Noise was like nothing else when it happened.

Eventually the actuary guys and gals in insurance will start putting a rider on these cars. It's plain as day these are not regular chips/cracks from impacts. Can't prove it of course, each event is a data point but the statistical body of evidence will be very obvious.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

Get supplemental glass coverage. It is free in Florida and $10 here in AZ. No questions or finger pointing, they just replace it.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
Get supplemental glass coverage. It is free in Florida and $10 here in AZ. No questions or finger pointing, they just replace it.
That is fantastic ... however there is a limited populace living in FL or AZ. And yes may have a lower deductible there, but the point is that their windshields have an embedder design flaw. Also, there are sometime it takes months for a new windshield to show up.
JLR or whomever manufactures the windshields for them needs to add 1 or 2 mm thickness to it, or change the hardness of the glass.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,238 Likes on 737 Posts

@ElVerde - There are, sadly, so many threads already re: this that you can probably get some great pointers from. Here's the longest running one about spontaneously cracking windshields: https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...shield-107552/

Due to the volume of these and the safety problem they are potentially causing, many are under the belief that they should be reported to NHTSA to start an investigation and recall/cure. So I strongly suggest/request that you file your experience here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle. If enough people file these problems, JLR will be forced to address what is likely a design or production flaw.

Good luck with the repair and sad to hear it has happened to you, too!

Last edited by GrouseK9; 02-08-2022 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MattF (02-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield