Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 08:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cracked windshield

Yesterday, our windshield cracked for no reason. Started on right side from A pillar. About 14” long. Not good. Huge pain as we don’t have a dealer within 110 miles. Better be covered by warranty. Not caused by us.

Making me wonder if I should replace this thing with the new Bronco we ordered first night it was available.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Funny you should say this. My 110 with 7500 miles just cracked last week. No impact, no crazy stuff like putting cold water on hot glass. Mine started right at the top center, went straight down about 6 inches and then took a sharp bend to the passenger side and is running horizontal now. It grows a bit every day. Dealer was rather unresponsive and told me it would take a month to source one.

Coincidentally, I had a coworker pick up a small crack from a rock impact and dropped her off at the glass repair shop. Since I had my Defender there I asked one of their pros to take a look at it. He has been doing auto glass for 32 years and he said that my issue was 100% not caused by an impact. He could tell that the crack started under the tiny rubber moulding at the top edge of the glass and there is zero sign of anything hitting that area. He said with the proximity to the painted roof right there that there is no chance anything substantial enough to break a windshield would leave the paint and moulding totally intact.

I hate replacing windshields as they always seem to have issues down the line. I may just take advantage of crazy trade-in values and ditch the car as soon as it is fixed, buy something else and wait to see if Land Rover can fix some of these quality issues (A-pillar 'crackling' noise, flapping wipers and buggy infotainment) before I maybe get back into a 90.

Last edited by CombatNinja; 08-08-2021 at 10:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
StarkGreen (08-19-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 10:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 613 Likes on 367 Posts

When you get the windshield replaced, make sure they use NEW clips to secure the A-pillar trim. Despite what some auto glass companies think, the clips are a "one use" item. I actually have extra new LR4 A-pillar trim clips on hand if I break another windshield. (I'm on LR4 windshield #5 or 6, I lost count)

I doubt there are Defender aftermarket windshields yet. But if there are, get a Pilkington not a Fuyao. Pilkington makes Land Rover windshields and they fit better. The one Fuyao I got had a distorted glass area and the heating element lines were really evident.

MarkZ (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Winching
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

wow - the mfg. issues on these new Defenders is piling up - amazing

MarkZ (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 10:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

I asked the service writer at the dealer if they had yet replaced a new Defender windshield and he assured me that they had, but I am suspicious that my car will be the guinea pig for somebody. Unfortunate that this platform is having so many issues but it is a first year JLR product on a totally clean sheet design. What did we expect? I'm just thankful it hasn't left me stranded yet.

MarkZ (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 613 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Unfortunate that this platform is having so many issues but it is a first year JLR product on a totally clean sheet design. What did we expect? I'm just thankful it hasn't left me stranded yet.
I agree, thankfully no stranding...yet. And I'm glad I haven't stupidly selected "install now" when that software update message comes up mid-day and I need to be somewhere on time.

MarkZ (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 11:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Your new windshield will probably be better than the cheap glass they installed form the factory. Maybe..

MarkZ (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 11:48 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Your new windshield will probably be better than the cheap glass they installed form the factory. Maybe..
I just hope they warranty it.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Generally, glass isn't a warranty item, but most insurance co's cover. If your dealer is willing to cover under warranty as it wasn't a stone strike that caused it, Congrats!
One thing to note that with the sensors behind the windshield, it will require recalibration - so much more than just a new piece of glass. I just replaced the windshield on my 2020 Alfa Romeo Giula Quadrafolio and when I requested OEM glass, GIECO would only cover replacement glass (which was $800 - covered under my policy) but if I wanted to pay for OEM glass it would cost me $1,600. Yes, $1,600 more than the $800 it cost for aftermarket glass and recalibration.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:54 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

You’re windshield’s cracked and it’s made you want to abandon the Defender? I don’t get it.

The following 2 users liked this post by MattEvan:
Defenderphil (08-16-2023), SpyHop (01-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield