2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 382 Likes on 194 Posts

We have no deductible on either place. Windshield have been a source of weight reduction over the last 30 years. VW has had tremendous problems in the Golf series with windshields breaking and cracking with impacts from large bugs. As for expensive, a Toyota Camry and Honda Accord have rather pricey windshields and had won an ignominious type award over the insane price of them. In the past Pilkington made most of LR's windshields. They hold several patents crucial to the manufacture of laminated safety glass. They can be proud of their items, but getting thicker ones would edge into the weight reduction programs most car manufacturers have embarked upon.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:21 PM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
We have no deductible on either place. Windshield have been a source of weight reduction over the last 30 years. VW has had tremendous problems in the Golf series with windshields breaking and cracking with impacts from large bugs. As for expensive, a Toyota Camry and Honda Accord have rather pricey windshields and had won an ignominious type award over the insane price of them. In the past Pilkington made most of LR's windshields. They hold several patents crucial to the manufacture of laminated safety glass. They can be proud of their items, but getting thicker ones would edge into the weight reduction programs most car manufacturers have embarked upon.
I agree, and I've said it elsewhere on here. This isn't just a JLR issue - I've had bad luck with windshields (And adjusted my deductible accordingly), and many times a small chip will lead to a crack "magically" appearing either overnight when the temp changes and the glass expands / contracts, or when you hit a bump.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Yes. It's not a cost issue. $50 is no great hardship. Inconvenient for sure, and a safety issue having to drive about with a weakened windshield for a good chunk of time. Maybe it's common to many models of vehicle. I have no knowledge of that. My last car had two or three sizeable chips in it. I drove the crap out of it on tracks it was not designed for. The windshield never spontaneously cracked in this way. Held up despite my best abusive efforts.

Yes it's all anecdotal but a clear trend is emerging or has emerged. Of the 3 people in my area who have defenders, we've all had this happen. Same crack, same location. The interweb forums are full of this issue. One chap had 4 break in a year. One guy reported his cracking on the drive home from dealership after buying it new. All just anecdotal data points. Nothing to see here.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde

nevermind...now that the windshield has dried looks like there is a "chip"...going to be hard to say this was a manufacturing defect!

Lucky me...
Two chips!

Defect? Come on guys.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:38 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Two chips!

Defect? Come on guys.
Not arguing in my case...I see a chip and therefore, sure, a crack.

There are many cases of folks without chips experiencing this, though. Part of the reason I misdiagnosed my own this morning when it was raining still and I couldn't see the chip. This afternoon with it dry...yup I lost the windshield lottery.

Unfortunately I live 25 mins outside of Mass in RI​​​​​...we don't have fancy windshield replacement laws. This is covered by my standard comprehensive deductible of $500.

I'm more annoyed at the inconvenience and the feeling that this will happen again, rapidly after replacement based on the info I've seen elsewhere.
​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (02-09-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 01:22 PM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

It's spreading to other makes and models!

Seriously though - saw this over on the Bronco forum and it reminded me of the discussion over here. I really think this is just a sad new normal for many vehicles. There seems to be more road debris these days, and it is possible everything has been lightened to help meet emission / mpg requirements. Thread here if you're interested.

The following 2 users liked this post by D-Fens:
GavinC (02-10-2022), GrouseK9 (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 01:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde

nevermind...now that the windshield has dried looks like there is a "chip"...going to be hard to say this was a manufacturing defect!

Lucky me...
Mine just cracked and is the exact same as yours! How strange

Old 02-10-2022, 06:28 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by inater
Mine just cracked and is the exact same as yours! How strange
I think the technical term is group hysteria.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Me at the Safelite shop the other day. (Dramatization) Colorized circa Feb 2022 about tea time.

The following 3 users liked this post by GavinC:
Father McKenzy (02-11-2022), TheMoke (02-11-2022), TrioLRowner (02-14-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 08:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Me at the Safelite shop the other day. (Dramatization) Colorized circa Feb 2022 about tea time.

LOL … hehe

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield