2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 08:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 23 Posts

this is unfortunate! reminds me of my Lotus Elise - which would get a chip on the windshield 1 out of every 5 times I took on the highway...thankfully I was able to fill in the chips before they turned into cracks. but it appears the glass on the Defender is so thin that it bypasses the chip part.

have a few road trips planned for the Defender, heard that protection film doesn't work too well on windshields.

somehow came across ShatterX - figure it's worth a shot.

https://www.shatterx.com/

will keep you all apprised.

Last edited by gb_junkie; 02-11-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:54 PM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

One more data point for a cracked windshield. I had to replace my original windshield due to a crack from a rock chip. Went to the local dealership to source and install a genuine Land Rover windshield in Dec 2021. Fast forward to a few days ago and a massive crack suddenly formed from the top of the windshield (right near the forward-facing cameras). This happened in the span of 10 minutes while I temporarily parked my car in front of my house. No impact point on the windshield and there could not have been anything to hit it from that position (blue sky above the parking spot). Called the dealership about getting a warranty fix but given the other reports, it sounds unlikely that they would do so. I also filed a NHTSA report as well to add to their database.

The following 4 users liked this post by tzhou:
GavinC (02-15-2022), GrouseK9 (02-14-2022), jaycadd69 (06-21-2022), Mechano2020 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 04:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

I got my unheated windshield replaced a couple of months ago now, I think.

I had a fellow bring the Pilkinton JLR factory glass to the house and change it in the driveway. We had a very good talk, in which he noted that he had been doing this work many years (I watched and was VERY impressed by his skill -- definitely some tricks to it -- a craft) and he and I spoke about how thin the glass looked. He confirmed that it had been getting progressively thinner for the past 5 to 10 years. He was kind of shocked to hear this is the first glass I every cracked -- usual, it seems.

Seems like the California fuel economy requirements have driven changes everywhere in the vehicle -- light glass, electric steering, electric braking, etc. etc.

We talked about the cameras -- which I was surprised are actually attached to the glass -- not the vehicle. He said Subaru is the only mfg. which does it the other way. He was able to calibrate and make it all work without any difficulty.

It was a pleasure to watch someone work who knew exactly what he was doing -- and enjoyed doing it well. I would not want a brand new glass technician doing the work. In any case, no crack since then !

Enjoy !!

Old 02-14-2022, 05:11 PM
Mudding
Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Is there currently a waiting period to get a new heated windshield? Mine hasn't broken yet after 1 month of ownership, but just mentally preparing it to break any day now.

The following users liked this post:
DrPizz (11-22-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I got mine shipped from the UK where it was in-stock. Took 2-3 weeks to get here. Getting an appointment took another week or so. This was Fall 2021 where there were windshield shortages.

The following users liked this post:
AgentMir (02-14-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 10:23 PM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Went to the dealer for them to inspect it. Apparently this is a "chip" that is the cause of the crack. And because there is a chip, it's not covered by warranty which means I have to go through another glass insurance claim. The good news is they are getting windshields in stock soon so supply isn't an issue.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,240 Likes on 739 Posts

Chip??

Glass is a crystalline structure. Those look like laminar pieces of glass that came off when the adjoining surfaces cracked. Either way, it's good that someone else is paying for it, but that's "Horse Hockey" from what I see in the photo.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
GavinC (02-16-2022), tzhou (02-16-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 10:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Yes, my "chip" miniscule, also. A photo is on a thread here, somewhere.

The word is out to the dealers, so mine was inspected first by the service manager and he found the "chip".

Old 02-18-2022, 05:32 PM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just even hearing whispers of this happening, I called progressive immediately after purchase for glass protection. $4/mo with a $50 deductible.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:31 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
Cracked this morning on the drive into work...started driver's side at the bottom. No rock, no damage other than the crack.

Rainy day and high 30s temperature...frustrating as it just happened for no reason.

I know others have had the same issue so posting here to document. I called the dealer and they want to see it, take pictures, and send to manufacturer. Going to drop by this afternoon and will keep all posted.
This just happened to me yesterday. I was driving and it wasn't there. 10mins later it just appeared out of nowhere. It's a curved crack, on the bottom, closer to the driver's side. The weather was upper 50s after few days of cold. It was sunny.

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield