Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Cracked Windshield

Took a rock just below the wipers this weekend and now have a 10” and growing crack. Hats off to the flatbed driver that didn’t clear his bed before hitting the interstate. Looked like about 100lbs of gravel to go so I am sure others got to enjoy the same pain I received. So my V8 has 2500mi on it and I am going to have to replace the glass. I have the extra windshield coverage with progressive so it is only supposed to cost me $50. I am concerned however that they won’t willingly let me get the part and install from a dealer and will make me go to one of the big auto glass companies like safelite. Been down that road and issues with rain sensing wipers and such never working correctly again. Even more worried with a solar, heated, HUD and all the other features this vehicle has utilizing the camera behind the glass. Also worried that the replacement will likely not have the land rover stamp at resale. General thoughts on all this is appreciated.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,298 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuckle
Took a rock just below the wipers this weekend and now have a 10” and growing crack. Hats off to the flatbed driver that didn’t clear his bed before hitting the interstate. Looked like about 100lbs of gravel to go so I am sure others got to enjoy the same pain I received. So my V8 has 2500mi on it and I am going to have to replace the glass. I have the extra windshield coverage with progressive so it is only supposed to cost me $50. I am concerned however that they won’t willingly let me get the part and install from a dealer and will make me go to one of the big auto glass companies like safelite. Been down that road and issues with rain sensing wipers and such never working correctly again. Even more worried with a solar, heated, HUD and all the other features this vehicle has utilizing the camera behind the glass. Also worried that the replacement will likely not have the land rover stamp at resale. General thoughts on all this is appreciated.
Safelite did mine. No issues with cameras afterwards. No errors. No calibration needed. OEM glass with LR stamp. $50 No other glass on the market when I had a spontaneous crack after about 2500miles too.

My insurance wouldn't cover the LR costs. Double $$ that of Safelite and a longer wait. Mine is a regular unheated windshield.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GavinC
Safelite did mine. No issues with cameras afterwards. No errors. No calibration needed. OEM glass with LR stamp. $50 No other glass on the market when I had a spontaneous crack after about 2500miles too.

My insurance wouldn't cover the LR costs. Double $$ that of Safelite and a longer wait. Mine is a regular unheated windshield.
Thanks, Gavin. Do you remember what the glass cost? Mine comes up as like $1500 but never asked about heated or solar attenuating, just HUD. I did enter min VIN.

Old 02-28-2023, 12:37 AM
Drifting
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Same happened to me 2 weeks ago. I have progressive. Told them I was going to the dealer.

my deduct was $500 though

their refund check just went out to me today

Old 02-28-2023, 05:53 AM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

Over here in the U.K. you can demand that the LR dealer replace the screen with OE glass
but the amount you have to pay is then increased.

Our main aftermarket fitter
is called Autoglass.
They are okay, but they will say the glass they are fitting is "the same but without the LR sticker" but it isn't.

Last edited by lightning; 02-28-2023 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Same happened to me last week. Fortunately in my case it was a "traditional" start-like chip and I went the same day after work to Safelite. They repaired with no issues (covered by Allstate). I freaking hate these flatbed and 18wheeler truck drivers to a point that if I see one in the road I curse them and rush past as quick as I can, not caring about the speed limit. They really could not care less to what happens in the back and rarely can be help accountable for the damage. Did I say I hate them? In the past year or so I have been through at least 3 new windshields (for my wife's car) and I have to pay the $500 deductible.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,298 Likes on 949 Posts

Thanks, Gavin. Do you remember what the glass cost? Mine comes up as like $1500 but never asked about heated or solar attenuating, just HUD. I did enter min VIN.
I don't recall the exact figures but Safelite was about $1200 and Dealer was about $2300. That's for glass and install. Exactly the same glass in either case. Given the fragility in the factory glass I'd have been happy with an aftermarket had it existed.

Geico would not pay the LR costs as they have Safelite as their chosen shop.

Old 02-28-2023, 12:05 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Curious, do you guys have pano roofs or not?

Old 02-28-2023, 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GavinC
I don't recall the exact figures but Safelite was about $1200 and Dealer was about $2300. That's for glass and install. Exactly the same glass in either case. Given the fragility in the factory glass I'd have been happy with an aftermarket had it existed.

Geico would not pay the LR costs as they have Safelite as their chosen shop.
I can say without question that I have had much louder rock strikes on other vehicles with either no damage or damage that could be repaired. This strike sounded pretty quiet but immediately ran 5-6 inches.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Maybe it is not only the thickness of the glass, but also the upright position of the windshield that contributes to so many "fatal" strikes. Former Jeep owners may chime in. I think Jeeps are even more upright.

I do NOT have the pano roof, but have heard the ones that have are more prone to the "spontaneous" cracks, due to rigidity issues. I am however no expert on that.