2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 01:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for the update, cdiceman and i am glad to hear that JLR is giving you the credit towards repair.

Repair the high gloss paint on the X and the D-dynamic probably involves conventional paint repair, how do they repair the matte plastic on the non X/X-dynamic models?
can the plastic part be removed and replaced or is it built into part of the door?

Old 05-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahparke
I agree - It's great to hear they're helping out with this.

I contacted the dealer i placed my order with and they said this type of thing would definitely be covered under warranty, which was good to hear. I'd be interested to hear if the mudflaps resolve this or not because i agree with juancl that i would prefer to go without them.
Wow I'm very shocked to hear they are prepared to fully cover under warranty. You should honestly get them to put that in an email or other writing. I agree that the mudflaps aren't cosmetically the greatest, however, the "classic mudflaps" larger option are definitely clunkier looking then the sleeker ones. I saw 2 cars today one with classics and the other with the sleeker smaller option. The sleek/small ones really don't look bad at all. You just need to make sure you do front and rear.

I'm somewhat second guessing myself on not going with this protective finish I just think it might not look very nice but I have no experience with it. Since I'm leasing and have made it now such a point of this problem, I'm less concerned about turning it in at the end and having them try and ding me for any future damage. So I'd rather just add the mud flaps and step up bar (I have kids that this will also currently benefit) to prevent greater damage and hope that when I turn the car in I'll possibly get something back for adding value to it by adding the step up bar.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:55 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdiceman
That said, I believe I was quoted $1900 including labor to have them put on.

I've lost track of the responses, has anyone replied saying they are seeing these markings THAT HAVE MUDFLAPS ON?
Wait...so your dealer quoted $1900 to to install mudflaps? Wow- I don't think even DIY would take more than a couple of hours...

Old 05-22-2021, 07:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mreloc
Wait...so your dealer quoted $1900 to to install mudflaps? Wow- I don't think even DIY would take more than a couple of hours...

​​​​​​The cost of the mud flaps including installation labor should not exceed $800 for a set of 4.

One can always look at the official JLR installation manual and see how many recommended serviceable hours each installation should take. That would give you an estimate on the labor cost by simply using your local dealer hourly labor rate.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:12 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Having my HSE Dynamic for just a month I can tell you plans and thoughts on what I've wanted to do keep changing. PowerfulUK does the mudflap install video. It looks to be a 2 or 3 hour job if you remove all the wheels as they suggest and are doing by yourself. I bought them and decided against for 1. the work involved and 2. the flaps are matt and the X dynamic all gloss and you have to remove again if you end up wanting to put the lucky 8 rock sliders on. I think I am now leaning against the lucky8 sliders due to the extra weight involved (thanks for the post on the forum) but am getting the whole car PPF with Stek in 2 weeks - Pangea green matt and all the gloss clear. Funny but I trying not to drive too much before that as I'm worried about chips and blemishes on the gloss door sills. Now I hear I would have had to worry about chips on the back door as well I would love any suggestions for similar to the Lucky 8 slider look without the weight and a little easier install. I will be using off road but nothing too hairy so don't need quite the protection the Luckys would give. Any suggestions and pictures? Thx

Old 05-22-2021, 10:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mreloc
No. 1900 for purchase and install of the fixed step up running bar.

$570 purchase and install all 4 mud flaps.

Cost of repairing my chips is $1590 and they are crediting me $1300.

Part of me feels like arguing the labor cost for install of flaps and step up bar should be covered but I'm afraid to push it with them.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:25 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

We have two 2021 SE's and neither has any chipping or spotting like you mention. One is Fuji White and the other Gondwana Stone and it would be readily apparent on the stone color. The white one has the 22" wheels and the stone has the 20's. We drive highway and lots of back country roads and wonder why some vehicles would chip or pit so bad and not others. I do regularly clean and spray ceramic coat on the vehicles and wonder if that has precluded it? I know the ceramic spray makes the vehicles look great but didn't even consider it would protect anything like a full ceramic coating job.

The following 3 users liked this post by Magnumforc:
Ahparke (05-23-2021), GFranklin (06-10-2021), tictalk67 (05-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
We have two 2021 SE's and neither has any chipping or spotting like you mention. One is Fuji White and the other Gondwana Stone and it would be readily apparent on the stone color. The white one has the 22" wheels and the stone has the 20's. We drive highway and lots of back country roads and wonder why some vehicles would chip or pit so bad and not others. I do regularly clean and spray ceramic coat on the vehicles and wonder if that has precluded it? I know the ceramic spray makes the vehicles look great but didn't even consider it would protect anything like a full ceramic coating job.

i assume neither of your tow defenders are equipped with mud flaps or side steps, correct? If so, that’s intriguing...

Old 05-24-2021, 10:32 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
i assume neither of your tow defenders are equipped with mud flaps or side steps, correct? If so, that’s intriguing...
Correct. Neither has mud flaps nor side steps. I wonder whether a batch of Defenders have defective paint? When a dealer rolls over and agrees to fix what at first glance appears to be road rash, maybe there is more to this than we imagine? I'd suggest people compare build dates to see if there is any correlation.

The following users liked this post:
GFranklin (06-10-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
Correct. Neither has mud flaps nor side steps. I wonder whether a batch of Defenders have defective paint? When a dealer rolls over and agrees to fix what at first glance appears to be road rash, maybe there is more to this than we imagine? I'd suggest people compare build dates to see if there is any correlation.
Mine was built over the months of November/December 2020.

I've decided to definitely install mud flaps when its back from body shop and I'm leaning towards also adding the fixed side step rails only because I have kids that would benefit from them as well getting into the back seats.

Quick Reply: Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping