2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 01:18 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the latest on the design defect and paint correction from JLR? I'm fighting with the warranty group at JLR and getting nowhere.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:47 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. Thats exactly what mine would have looked like had I let it continue. How many miles do you have on yours?

To answer your question, my dealer covered the paint repair cost of the side damage of mine. Its not an easy task as they have to send it to a 3rd party body shop and it took a few weeks but they did a great job gave me a loaner Jag E-Pace while work was being done. I had to pay for the mud flaps and labor of install. I have had no damage since installing the mud flaps but I also added the running boards at the same time which do an excellent job of sealing the deal as far as protection.

What are they saying to you (dealership or corporate)? I would absolutely be arguing the sides but I think you are on your own for the rear wheel damage. That happens in most SUVs.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Was planning extensive trip in my new 90X but now postponing a bit and scheduling an appointment with my local paint protection film Guy. I bought a 10 year old (black) Porsche 997 Turbo and the hood looked like that until I peeled the protective film off and voilà nearly perfect paint underneath. Made a believer out of me.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same issue here in Canada…dealer took photos and said it would take time and see what they can do. I have a black defender and it was painful to see. I got a quote for the checkered protection panels and for four panels they quoted me 200usd plus 200usd for labour. It’s literally 5 min per panel to install….lol.

I ordered the four panel pieces, two for mirrors, and one for the bumper for $400usd delivered and it arrived in three days from newdefenderparts.com

Love the look of them! I normally don’t like posting pictures of her not washed but here ya go.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:40 PM
Drifting

Not sure if the 90s are experiencing the same issue.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

This thread has definitely convinced me to get the classic mud flaps which I prefer. Just ordered and will install this weekend.

Wouldn’t any 4x4 through pretty much get the same paint chips from gravel and off road?

I’m not sure if the Defender is unique to this.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:34 AM
4wd High
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don’t see how this is a defect, we’ve been dealing with rear fenders on sports cars getting beat up for decades. On some Porsche 911 models there’s actually an option to get a vinyl panel to stick on the front side of the rear fender. Kudos for getting JLR dealer to cover the work to clean it up, very surprised as I’d think most car dealers, regardless of brand, would consider this wear and tear.

Shop around on the ppf, $4-6k sounds spicy for some rear panels w/ ceramic coating. Cost me $8k to have my entire 911 covered w xpel then coated w/ opti coat back in 2018.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:41 AM
Drifting

This thread began because I'm under a lease (so the big concern being what they try and hit you for turning it in after 30,000 miles) and I started seeing the dings at only 2,000 miles. Very curious to see how many miles ahitchcock (above) has because that appears to be 3x the amount of damage I had at 4,000 miles.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Curious as to the consensus here... I'm in the process of ordering a 110. So -- is the idea that if I get the wider fender flares and the classic mud flaps, should be good to go? I'm very torn on whether this is the look I want.

BTW - not a new issue - I had a dark grey BMW (M4 convertible) that had this exact issue after 5,000 miles and it drove me insane seeing it. Same area, just in front of rear wheel.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Just installed the classic mud flaps and love them. Also feel that I’m fairly protected now.

Quick Reply: Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping