Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 11:44 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Farm Boy
My Defender was built in November/December 2020 also. Black panels with white doors. Damage and chip marks only on panels. LR repaired the panels and installed protective film to the panels. Seems to work so far but is no longer glossy looking. More of a matt finish after the install of the protective film. Film is also peeling in some areas. Not an issue with my Defender since white above. Would look really bad if one color and the panels end up flat with above gloss. LR paid for everything and gave me $500 credit towards future service or merch. Are they making you pay for the repairs and remedie of issues? Wow! I think LR is worried about car lemon law suits. You prob need to talk to lawyer instead of just continue to pay through the nose.
No Farm Boy they are crediting me $1300 towards the repair that they allege costs $1595. They are, however, making me pay for the mud flaps and install of them at $570 so I'm out of pocket $865 on that. That's where I'm still on the edge of whether I'm satisfied or not. I am a lawyer and one of my close friends is a consumer class action lawyer and the next step would be to write a letter to corporate. But, to be honest, if they cut that $865 down a bit to say just the cost of the physical flaps ($200 ish), then I'd be satisfied. The paying and install of the side step rails I think is getting too far away from preventive and I wouldn't push for that. Thats a cost I'm prepared to take on because I have other reasons for adding them (kids). I'm not worried about turning in at the end of the lease because these are factory side steps that they are installing at JLR.

Old 05-26-2021, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Farm Boy; 05-26-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I just crossed 3k miles on my D110 with no rock chips over the rear wheel wells/door panels (thus far) but I've decided to be proactive so I'm having the stealer install classic mud flaps (front and rear) on Thursday. Price to do this is $737, which I think is steep but I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's kinda ridiculous that we have to go to these measures for a vehicle that should've logically included the flaps but ce la vie. Newport Beach prices.

The following users liked this post:
GFranklin (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 05:56 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Road grit damage

Originally Posted by cdiceman
I have a 2021 X-Dynamic and I am extremely concerned with a potential design flaw that is causing splattered dings that almost look like glitter on the back doors in front of the rear wheels. There are only 4,000 miles on the car!!! See photos. At first it was considered tar that would come off but I've been to several detailing / collision centers and its conclusively been told to me that this is happening because the front tires, at higher speeds, are firing back small rocks and causing what you see in the photos. At first I was concerned it was because of the X-Dynamic High Gloss black finish on the lower door skin and wheel arch but you can see it is going up as high as the door so I would think all models are seeing this.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have a solution to prevent further damage and what are your thoughts on Land Rover covering this? At this rate the car will look horrible by year's end.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

I also have a 2021 D90 X silicon silver, no damage yet, but I have only put 900 miles on it since the end of March…after picking it up and seeing the super glossy trim my mind went exactly to what is happening to yours…I opted not to get either style of mud flaps because the color was so off from everything else on the vehicle…After talking with my salesman/friend about it, he spoke with the service tech manager….Mud flaps are the only and best defense against this along with the 3M clear paint protection wrap…I have a appointment for the ceramic coating ( full body) and the 3M paint protector for the whole front and other areas along the side and back, which is very pricey 4-6k depending on how much wrap it takes, but in the long run will hopefully help..!!

I also found out from my dealer that they can paint the mud flaps to help them not look so out of place…my quote for paint and installation ( low profile flaps) was just under $800..

If you did go with the 3M wrap you would need some paint correction work first which would push the cost up unfortunately…I really feel bad for you, but appreciate your post helping to justify the cost to prevent it on mine…Good luck to you!

My ceramic coating and 3M wrap are being done by a specialty shop that only works with high end vehicles, much higher than mine lol, but after seeing dealer work and then their work, it’s worth the extra cost!!

Last edited by GFranklin; 06-10-2021 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-10-2021, 06:13 PM
Drifting
Default Northern roads vs south

Originally Posted by cdiceman
Thanks again whale. I just saw your photos now didn't see them first time. I have the 20" Michelin's on mine but they appear to be flush under. These markings are DEFINITELY paint dings and if you look at the photos there are a ton of them and uniform on both sides. I've made it clear to JLR my concern about the lease and getting whacked....but that's not what concerns me the most...these are +$80k cars.....I want it CLEAN and it infuriates me that these look almost like salt or dried dirt and I'm now paranoid to drive fast because clearly its happening at high speeds. I live in Illinois and have never taken this car off road.
The salt and cinders used in the winter up north is so tuff on cars, especially shiny black trim…Tampa, Florida here and so glad to be out of the northern winters…Good luck..!

Old 06-10-2021, 06:14 PM
Three Wheeling

For whatever it's worth... I had the classic mud flaps installed (front and rear) and couldn't be happier. My truck is black/black/black and I think the flaps really compliment it.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:27 PM
Drifting
Default Mud Flaps

Originally Posted by bobbo28
For whatever it's worth... I had the classic mud flaps installed (front and rear) and couldn't be happier. My truck is black/black/black and I think the flaps really compliment it.
Do you have the X ? I think the flaps look just fine on a normal black non X that also has the flared fender arches in a matte plastic finish, but the X trim pieces are a very high gloss finish and on a low $90k vehicle JLR should have a better option!!

Old 06-10-2021, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling

I have a P400 SE. And I completely agree with you... adding mud flaps should not be a necessary evil on a vehicle at this price point. To think you're going to spend $6k+ on ceramic coating and paint protection... it's crazy.

The following users liked this post:
GFranklin (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:50 PM
Drifting
Default $$$

Originally Posted by bobbo28
I have a P400 SE. And I completely agree with you... adding mud flaps should not be a necessary evil on a vehicle at this price point. To think you're going to spend $6k+ on ceramic coating and paint protection... it's crazy.
It is a specialty shop, not the dealer. He did say $4-6k so I’m really hoping it lands somewhere in the middle or lower lol.. I guess it’s just all part of ordering something you’ve never actually seen, except for the terrible online pics. I didn’t lease and after seeing the pictures of the other guy’s X trim, I hope it pays off 🤞

Old 06-10-2021, 07:18 PM
Drifting
Default Build Dates

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
Correct. Neither has mud flaps nor side steps. I wonder whether a batch of Defenders have defective paint? When a dealer rolls over and agrees to fix what at first glance appears to be road rash, maybe there is more to this than we imagine? I'd suggest people compare build dates to see if there is any correlation.
Very good idea…it is a bit weird for JLR to be giving anything back…I think there are several different issues that are going to eventually end up being big problems for JLR with the Defenders, and fixing things they would usually swear was normal wear and tear, and giving lumps of credit here and there is helping to keep customers happy and quiet!! Early January 2021 build for my D90 X

Quick Reply: Defect in rear exterior doors paint chipping