2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defender

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

I'm hoping that LR will see sense after the first year of sales and release a lower spec version with 18" wheels, there is 1 already in the lineup but by the time you add a few a items it gets exxy.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't hold your breath. The v6 is powerful but also heavy, so hence the brakes are different from other models, therefore, only wheels >18" are going to fit over those big brakes. The good news though, is check the size of them. It's a 32 inch tyre, so even in 19" wheels, there's plenty of sidewall for deflation purposes.

Last edited by Andre Bothma; 01-28-2020 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-28-2020, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 389 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by TNLR305
Have been considering for some time a replacement for my 05 LR3 with locking rear which I purchased new. Interested in the new Defender but when I spec it out it hits well over 70 thousand. I could leave off some of the comfort options and get the price down a little maybe. Wish the base motor was the V6. Don't think I want the 4 cylinder, turbo charged or not. The 20 inch wheels are a no go also. Was hoping LR would, at a minimum, make it semi after market friendly but does not look like it. I think it will be mostly a mall crawler due to it being so pricey when optioned out especially after choosing the V6 version. LR's price point is pretty high for the Defender to be seen on the trails beside the Wrangler very much IMO. I'm going to keep my LR3 for now and patiently check everything out in the coming months. I think the capable 4x4 market will be interesting in 2020 and 2021.
The next big reveal is the 4Runner. Everyone has been waiting for years for the 6th gen to come out. Probably the most anticipated SUV in the coming year/s. Mine is 15 years old now and I have been waiting on the 6th gen, which is overdue. I like the base Defender but will have to wait to see if it is up to snuff.

Last edited by stillruns; 01-28-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:02 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
The next big reveal is the 4Runner. Everyone has been waiting for years for the 6th gen to come out. Probably the most anticipated SUV in the coming year/s. Mine is 15 years old now and I have been waiting on the 6th gen, which is overdue. I like the base Defender but will have to wait to see if it is up to snuff.
Informed recently by Toyota salesman that 6th gen redesign would happen for the 2021 model year and I think Toyota has put out some info on that. Appears the V6 defender is going to be in the same curb weight category as the LR's thus LR moving it up to the bigger engine. Appears to me LR has just thrown out the 4 door base unit with no real intentions of supporting a version that is intended for the off road purists. Specked out it gets pricey on it's own and then your getting a 4 banger in a fairly heavy vehicle. Won't be able to say "there's no substitute for power". Maybe the two door Defender will be that 4x4 vehicle. Less curb weight and therefore the turbo 4 banger will be a good match. LR market intentions will be totally revealed soon enough. IMO the LR website build section is pretty much what they are coming out with. Interested in the base defender also but not holding my breath.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:46 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have some additional thoughts to share with the forum. I can build a basic Defender and hit just over the $60 thousand mark but that is with the 4 cylinder turbo motor. I optioned it out with a number of add on's that I would want. Stayed with the cloth seats. Would like to have some thoughts from others on the 4 cylinder engine. Have to admit that it is close to the 05 LR 4.4 liter v8 in regards to Hp and torque ratings. Not convinced that a 4 cylinder in a heavy vehicle would be what I would purchased. Choose the 6 and price gets crazy fast and I figure that LR will not be discounting the Defender at all. My dealership had over 50 buy orders before Christmas! So they will sell all they make. May be time to come to the realization that the 2005 LR will be my first and last Land Rover vehicle. The dealership where I originally purchased the LR3 is also a Jaguar dealer now and just doesn't have the ole LR off road adventure family vibe. In addition the dealership is a good distance from where I live. If LR was still a stand alone dealership it would be good if they expanded their dealership numbers. Of course that is no longer an option. I'm holding on to my LR3 by a thread. It's worth more to me than I can sell it for and has been a fairly reliable vehicle. After 14 model years I'm still not tired of it. However future upkeep fixing things could well exceed the book value. Reckon I'll keep the LR3 for now, keep enjoying it, hope some expensive parts don't give out and see what shakes out in the 4x4 market. On a parting note I can purchase a loaded up Rubicon in the low 50's. Appears LR has no intentions of taking on Jeep and that IMO is the wrong direction with the Defender. Bring out a Defender that will be significant competition to the Wrangler and then have options available if someone wants one really tricked out. Maybe the 2020 Ford Bronco or 2021 4-Runner will fill that void and time will tell. Just my two cents worth.