Sponsored by:

Defender v8 coolant odor on startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 09:33 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Defender v8 coolant odor on startup

Hi friends

i have a 2023.5 dv8 with 14k miles on it. More recently, when i start the car for the first 5-10 min i get a moderate coolant odor in the cabin that fades as i drive to an occasional whiff. No warning lights or low coolant levels and no visible leaks . Took it to my local dealer and they claim no leaks, normal pressure tests, and can’t perceive any smells.. but I’m obviously not making it up and I don’t think my dealer was that thorough. Wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if so what the resolution was.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyj
Hi friends

i have a 2023.5 dv8 with 14k miles on it. More recently, when i start the car for the first 5-10 min i get a moderate coolant odor in the cabin that fades as i drive to an occasional whiff. No warning lights or low coolant levels and no visible leaks . Took it to my local dealer and they claim no leaks, normal pressure tests, and can’t perceive any smells.. but I’m obviously not making it up and I don’t think my dealer was that thorough. Wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if so what the resolution was.
i've noticed the same with my 2023.5 V8 with 5k miles on it. I can only smell it when the heat is on, with AC i'm not getting the odor. I haven't taken it in yet, but not seeing any leaks on the garage floor.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Dealing with it as we speak. As I said in my thread about this issue... Its more than likely your heater core if you're smelling it in the interior. Tell em' to do the pressure test with the heat ON. That said, dpending on how bad the leak, it may not register much on the pressure test. Mine defintiely failed the test, they didn't even try to feed me any mess. Plus the maple syrup smell was strong enough for even my kid to notice it...

Heatercore on back order. Trucks been sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks now. They have no idea when the part will come in. Could be a week. Could be 6 months. Opened a case with JLR and no response from them, and the dealer does nothing other than checks to see the status. which states "backorder no eta")

Old 01-25-2024, 08:20 AM
Three Wheeling

I just got my car back from the dealer, and no coolant leaks were found. They indicated that it could be burn off as this is the first time I'm using the heater since getting the car. Don't know if that is true or just BS they are feeding me. They did replace the cabin air filter as well.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:56 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by foldpages
I just got my car back from the dealer, and no coolant leaks were found. They indicated that it could be burn off as this is the first time I'm using the heater since getting the car. Don't know if that is true or just BS they are feeding me. They did replace the cabin air filter as well.
my dealer- which to their credit has tried to diagnose the issue. Is saying that they think it’s from a spill in the cabin… problem is nothing has spilled and I’m the sole driver. Wondering if it’s just a design issue.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 257 Likes on 156 Posts

My old 2011 LR4, which had the NA 5.0 V8, almost always smelled like coolant at startup and went away after a few minutes. It was a lot worse when the coolant crossover pipes went bad or when I had a coolant leak, but regardless, it always smelled like coolant.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

If you are not afraid of somewhat "Blue" comedy, Dennis Leary did a bit on Coffee Flavored Coffee. He has an experience with Maple Syrup Flavored Coffee, which he panics and thinks his heater has sprung a leak.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:39 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

funny cause i’m experiencing the same. only when my heater is on and my kids notice it also. it does go away after 5-10 minutes.

for back ordered parts, going through a similar issue with a so called back ordered part for months i was able to find the part at a neighboring dealership the same day.

i can tell you they don’t look very hard. i would not accept their response with no timeline

Old 01-25-2024, 04:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Ehloo
funny cause i’m experiencing the same. only when my heater is on and my kids notice it also. it does go away after 5-10 minutes.

for back ordered parts, going through a similar issue with a so called back ordered part for months i was able to find the part at a neighboring dealership the same day.

i can tell you they don’t look very hard. i would not accept their response with no timeline
i'm surprised reading so many comments about coolant smell. makes me wonder if it really is coolant or something else.