Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defenders in the Wild. Let's see them.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 10:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Finally got some trail time in near Leavenworth WA.

Forests that burned in 2020 showing signs of life

Snow and mud…

back at the ranch being evaluated by Rosemary the Bloodhound
What track is that? Looks like a fun day out

Old 06-06-2022, 11:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
What track is that? Looks like a fun day out
@GavinC It was indeed. What I was *trying* to do is visit the oldest fire lookout in WA state at the top of Sugarloaf Peak. Pics here

It's an extremely cool old structure with one ranger living in it, up on top of a rock -- 2 huge fires have blown thru here but the lookout has never burned. Bit of a famous spot although no one I know has ever been up there.

What I didn't realize is that by the time I'd get to the top it would be insane mud and snow so I turned around about 1/4 mile before all went to hell. PS I saw a group of rangers (or one of their supply/support vehicles) in a very snow-capable side by side -- I think they were surprised I was in the area. Technically before June 15 the final leg to the lookout may be closed.

That said my route was supposed to be fire/forest service roads, but I was pleasantly surprised at the level of mud, rocks to clamber over and other terrain. A good "lite" off-roading day. Highly recommend for a trip with the wife & kids. It's scary enough to get you in trouble with family and get the rig dirty and test the technology, but I felt fine without a winch and solo (I know I know...). My route was:

USFS 6101 (a mostly groomed road with houses on it, and some potholes which turns more rocky as it goes)
USFS 6104 (a rocky climb up a hill - hit a downed tree so turned around and back to USFS 6101)
USFS 6101 up to the Mad River Trailhead
National Forest Development Road 5200 (VERY cool thru burned areas, steep cliff drop-offs on the side of the road, beautiful views) -- this road is really cool, still a forest service road but had it Low Range, lots of mud, lots of rocks, 4 Lo + Offroad height for sure)
Then Fire Road 715 (I turned around here) takes you to summit

On this I started on roads where the arrow points and then made it around to the Sugarloaf Peak Summit area which is circled. Lake Wenatchee would be off to the left.

Last edited by nashvegas; 06-06-2022 at 11:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nashvegas:
GavinC (06-06-2022), GrouseK9 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
@GavinC It was indeed. What I was *trying* to do is visit the oldest fire lookout in WA state at the top of Sugarloaf Peak. Pics here

It's an extremely cool old structure with one ranger living in it, up on top of a rock -- 2 huge fires have blown thru here but the lookout has never burned. Bit of a famous spot although no one I know has ever been up there.

What I didn't realize is that by the time I'd get to the top it would be insane mud and snow so I turned around about 1/4 mile before all went to hell. PS I saw a group of rangers (or one of their supply/support vehicles) in a very snow-capable side by side -- I think they were surprised I was in the area. Technically before June 15 the final leg to the lookout may be closed.

That said my route was supposed to be fire/forest service roads, but I was pleasantly surprised at the level of mud, rocks to clamber over and other terrain. A good "lite" off-roading day. Highly recommend for a trip with the wife & kids. It's scary enough to get you in trouble with family and get the rig dirty and test the technology, but I felt fine without a winch and solo (I know I know...). My route was:

USFS 6101 (a mostly groomed road with houses on it, and some potholes which turns more rocky as it goes)
USFS 6104 (a rocky climb up a hill - hit a downed tree so turned around and back to USFS 6101)
USFS 6101 up to the Mad River Trailhead
National Forest Development Road 5200 (VERY cool thru burned areas, steep cliff drop-offs on the side of the road, beautiful views) -- this road is really cool, still a forest service road but had it Low Range, lots of mud, lots of rocks, 4 Lo + Offroad height for sure)
Then Fire Road 715 (I turned around here) takes you to summit

On this I started on roads where the arrow points and then made it around to the Sugarloaf Peak Summit area which is circled. Lake Wenatchee would be off to the left.
@nashvegas

Thanks a million. This is great info. Forest roads can be rough as guts. Particularly this time of year when snows have prevented any clearing of treefall or avalanche/slide debris.

Great stuff

Edit: I love going to fire lookouts. I've hiked up to a few now. Driving to them is all the sweeter.

Green Mountain Lookout

Evergreen Mountain Lookout (Almost there)

Roaring Ridge, (Burned down in the 60's I think)

Last edited by GavinC; 06-06-2022 at 12:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (06-07-2022), MattF (06-07-2022), nashvegas (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 03:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by gurka01
Top of Engineers Pass in Colorado last year and first real off-roading for the Defender
@gurka01 How did your D110 do on these passes? Did the lack of articulation help or hinder on some of the rocky, off-camber sections? Did you find yourself tilting or leaning as much as many of the Jeeps that I see in videos? The vehicles leaning near those cliff edges gives me a bit of pause! I've got your same rig with some BFG tires, but otherwise stock and headed next month from Little Rock, AR on an 10 day overland dream trip, RTT camping through New Mexico and southern Colorado on our way to Ouray and Telluride to tackle Cinnamon pass, and Imogene!

Last edited by drcoop; 06-06-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by drcoop
headed next month to tackle Cinnamon pass, and Imogene!
Me too! End of July, first of August. Not sure which passes. A friend and I are driving Atlanta-Telluride, hanging out for 4-5 days in Tell/Silverton/Ouray, and will do probably Blackbear and Engineers but I'm not certain yet. I'll be in a 110 with 18" Cooper RTs, 1.5" Johnsons if needed.

The following users liked this post:
drcoop (06-06-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 05:57 AM
Pro Wrench

I have zero experience with the rods, other than having fitted them and driven around and unfitted them, just to make sure everything work. Fitting them is indeed a trivial experience. And what I meant about “if needed” is I have no desire to put them on unless I find myself in the situation where another 1.5” of lift will get me clearance that I’m currently missing — a narrow window, admittedly.

I am a man who builds his off-roaders to be as short as possible for the conditions. I built my last Wrangler with a very mild lift (2.5”), the minimum I could get away with for 37” tires. I absolutely DO NOT like being crosswise on a slope and feeling top heavy, so I agree with you 100%. I won’t have anything on the roof of the 110 — I don’t even have a rack and won’t be adding one.

On the preliminary vids I’ve seen over the years I didn’t think there was anything demanding about the Blackbear terrain itself, but the drop-offs, of course, can be terrifying. But I was watching them with an eye toward modified Jeep capabilities — I’ll definitely want to watch again with an eye toward the abilities of the Defender, but I don’t remember any big rock waterfalls or other elements that would bang the body up because of clearance.

And I’d love to hear from anyone with Engineer’s Pass experience on here. Every time I’ve gone through on my way to Moab it’s been the shoulder seasons and even the paved road passes were closed.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:21 AM
Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I have zero experience with the rods, other than having fitted them and driven around and unfitted them, just to make sure everything work. Fitting them is indeed a trivial experience. And what I meant about “if needed” is I have no desire to put them on unless I find myself in the situation where another 1.5” of lift will get me clearance that I’m currently missing — a narrow window, admittedly.

I am a man who builds his off-roaders to be as short as possible for the conditions. I built my last Wrangler with a very mild lift (2.5”), the minimum I could get away with for 37” tires. I absolutely DO NOT like being crosswise on a slope and feeling top heavy, so I agree with you 100%. I won’t have anything on the roof of the 110 — I don’t even have a rack and won’t be adding one.

On the preliminary vids I’ve seen over the years I didn’t think there was anything demanding about the Blackbear terrain itself, but the drop-offs, of course, can be terrifying. But I was watching them with an eye toward modified Jeep capabilities — I’ll definitely want to watch again with an eye toward the abilities of the Defender, but I don’t remember any big rock waterfalls or other elements that would bang the body up because of clearance.

And I’d love to hear from anyone with Engineer’s Pass experience on here. Every time I’ve gone through on my way to Moab it’s been the shoulder seasons and even the paved road passes were closed.
I did black bear last year in the jeep, the worst part is the steps, you might get some lower bumper/fascia damage.I would not go down black bear in my son's stock defender.

I did Engineer pass three years ago, again in the jeep, that was "easy" for the jeep, I don't expect any issues going with the defender, by late july the pass should be open/dirt road groomed by the heavy machinery, YMMV.
EDIT: I should mention I traveled Engineer pass east to west, from Lake City to Ouray, I think that is the easier approach as opposed to the other direction. Last summer they had major construction going on highway 50, so check on that as you plan your travels

Last edited by new to landrover; 06-07-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:16 AM
Mudding
Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts
The following 3 users liked this post by AgentMir:
4x4 DAVE (09-25-2022), GavinC (06-08-2022), The Phantom Menace (04-04-2024)
Old 06-08-2022, 02:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Whoa! Spectacular terrain. Where is that?

Old 06-08-2022, 03:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I believe that's Trona Pinnacles

Quick Reply: Defenders in the Wild. Let's see them.