Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Wheel Arches Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 03:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 417 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
I clearly lack your finesse. Removing the regular arches, I found it impossible to preserve their plastic tabs . The clips go flying. No biggie, but the tabs breaking means they'll never seat properly again. I damaged he originals a little when I removed the rear bumper for the tow loop install. I little glue fixed it like new but it was a less than ideal result. (No need to remove the arches much if at all. I was being dumb)

My chances of removing these and being able to reuse them like new or at all would be slim to none.
Don't worry when I removed mine I broke every clip then threw the flares in the trash

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (08-30-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 11:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,165 Likes on 625 Posts

Question -- Is the "etching" thing really necessary? Idk, I've installed flares on lots of Discoveries etc, and on other vehicles ... you just clean the paint with alcohol, stick them on with the pre-applied 3m tape... and ... that's it.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,298 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Question -- Is the "etching" thing really necessary? Idk, I've installed flares on lots of Discoveries etc, and on other vehicles ... you just clean the paint with alcohol, stick them on with the pre-applied 3m tape... and ... that's it.
No idea. I just call it etching. Conditioning or activation is probably a better term. I guess the good folks at 3M have their reasons. Who am I to question their sticky know-how?

Old 03-02-2023, 03:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RH5555
One of my arches is lifting a little in one location which I have been studiously ignoring (I'm probably the only person who sees it). @Ehloo, 'm interested in the technique for removal, cleanup of old 2-sided tape, procurement of new tape and activator. All pointers gratefully received.
I made the same mistake in the left rear side of the small door trim. Really hard to align with the piece that goes over the wheel well. Had to take it apart a couple times after the tape was applied and now it sits a bit lower than the back piece and not completely flush like the right side (I am probably the only one seeing too, but my OCD kicks-in every now and then).

Does anybody have ideas on re-install with clean-up, removal of old tape and applying new tape? Where can I find that strip of double sided tape?

TIA

Old 03-02-2023, 04:15 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

3m VHB tape is the strongest but you better get it right cause it’s very hard to remove

if you don’t align the fenders perfectly with the contours and angles it will start lifting over time

key to removing the fenders is removing the fender liner and trying to access the clips. you will most likely break some clips but you don’t want to break the fender tabs. Fenders are useless after. you are basically trying to access the clips from the inside inside of manhandling and just pulling the fenders off.

get a heat gun or blow dryer and get the fenders warm so the tape starts to loosen up.

one of my fenders started lifting. i didn’t do the install as my PPF installer did it. i ended up just sticking some more tape on top on the original tape to hold it down. the VHB stiff me very tacky and strong

Originally Posted by mrego
I made the same mistake in the left rear side of the small door trim. Really hard to align with the piece that goes over the wheel well. Had to take it apart a couple times after the tape was applied and now it sits a bit lower than the back piece and not completely flush like the right side (I am probably the only one seeing too, but my OCD kicks-in every now and then).

Does anybody have ideas on re-install with clean-up, removal of old tape and applying new tape? Where can I find that strip of double sided tape?

TIA

Old 03-02-2023, 04:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
3m VHB tape is the strongest but you better get it right cause it’s very hard to remove

if you don’t align the fenders perfectly with the contours and angles it will start lifting over time

key to removing the fenders is removing the fender liner and trying to access the clips. you will most likely break some clips but you don’t want to break the fender tabs. Fenders are useless after. you are basically trying to access the clips from the inside inside of manhandling and just pulling the fenders off.

get a heat gun or blow dryer and get the fenders warm so the tape starts to loosen up.

one of my fenders started lifting. i didn’t do the install as my PPF installer did it. i ended up just sticking some more tape on top on the original tape to hold it down. the VHB stiff me very tacky and strong
Thanks. I bought additional tape at amazon and will probably apply over the existing one if I can't remove it.