Sponsored by:

Front windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 12:01 AM
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front windshield

Hello!

new to the forum, i have a 20 defender P400- the windshield cracked mid Dec, and I’ve had a new one on order since then.

the dealer is saying that one wont ship until end of months and it will be a month to get it.

I’ve raised the issue with Land Rover USA, they took the report and did nothing (over 2 weeks no response) .....

The crack is so bad now (18 inches) that ill get a ticket for it and between that and the rattle on the A pillar (dealer wont fix that until the windshield is done) it just getting to where its a PITA to deal with...

the defender is gonna get parked if i can’t find a solution- anyone know where one is available?

Old 01-15-2021, 07:40 AM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't you get a temporary replacement through your vehicle insurance until the OEM arrives from LR?

Old 01-15-2021, 08:12 AM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I checked with my local Safelite agent. It appears that generic replacement glass for Defenders is not available as yet.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Get a printed statement from JLR saying the window is on backorder until infinity and you won't get a ticket. I have a 12 inch crack on my 4Runner going on 7 years now. You won't even notice it after a while. What other options do you have. None really.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:13 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Just wait for it. Unless it's shattered just keep driving it.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:24 AM
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello guys,

the rattle on the A pillar is really bad and the crack is about 18” right through the eyes. It’s growing regularly (about and 1” a week)

I can drive it, but it’s an outside car and I afraid it will start to leak as it gets bigger.

the a pillar rattle is horrible too. And I can get it fixed until the window is fixed.

there are zero non oem windshields- Safelight even refused to try to “glue” it when it was a 3” crack,

it’s the window starts leaking, I have a serious problem, hence the reasoning for parking it. Just really stinks they can’t better support basic consumables.

ive had windshields on far more exotic cars break, at it wasn’t much of an issue.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:40 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Do you have the cold climate pack with the heated windshield?

What did they quote you to replace the windshield?

If you get ticketed Im guessing that would be a a "fix it ticket" scenario. If you show them the correspondence from the dealer they might not even ticket you?

Old 01-15-2021, 12:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Hang in there.

I suspect the reality is that the global supply chain of parts is likely being heavily impacted by global COVID, and JLR is prioritizing the production of new vehicles firstly (to stay profitable), followed by high-visibility-customer's quality or parts needs.

Thus, there is no winch to order and no windshields to buy, and likely much more. I recently crinkled my rear right quarter a bit off-road (gently slipped off a muddy rock into a tree) and I am resolved to not even look into having it repaired until the Supply Chain as a whole is healthy (fearing the body guys will take my car and hold it out of service for months).

The vaccine process cannot complete early enough !!

Old 01-15-2021, 12:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I’m placing a protective film (Exoshield - $699) on the windshield. My commute is all highway and I have had some form of rock damage to my cars windshield every year. Might be worth looking into when you get your new windshield. Even though insurance covers damage it can potentially save time and headache waiting on new parts. Anyone have experience with exoshield or similar/better product?

Old 01-15-2021, 01:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

I had my windscreen replaced twice in the first 5 months of ownership. Both times my dealer (in Louisville, KY) was able to get my replacement screen in within a week or two. The first replacement was due to a bad rock strike. the second occurred only 2 weeks after the replacement. I never noticed a rock strike or anything. A crack appeared vertically from the lower edge. I assume it was either poor installation of the replacement or a faulty screen. They said it was an impact crack though. My insurance still covered it (covered both). Cost to insurance each time was just under $2,000 US.

Quick Reply: Front windshield