2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 08:11 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a small crack I noticed today, cold weather pack only no HUD. Curious how long it'll be for replacement/fix. No impact, it just appeared, curious if it's stress fracture from pressure changes or something. Update: Caught a tiny rock chip near the top of the windscreen, the crack extends out sort of like an upside town T, about a foot long total.

Last edited by whale; 04-05-2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure you can do much about replacement windshield unavailability; but refusal to repair/replace the snorkel vibration/sound is BS. It should be covered by the warranty, so failure or refusal to repair is a breach of warranty.

Take it back in and ask them to repair the snorkel again, if they don't, get a repair order or written document that show's you brought it in. Next week do the same thing. In most states, if a dealer refuses or fails to repair the same problem 4 times within the first year or 12,000 miles of ownership, you can file suit and make the manufacturer buy the car back. A good attorney will file lemon law and breach of written and implied warranty claims. For breach of warranty, even if you keep the car, you can get diminished value damages which might cover the cost of the windshield replacement. And the statute has a fee shifting provision, which means JLR will have to pay your attorney fees, so you won't be out of pocket. If it's just lemon law, there's no fee shifting.

FWIW, when I was driving my Defender home to NOLA from Raliegh, an 18-wheeler threw a rock and I have a chip smaller than a dime. It hasn't spread, but guess I better take it in and get it sealed. I'll wait for it to get bad before I shell out the $2k for a new heated windshield.

Last edited by brydup; 04-05-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:24 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked for no reason.

Literally just bought my 2022 defender 90 three weeks ago and there is a Crack in the windshield for no reason. Starts from the bottom and is spreading upwards towards the drivers side. They need to do a massive recall already. This is ridiculous. I had to pay a $500 deductible to get it replaced and I know that it will probably just happen again. I filed a complaint with NHTSA tonight. I hope that something can be done about this issue soon. This is Obviously a very common defect that Land Rover should have acknowledged by now.
Cracked for no reason 🤬😡

Old 01-03-2023, 07:12 AM
Winching
Received 574 Likes on 302 Posts

I would suggest that EVERYONE who's had this issue in the USA file a complaint with NHTSA.

Here's the link.

NHTSA Complaints

It's quick to do.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (01-04-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 10:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by whale
Got a small crack I noticed today, cold weather pack only no HUD. Curious how long it'll be for replacement/fix. No impact, it just appeared, curious if it's stress fracture from pressure changes or something. Update: Caught a tiny rock chip near the top of the windscreen, the crack extends out sort of like an upside town T, about a foot long total.
I just experienced a spontaneous crack similar to this one -- starting at the top center of the windshield, splitting into two and going horizontally to the left and the right. It happened after a car wash while it was sitting parked in the sun. So frustrating.

I've got an appointment with Safelite, who say they have an aftermarket windshield that is "identical to OEM except for the logo." I do not have the heated windshield. Does anyone have experience with Safelite windshields on the Defender?

Old 06-05-2023, 11:09 AM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've used safelite before, on another vehicle. Good experience.
For those with Heated Windshield (like mine), can you install a non-heated one if it gets cracked? I know you dont get the feature you originally had, but with shortages, trying to figure out options.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by rakusak
I've used safelite before, on another vehicle. Good experience.
For those with Heated Windshield (like mine), can you install a non-heated one if it gets cracked? I know you dont get the feature you originally had, but with shortages, trying to figure out options.
I am having mine replaced on Friday with the heated windshield at safelite. I called them last week so they must not be that hard to find. Even verified heat, solar etc. They have to do it in the shop though and could not come to my house.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:17 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Good to know! Thanks!

Old 06-05-2023, 12:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 19 Posts

I also have two massive spontaneous cracks on my windshield. 2023.5 110 X-Dynamic. Seems like maybe a manufacturing defect?

Old 06-05-2023, 03:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 89 Likes on 33 Posts

Just had mine replaced a couple of hours ago. It was not an OEM replacement. I have the heated and solar film. No HUD. Work was done by Safelite at their shop.

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (06-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Front windshield