Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 01:49 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Guapo
I had my windscreen replaced twice in the first 5 months of ownership. Both times my dealer (in Louisville, KY) was able to get my replacement screen in within a week or two. The first replacement was due to a bad rock strike. the second occurred only 2 weeks after the replacement. I never noticed a rock strike or anything. A crack appeared vertically from the lower edge. I assume it was either poor installation of the replacement or a faulty screen. They said it was an impact crack though. My insurance still covered it (covered both). Cost to insurance each time was just under $2,000 US.
Did you have to pay a deductible or no? Do you have the heated windshield?

Old 01-15-2021, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

Zero deductible. And yes, I have the heated windshield. I also have the raised air intake, which has to be removed to replace the windscreen. It's a PITA.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:38 AM
7th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. I have the heated windshield, and the dealer quoted $1800 to do it.

no insurance coverage here in Ca on that. Crappy part is that I have the window tinted

Old 01-27-2021, 11:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

I have never heard of a cracked windshield leaking... you are probably fine.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:09 AM
Mudding
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Every Land Rover I have ever had has had at least one windshield replaced during my ownership. And based on how many Defenders are in the service area at my local dealer, it looks like they are replacing at least one a week. Winter is a hard time on cars, and due to the upright design of the LR windshields, they are more susceptible to rock damage. I recently wen on our first road trip with the Defender and got 4 rock chips that had to be filled when I got home. one was easily the size of a dime.

Rob

Old 02-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine cracked TODAY!

Old 02-10-2021, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I just noticed a crack on the lower right hand side of the windshield. Could it be a stress crack. It is still the original windshield and nothing hit it. The dealer did work on the right side to fix the A pillar tapping sound three times, and the noise is still there. I had a similar situation with a BMW years ago, and the dealer determined it was a stress crack and replaced it under warranty. Has anyone experienced a stress crack on this forum?

Old 04-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Windshield availability?

I had a rock strike my 2021 Defender windshield a month ago which overnight developed into a vertical crack and now working its way across the bottom of the driver's side towards the passenger side. Obviously, it wasn't repairable so as soon as I returned home from that trip got in contact with my normal glass replacement companies and was told that they had no windshields at this time. I inquired with my dealer in Portland and they confirmed that there was no current stock in the US and, worse, no ETA for the new delivery. So here I am watching my windshield crack horizontally as I await stock. I had to pre-order / pay for my windshield too to place the order.

My X-Dynamic HSE has the cold weather pack so heated, plus heads up display option so perhaps that's less common. Luckily the crack is only annoying at the moment vs a major issue.

Has anyone else run into the same availability issues?

Last edited by gwelland; 04-04-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:36 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gwelland
I had a rock strike my 2021 Defender windshield a month ago which overnight developed into a vertical crack and now working its way across the bottom of the driver's side towards the passenger side. Obviously, it wasn't repairable so as soon as I returned home from that trip got in contact with my normal glass replacement companies and was told that they had no windshields at this time. I inquired with my dealer in Portland and they confirmed that there was no current stock in the US and, worse, no ETA for the new delivery. So here I am watching my windshield crack horizontally as I await stock. I had to pre-order / pay for my windshield too to place the order.

My Defender-X HSE has the cold weather pack so heated, plus heads up display option so perhaps that's less common. Luckily the crack is only annoying at the moment vs a major issue.

Has anyone else run into the same availability issues?
Yup. Take a number and stand in line. Supply chain and Covid shut downs have limited global supply on a lot of commodities.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:16 PM
SM8
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had same kind of crack that happened 2.5 weeks ago. Back then the windshield replacement company who works on behalf of the dealership said there were no windshields and no ETA, but got a call 2 days ago to say it had arrived and was fitted yesterday. It wasn’t a heated one, but still pleased it came relatively quickly.

The following users liked this post:
gwelland (04-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Front windshield