Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Door Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 12:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
There's a converted fire station on the market up the road from me.

Garage is as enormous as you'd imagine.

*OP soon

@GavinC already have an offer in.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 12:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

This thread is great!

Like previously said, airing down would get you out but you would have to repeat every time and that isn't going to work.

Option 2, remove the sharkfin antenna completely? Maybe there is one that is flat or lower that can be installed in its place.

Pictures of the antenna and the railing would be quite awesome

Last edited by stillruns; 11-16-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:57 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Couriki125
If you want a daily dose of first world problems, you've come to the right place. Let me preface this by saying I feel like the world's biggest idiot right now.

Finally picked up my 110 yesterday, and i have the clearsight rear view mirror (so i have that fin thing on the top of the car that holds the camera). I had previously measured this out, but not taking into account the extra 3" or so of fin on the top. Long story short, BARELY managed to get the car in the garage, but now I'm realizing the metal beam on the door would rip this camera right out if i backed out of the garage (it's angled and extends about 2" from the door, so i have like half an inch of clearance going in, but none if trying to back out). So now i am waiting for a garage door guy to come and help me get the car out.

Anyone have any helpful hints? Similar stories? is it possible to extend the tracks on a garage door so that the door will lift up an extra couple of inches?
UPDATE: Car is out (detached the door and had my fiancée hold the door up so i could back up). Garage guy came and gave me a quote on a new door that will give the extra height clearance needed to get the car in - like everything in this world, will be some months before that can be done because of back orders/supply chain nonsense (as is tradition). So here's hoping the 110 doesn't break in the cold weather. Big shout out to you guys for jumping on this one with suggestions though, really helpful.

The following 2 users liked this post by Couriki125:
GavinC (11-16-2021), Slates (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 01:25 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Top of defender inclusive of fin in lowest suspension mode is 75”. Our garage opening is 76.5”. I may be close to the same pickle you’re in currently. Mine lands next month…

keep us posted.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:31 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Slates
Top of defender inclusive of fin in lowest suspension mode is 75”. Our garage opening is 76.5”. I may be close to the same pickle you’re in currently. Mine lands next month…

keep us posted.
You might be able to squeak by just fine, was able to back out with someone holding the door up and my clearance is like 74 ish inches (without the person assisting).

Slates (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 01:40 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You might be able to squeak by just fine, was able to back out with someone holding the door up and my clearance is like 74 ish inches (without the person assisting).
Phew! Having a house built in 1925 and a garage from the 50’s makes life interesting.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:21 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

The height of the vehicle isnt different, its the angle of this metal bar at the base of the door - when the door is up, the metal bar at the base of the door is angled, so there is clearance when going in. When backing out, the tip of the camera fin would catch on the other end of that same metal piece
Sorry for the pedantry and feel free to ignore me, but this question is randomly bugging me because it seems to break Euclidean geometry. Am I completely missing something? Going forwards or backwards doesn't change the relative positions of the components whether they are angled or not. It's just not physically possible for it not to hit going forwards but then to hit going backwards unless the vehicle or the bar changed heights in the process. What if you stopped on the way in with the fin directly below where you think it would hit on the way out? Obviously you could reverse without hitting it from that position.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
Sorry for the pedantry and feel free to ignore me, but this question is randomly bugging me because it seems to break Euclidean geometry. Am I completely missing something? Going forwards or backwards doesn't change the relative positions of the components whether they are angled or not. It's just not physically possible for it not to hit going forwards but then to hit going backwards unless the vehicle or the bar changed heights in the process. What if you stopped on the way in with the fin directly below where you think it would hit on the way out? Obviously you could reverse without hitting it from that position.
My geometry is weak, but what if there is a lip at the door that lifts the wheels slightly when they hit it.

The front wheels lifted might not alone cause the interference and the fin might just slip under the door. But once the rear wheels are lifted the height difference might be enough and if the rear of the fin backs up to the lip before the rear wheels drop couldn't that be the difference?

Or more simply maybe the fin rubbed gently on the way in and would hook on it going out?

Old 11-16-2021, 06:31 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

An EAS module such as the LLAMS I installed on my 2020 will give you that extra inch of lowered suspensions (below access height) at the flick of a switch and is probably cheaper than a new garage door. The big minus is that you do need to remember to flick that switch, it won't lower automatically. As a bonus though, you can raise the suspensions as well, independent of speed, for your future off-roading trips.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...roller-106539/

Last edited by umbertob; 11-16-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:21 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
My geometry is weak, but what if there is a lip at the door that lifts the wheels slightly when they hit it.

The front wheels lifted might not alone cause the interference and the fin might just slip under the door. But once the rear wheels are lifted the height difference might be enough and if the rear of the fin backs up to the lip before the rear wheels drop couldn't that be the difference?
The direction of travel shouldn't matter - the entire process is reversible in time. If you took a video of the vehicle driving in and played it backwards then it should look identical to a video of the vehicle reversing out.

Originally Posted by Kev M
Or more simply maybe the fin rubbed gently on the way in and would hook on it going out?
That is a possibility, but I took the OP to mean that it didn't touch on the way in.

Kev M (11-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Garage Door Problems