2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Door Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 06:38 AM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

I dropped the same math course four times in college before having to finally suffer through the class to complete my required credits to graduate…so I’m no help on the geometry hocus-pocus.

With that being said, if you do decide to do some garage door work confer your motor to a side mount (vs center one likely installed). You’ll gain even more height at the opening because it’s mounted higher on the side of the garage door plus the added benefit of being much more quiet. We had the same problem with our door, our garage door company actually did the adjustment on the old motor to raise it a 2 inches. We still did the new side motor when it came back in stock as well. Just a thought for when/if you go that route.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (11-20-2021)
Old 03-28-2022, 12:38 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Couriki125
If you want a daily dose of first world problems, you've come to the right place. Let me preface this by saying I feel like the world's biggest idiot right now.

Finally picked up my 110 yesterday, and i have the clearsight rear view mirror (so i have that fin thing on the top of the car that holds the camera). I had previously measured this out, but not taking into account the extra 3" or so of fin on the top. Long story short, BARELY managed to get the car in the garage, but now I'm realizing the metal beam on the door would rip this camera right out if i backed out of the garage (it's angled and extends about 2" from the door, so i have like half an inch of clearance going in, but none if trying to back out). So now i am waiting for a garage door guy to come and help me get the car out.

Anyone have any helpful hints? Similar stories? is it possible to extend the tracks on a garage door so that the door will lift up an extra couple of inches?
how tall is it to the top of the fin ?

Old 03-28-2022, 12:38 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta
Does anyone recommend a garage door repair service in Chandler? This morning I heard a loud pop and my garage door will not go up.
Sounds as simple as a broken door spring perhaps, which should be a relatively easy and inexpensive repair for any garage door repair outfit - nothing to do with electrics or electronics. Those big springs don't always outlive the life of the door, they do snap and break after several years of use, the heavier the door the shorter their life.

Last edited by umbertob; 03-28-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
Sounds as simple as a broken door spring perhaps, which should be a relatively easy and inexpensive repair for any garage door repair outfit - nothing to do with electrics or electronics. Those big springs don't always outlive the life of the door, they do snap and break after several years of use, the heavier the door the shorter their life.
Public service message. I'll do anything and everything construction related but those springs will kill you. Pay someone.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 04:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Listen to @_Allegedly ! I do a lot of stupid "stuff" and take it as an absolute point of pride to fix most everything around the house (even when my wife pleads for me to just hire it done), but I will NOT mess with garage doors. Find someone good (with real bonding / insurance). I'm sure there are some YouTube videos or what not of that stuff exploding. Plumbing, electricity, roofing, mod-ing an L663, woodwork, welding, you name it - I'm in. Garage doors beyond it squeeking or replacing the chain - I'm out...

Old 02-19-2024, 07:54 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Math can be a real beast sometimes, can't it? I also remember when we had our garage door serviced, the technician mentioned something similar about side-mounted motors. We ended up going that route too, and the difference was night and day. Quieter operation and extra height at the opening made a big difference. So yeah, definitely worth considering if you're thinking about garage door repairs or upgrades.

Last edited by Dewmonte; 02-21-2024 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:00 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garage door problems can throw a wrench in your day, can't they? I remember when my garage door started acting up—it was like it had a mind of its own! After a bit of poking around, I found out that the issue was with the sensor alignment. I tried adjusting it myself, but it just wasn't cooperating. That's when I decided to call in the cavalry and got in touch with a local garage door repair near me. They came out, took a look, and had it fixed up in a jiffy. It was such a relief! If you're dealing with a finicky garage door, I'd recommend giving a professional garage door repair near me a shout. They know their stuff and can save you a ton of headache.

Last edited by karrsenpravyugol; 06-14-2024 at 10:11 AM.