2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good way to fix the sticky side ladder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 03:45 PM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb A good way to fix the sticky side ladder?

It became so sticky that the entire car is shaking every time I tried to use the ladder. I didn't notice any rusting and have tried spry WD-40 into the latching mechanism, didn't seem to help. It seems to be a common issue, not sure if any of you have a good solution. Many thanks!

Old 06-23-2023, 08:25 PM
Mudding
Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Haven't dug into it yet. But I've got the same.

Was thinking of swapping it out for the Proud Rhino rear ladder. Although I got their (Lucky8) recovery board mounts and all the hardware for mounting is crap and all wrong. So I am starting to question myself.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:28 AM
Winching
Received 567 Likes on 301 Posts

I'm unclear what "sticky" refers to in this specific case but on the chance you're having an issue with the ladder releasing when you pull the release handle you might want to look at the actual latching mechanism. The "U" shaped latch that the hook hooks into can be slightly out of alignment. It can be gently bent back into alignment such that the hook part of the latching mechanism can fully release. I had this issue with mine.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 110 Posts

Aren't your vehicle still under warranty?

Unless the ladder has been damaged, I can see it can be considered as a warranty fix?

Old 06-26-2023, 11:51 AM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

No, it's out of warranty by milage.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:27 PM
Mudding
Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

There is a certain way to pull the ladder towards you when unlatching and then you can unfold and use the ladder. I had trouble with mine when I installed first until the time I learned how to pull at yourself first and then unfold. Quirky for sure but just give it a try. That is if your issue is related to unlatching and unfolding the ladder.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:36 PM
Mudding
Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wcc18999
There is a certain way to pull the ladder towards you when unlatching and then you can unfold and use the ladder. I had trouble with mine when I installed first until the time I learned how to pull at yourself first and then unfold. Quirky for sure but just give it a try. That is if your issue is related to unlatching and unfolding the ladder.
I think this is it with mine.
Only opened it a couple of times and was like "WTF, this is not working". Over the weekend I used it a bit more and towards the end figured out you need to pull on both ledges ("top" and unfolded "bottom") for it to come down. It's still sticky and requires more force than I would have thought. But I am going to attack it with some grease and WD-40 to see if that helps.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I made my sticker ladder much smoother. I decided to undo for bolt to remove the ladder from the frame to see what's going on. It turns out there are for stainless steel spring loaded bearings that snap into the aluminum groove in the ladder. Two on each side, top and bottom. That's why you have to pull on the top and the bottom to get the ladder out. They are also VERY STIFF. So stiff I can not depress the ball with my fingers, but only with pliers. They are on a very strong spring to keep it in place. The spring is so strong the stainless bearing is actually carving a groove in the aluminum. When I had it apart I put some thick grease on all four bearings. Hopefully it stays in place, but the ladder is much easier to deploy now. See pics below.