2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac spare tire dripping black goo on bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 05:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that is the same as our tire and all the other tires they have tried on our car. It is made in Germany with Landrover as that is what the LR stands for. A regular Goodyear tire company doesn't have these tires as they are at the Landrover dealers is what we have been told.

We are getting several people now sending us pictures of the same issue with the tires.

We get more goo on our car as we park with our nose down hill in our driveway so the goo is dripping more on the bumper then at the very back or dipping on the ground by missing the bumper.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have sent your Landrover appt at your dealer to our Landrover dealer. They are giving the information to the Goodyear rep to get someone to come out to your dealership on April 5th to view your car. We have been getting several people saying they are having the goo also dripping on the bumper from the US and other countries but all tires are from Germany with LR on them.
Thank you

Old 03-24-2021, 07:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Perfect, thanks. Hopefully the large sample size will help them determine the issue and ultimately the solution.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Was at the dealer yesterday getting my plates put on, they were aware of the tire issue. Their detail guy used a paint thinner on a rag and it came right off. They seemed to think it would stop over them.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:08 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just saw minor stain on my bumper and I have the 20" Duratrac.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This issue does not appear to be limited to the Duratrac tires. I have Goodyear Adventure AT tires on my Defender 110, and the spots appeared within days of driving off the lot, after a rain shower, even with the spare tire cover installed.

My detailer was able to remove the spots with one of his professional detailing products. He sees a lot of cars, and in his opinion it is a design flaw with the door rather than just a tire issue.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:41 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually i have the Adventure AT too, not Duratrac. Do you know what product he used and did he used a machine? I tried with some rubbing alcohol without luck.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:41 PM
Three Wheeling

The guy from the detail shop at the dealer said it was a paint thinner but I didn’t catch the brand unfortunately. He poured a little on a rag and wiped the stain off pretty quick. Fingers crossed, it hasn’t come back yet.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Paint thinner is a strong organic solvent. It'll take the clear with it if you use enough or allow for a long enough exposure. It's the nuclear option. Try less aggressive solvents first.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

@BaconL I talked to my detailer today, and got the name of the product he used to remove these spots from my 2021 Defender's rear bumper and stainless steel scuff plate.

It's called "3D One - Scratch & Swirl Remover Rubbing Compound & Finishing Polish" and is available on Amazon (in the US, at least). No machine used, just a microfiber cloth. Keep in mind that the stains on my bumper were new since I just bought the car. If the stains on your bumper have had time to set in you may have a harder time removing them.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac spare tire dripping black goo on bumper