Old 04-09-2021, 08:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try acetone worked on ours.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:51 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had LR GoodYear All Terrains - swapped for Goodyear Ultraterrain

Any updates on potential causes or rectification? My 2021 defender came with the Goodyear all-terrain tires on 20 inch wheels. I needed more aggressive tires and have had good luck with the Goodyear ultra terrain’s on previous vehicles. Great fit performance and looking tire, but I am still getting new staining on the bumper in the same spots. Never had the ultra terrains drip any stains on previous vehicles, wondering if it’s from something else????

Old 07-08-2021, 10:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Goodyear Duratrac Update with JLR

I have been wanting to update all of you the Goodyear Duratrac tire dripping residue saga. Thanks to all of you who have responded with the same issue we have finally got some attention form corporate Land Rover and Goodyear. It took a bit of effort and persistance from our local dealer to go above normal channels to get corporate JLR's attention but I think that they now realize the scope and magnitude of this issue. This is occurring throughout the US and all over the globe. We have been sent numerous responses from other owners throughout the US and other parts of the world and also found the issue to be occurring on the Goodyear Wrangler AT's that come on the vehicle as the "off road" tire from the factory. When it rains, we have continued to have the residue drip onto the bumper, down over the parking sensors, onto our driveway and so on. Goodyear sent a technical representative to our house twice to take samples of the residue from the tires, the rims, the bumper and our driveway surface. These samples were then FedEx'ed to their labs and we are awaiting a response. My guess is that you will never know the real issue as this exposes Goodyear to a massive recall or class action law suit. At first Goodyear tried to lay blame on the car soap we used, only to find out that due to the problems, our local dealer was the only one to ever wash our defender. They then told JLR to change their car wash soap. The dealer washes hundreds of vehicles a month and has not had this problem other than with these tires. We took delivery in October 2020 and we still cannot wash my own car until this is resolved. This has gone on way too long.

Goodyear has now pulled all of these tires from our local dealer and will refund us for all 10 of our tires. This includes the five that came on the vehicle from the factory and the five Duratracs we purchased. Land Rover is going to replace our bumper cover, parking sensors and two rims they scratched with numerous tire replacements. Our local dealer, especially the parts department, has been a strong vocal advocate for us to JLR and Goodyear. We do not want to make these repairs/replacements until we know what tires we can install in their place that are real off-road tires. We are awaiting for JLR to "authorize" and warranty an alternate tire and size.

This tire problem seems to be limited to the tires manufactured for Land Rover in the German plant. All of these OEM spec Goodyear tires have a "LR" on the coding indicating that this is a specific manufacture by Goodyear for the Land Rover Defender. Whatever the oils or substance is that is leaching from these tires needs to be corrected on the Goodyear manufacturing end. I am sure that this residue may also pose environmental issues as well.

The following users liked this post:
dj200 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 01:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by SAR-Rovers
I have been wanting to update all of you the Goodyear Duratrac tire dripping residue saga. Thanks to all of you who have responded with the same issue we have finally got some attention form corporate Land Rover and Goodyear. It took a bit of effort and persistance from our local dealer to go above normal channels to get corporate JLR's attention but I think that they now realize the scope and magnitude of this issue. This is occurring throughout the US and all over the globe. We have been sent numerous responses from other owners throughout the US and other parts of the world and also found the issue to be occurring on the Goodyear Wrangler AT's that come on the vehicle as the "off road" tire from the factory. When it rains, we have continued to have the residue drip onto the bumper, down over the parking sensors, onto our driveway and so on. Goodyear sent a technical representative to our house twice to take samples of the residue from the tires, the rims, the bumper and our driveway surface. These samples were then FedEx'ed to their labs and we are awaiting a response. My guess is that you will never know the real issue as this exposes Goodyear to a massive recall or class action law suit. At first Goodyear tried to lay blame on the car soap we used, only to find out that due to the problems, our local dealer was the only one to ever wash our defender. They then told JLR to change their car wash soap. The dealer washes hundreds of vehicles a month and has not had this problem other than with these tires. We took delivery in October 2020 and we still cannot wash my own car until this is resolved. This has gone on way too long.

Goodyear has now pulled all of these tires from our local dealer and will refund us for all 10 of our tires. This includes the five that came on the vehicle from the factory and the five Duratracs we purchased. Land Rover is going to replace our bumper cover, parking sensors and two rims they scratched with numerous tire replacements. Our local dealer, especially the parts department, has been a strong vocal advocate for us to JLR and Goodyear. We do not want to make these repairs/replacements until we know what tires we can install in their place that are real off-road tires. We are awaiting for JLR to "authorize" and warranty an alternate tire and size.

This tire problem seems to be limited to the tires manufactured for Land Rover in the German plant. All of these OEM spec Goodyear tires have a "LR" on the coding indicating that this is a specific manufacture by Goodyear for the Land Rover Defender. Whatever the oils or substance is that is leaching from these tires needs to be corrected on the Goodyear manufacturing end. I am sure that this residue may also pose environmental issues as well.
"More common in higher quality tires"

https://takeayard.com/tire-marks-driveways/

Old 07-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Back in march when i went to a dealer to test drive/place my order, the Defender I tested had the dripping black marks. I pointed it out to the sales associate and it was the first he had heard of it/noticed it. I guess all dealers are not aware of this issue yet. This was on a 2021.

Has anyone seen this issue on a 2022? Maybe they fixed it?

pic:

Old 07-09-2021, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahparke
Back in march when i went to a dealer to test drive/place my order, the Defender I tested had the dripping black marks. I pointed it out to the sales associate and it was the first he had heard of it/noticed it. I guess all dealers are not aware of this issue yet. This was on a 2021.

Has anyone seen this issue on a 2022? Maybe they fixed it?
My 2-week old 22 110 with the Goodyear ATs is doing it. Haven't taken it in or anything yet.

The following users liked this post:
Ahparke (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 03:39 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

This may be a bit of treating the symptom and not the cause, but perhaps going with a spare tire cover?

Old 07-19-2021, 07:46 PM
Drifting
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
My 2-week old 22 110 with the Goodyear ATs is doing it. Haven't taken it in or anything yet.
My month old D90 now has them following the 5 inches of rain we had last weekend. Will work on it this weekend, if not, it's going back to the dealer....

Old 01-16-2022, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Has this issue been resolved? Just curious - thanks

Old 01-17-2022, 08:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine hasn’t come back since the original issue last spring.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac spare tire dripping black goo on bumper